Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anyone ever wondered,  (Read 836 times)

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has anyone ever wondered,
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:03:38 pm »

How it is that dwarves always arrive at the location at the exact same season no matter how far away they are?
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever wondered,
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:07:51 pm »

Excellent planning.  They use the dwarven version of Google Maps, then time it so they arrive precisely on the first of the year.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 06:08:27 pm »

Dwarves are both superstitious and methodical.  they MUST arrive at the first of the year, and embark from home leaving time for that.  If they arrive early, they circle the site without entering until 1 Granite.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 06:09:32 pm »

Plump helmets.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 06:11:31 pm »

It's kind of like how they can see in the dark, mixed with how women who hang out together start syncing their body clocks, if you will. At a certain point every year, their beards begin to tremble. After about a week, they seem to "wake up", and physically drag the dwarves to a new location. Strangely, this only happens in the original Mountainhome, and even if the dwarven capital is moved that spot's dwarves are the only ones affected. This has come to be known as the "Great Migration", and occurs every year between the Great Birthing and Goblin Christmas.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 06:45:06 pm »

I always thought it's because they actually use a dimensional 'high-way' to their intended destination, sort of like the 'Shadow-Dimension' dwarves access to build walls and such. The journey through it is extremely dangerous, and their beards are prone to a lot of pain during the duration, but it always gets them there at Spring-Which can be a help or a hindrance, depending on the distance of the destination.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.