Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Your nerdy bragging rights  (Read 13432 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your nerdy bragging rights
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2011, 09:32:25 pm »

Do you like learning things, regardless of their utility?

Majors: pure mathematics and rhetoric.

Also, I have never, ever asked the question "what will we use this for?"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2011, 09:32:28 pm »

A nerd is to education and intelligent culture as a jock is to sports and reality television.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2011, 09:34:41 pm »

Ah-ha, analogies!  Now I understand what we are talking about >_> <________________<

(The whale is about to eat the flounder with its baleen)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2011, 09:38:03 pm »

Guess that makes me a geek then.. At least the kind that would NOT want to dress himself up just because of some convention.. ...
Actually, I have never been to a convention now I mention it..
Those things never happen here in Greenland..
wait..
There is the yearly business convention.. But that one dosn't count, was only there as a part of my job.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2011, 09:40:56 pm »

I went to my first gencon at age 17, and dressed up as a one of my D&D characters... a drow.  Painted all my skin black and my hair white, and made a bunch of stuff (mom did most of the work)... including a cloak that I continued to wear instead of a coat through two winters.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2011, 09:41:24 pm »

The definition of a nerd is somebody that has or enjoys obtaining information, often to the point of single mindedness. So a general nerd would have tons of random knowledge, whilst an anime nerd could basically tell you the entire plot line of some obscure series, then continue to talk about nothing but anime. However, singular nerds such as the aforementioned example are very rare, as many nerds often have vast amounts of knowledge about multiple subjects. I believe that the japanese equivilant is Otaku. Oh, I'm a nerd nerd :P

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2011, 09:41:58 pm »

If there were any kind of nerd convention near where I live, I would so fucking dress up. I want to get as nerdy as I possibley can before im a full grown adult.

Although im sure my dad wouldn't be to happy to know that his son dresses up and goes to a large convention with strangers.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2011, 09:42:21 pm »

(The whale is about to eat the flounder with its baleen)
It will have the most shifty-eyed indigestion.

I went to my first gencon at age 17, and dressed up as a one of my D&D characters... a drow.  Painted all my skin black and my hair white, and made a bunch of stuff (mom did most of the work)... including a cloak that I continued to wear instead of a coat through two winters.
Thread's over guys, SalmonGod just won it. I am impressed, sir.

EDIT: Sweet JEGUS, people, you post every time I read a post!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2011, 09:44:26 pm »

I wish there was a nerd convention near where I lived.  :( Wouldn't dress up though.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2011, 09:47:34 pm »

Cosplay is great fun :)

I wanted to dress up as Kefka for this past gencon, but dragged my feet on it too much...

Anyway, I'm not trying to win.  I'm just having fun being proud of my nerdiness :P

Though I'm not sure I qualify as nerdy so much as geeky, which I see as being more on the cultural side vs nerdy which is more on the scientific side... but that's purely my own terminology that doesn't seem to match up with a lot of people.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2011, 09:53:02 pm »

What are your nerdiest bragging rights? Did you kill a dragon with a single massive damage critical hit in Dungeons and Dragons? Are you the proud owner of the most horrifying Chaos hordes in Warhammer Fantasy Battles? Do your programs run into tens of thousands of lines of code? Brag about your nerdiness here :P

I'll start off by blowing you all out of the water, I constructed my own alphabet which I use as a kind of shorthand:

Linking it here because it's far too big to put in a post.

That's the page that my alphabet evolved on, the more current versions of it are in the middle (I write weirdly when creating stuff :P) You may also notice the distinct rune-like feel to it. Yes, my love of dwarves is to blame for that :P

Nice! I created a language with a traditional, archaic, and ornate version, based on Latin, Arabic, German, Gaelic, and a few other languages when I was 9-10 years old to distract me when my father died. Since then I've been working on an Epic Fantasy novel series and a scifi post-apocalyptic series as well, on and off.

I called the language Arkhan'a, an obvious draw from Arcana. Weirdly enough, I only got into Fantasy AFTER I started my novel... *shrug* It looks a lot like an odd backwards version of English and Portuguese until I was around 13, where I started learning German and Italian and teaching myself Latin based on my knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese, and figured I could incorporate custom grammatical rules to mimic the connectivity between words in order to make them flow naturally. From there, I decided to base the language mostly on Latin, though I incorporated a bit of Hieroglyphic and cuneiform into the written forms. Since the main plot of my Fantasy stories is outlined by a series of legends/prophecies written in the Archaic form of Arkhan'a, a sort of draw on the Eddas and my love of the Nordic faiths and legends.

All in all, its been very fun designing it over the years. As an Air Force Linguist and intelligence officer, I'm damn sure I'll have many new things to add once I'm done with my run in 6 years. :) My primary focus has been on actually creating words and expressions, not so much on the alphabet. I finished the alphabet when I was 14, but I lost it all in a fire and I am no longer fluent in the language. Since I rarely have the time to delve into my fantasy world, I'm having a hell of a time recreating the alphabet, though I've still got a few dozen words. Just enough to create a few sentences, mostly comprised of storyline words that I'd definitely remember. Words that are more vague, well, I'll either remember them or make them up as I go.

What inspired you to write your language, mate, and how much have you done with it? Always a pleasure to meet a fellow liguistic architect :)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2011, 09:55:32 pm »

^ You remind me of one of my best friends, but his base for his main conlang was Thai.  A pleasure to meet you, sir =)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2011, 10:04:30 pm »

The definition of a nerd is somebody that has or enjoys obtaining information, often to the point of single mindedness. So a general nerd would have tons of random knowledge, whilst an anime nerd could basically tell you the entire plot line of some obscure series, then continue to talk about nothing but anime. However, singular nerds such as the aforementioned example are very rare, as many nerds often have vast amounts of knowledge about multiple subjects. I believe that the japanese equivilant is Otaku. Oh, I'm a nerd nerd :P

That would make me a nerd as well.. Since I have often surprised friends and family of various knowledge ranging from ancient Egypt, dinoaurs and .. uuh.. too long list to mention. But gaming and anime is among there as well.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:14:04 pm by Ultimuh »

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2011, 10:04:39 pm »

^ You remind me of one of my best friends, but his base for his main conlang was Thai.  A pleasure to meet you, sir =)

A pleasure indeed. :)

...Isn't Thai an actual dialect? ;P </Satirical-American-Ignorance>
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2011, 10:11:49 pm »

Is there a specific label for a nerd who specializes in wanting to know all the random everythings?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15