Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Your nerdy bragging rights  (Read 13404 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your nerdy bragging rights
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 09:34:51 pm »

I always leave a chunk of my brain available for making puzzles and games out of the things I encounter; say I'm in a room with a random pattern of black and white tiles on the floor. While I'm carrying a conversation, that compartment of my brain is trying to determine how to arrange the tiles into a 10x10 checkerboard using the fewest translations possible. Say I hear a bird song; I'll try to pinpoint the birds position without looking, by moving, stopping, and listening, repeating this until I have enough data points to point straight to its location.

As for more general Nerd Cred... My bookshelf is primarily filled with textbooks, references, and encyclopedias. I always keep a notebook and pencil in my pocket, and fill it with new facts I've learned, sketches, character and plot concepts for stories, neat tunes I come up with, and all sorts of loose threads of ideas that I'd like to make into something some day. Also, the extent of my dancing ability involves balling my hands into loose fists, and alternating them up and down, while shuffling my feet to the music.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:36:25 pm by Solifuge »

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 09:39:15 pm »

I was going to say "Beat NES Ninja Gaiden", but you guy clearly blow that out of the water

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2011, 09:42:44 pm »

Try "Beat LoZ on NES without a walk through"
Took a few years there, but I did it.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2011, 11:04:18 pm »

Does playing Yu-Gi-Oh on-and-off for nine years count? How about memorizing the plots of about eight different manga series? Knowing the ins and outs of Troll Romance off by heart?

What?  ???
What what? Oh, wait, I forgot not everyone here reads Homestuck.
くコ:彡

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 11:07:22 pm »

Although not reading homestuck won't win you any nerd grist.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 11:18:17 pm »

Does playing Yu-Gi-Oh on-and-off for nine years count? How about memorizing the plots of about eight different manga series? Knowing the ins and outs of Troll Romance off by heart?

What?  ???
What what? Oh, wait, I forgot not everyone here reads Homestuck.

I did, until I stopped some time before trolls were introduced.
Maybe I should start reading again?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2011, 11:19:07 pm »

Shit suddenly get's epic so fast it gives you whip lash.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2011, 11:20:08 pm »

Yeah, and then you get addicted to the story. Weeks later you'll find yourself in a gutter begging people to let you see Homestuck fanfiction, its a slippery slope man.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 03:39:24 am »

I was going to post some nerdy stuff I do, but you all blow me out of  the water. Eh, might as well still try. I have Nethack and a couple of other rougelikes installed, I'm a Minecraft pro, I'm a brony, I'm a fan of XKCD, I'm a trekkie, I'm starting to like Doctor Who, I can't hold small talk with a person (I always try to get into deeper discussions), and other assorted nerdy things.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2011, 04:09:27 am »

Small talk also evades me. It bores me, quite frankly. 99% of my discussions are of deeper things, the other 1% tends to be me brainfarting so hard I follow through, and ruining whatever conversation was around at the time.

Say I hear a bird song; I'll try to pinpoint the birds position without looking, by moving, stopping, and listening, repeating this until I have enough data points to point straight to its location.

This. This is cool. I'm going to try this :P

Also, I have a large amount of wall dedicated to textbooks and whatnot. Most of them are about history, though there are several computing ones in there somewhere. Unfortunately, due to my incredibly chaotic nature, they're not in the least bit organised. I really need to shift them round at some point however, the weight has bent the bookshelves waaaaay out. To the point where there is now a 2-3 inch gap between the shelf and the wall on both sides. I'm also just at the beginning of a Computing degree - software development, with a focus on AI at the end. Looking forwards to that, I hope to somehow build in procedural generation into an AI structure, perhaps randomly generated personality? I have no idea yet, they're just vague "maybes" since I don't know anything about AI just yet. :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2011, 06:08:30 am »

To clarify, I meant that I have spent actually at least 21 24 hour periods on gaming. As in total play time of every game I've ever played collected into one. And in retrospect, it's probably higher than that. I know for a fact that I put at least 300 hours into super smash bros melee. So that's nearly a month of my life, hour for hour, that was dedicated to playing games.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2011, 06:54:46 am »

I am a keeper of secrets man were never meant to know, that if abused might doom the world.

I know techniques of brainwashing and mind control.

I practice advanced decision theory which gives abilities similar to certain limited time travel.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2011, 01:18:56 pm »

I came into this thread expecting to have a lot to say, but darn, I'm not as nerdy as I thought.  Too lazy I suppose.

A few things that did come to mind though:

I'm a programmer and know 8 languages well enough to code competently in, althought I'd only consider myself employable in 3 of them (C, C++ and PHP).  Convenient that I do use those at work.

I'm pursuing a Ph.D in computer science, and that requires at least a small degree of nerdiness.

I once designed a file system, wrote a tool to manage virtual images of said file system, wrote a boot loader to boot an OS kernel from it and then wrote about 5 lines of the actual OS I intended to implement.  Lesson learned: OS development is a ton of work for little benefit.  I'd like to revisit this project someday.

I've made some small chain mail pieces with the intention of eventuall working my way up to making a suit of plate armor, but finding time to do that when you work, are a grad student and play Everquest is tough.

I also kind of hate to admit it, but I've also written 2 complete fan novels from the Sonic the Hedgehog universe.  Does that count as nerdy, geeky, or something else even less palatable?  To be fair it was from the SatAM universe (not the now horrid Sega of Japan stuff), with extra lasers and plasma guns for flavor.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2011, 01:26:26 pm »

Yea, its cutting by the BBC kinda spolied my fun a lil.[

How far did you get?

Televised stages several times, finals once. Many more non tv touring events.
This is a blank sig.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2011, 01:31:20 pm »

My dad knew Gary Gygax and went to Gencon in the late 70's, when it was a fairly small, unorganized, and uncommercialized event.  Back then, the event didn't have a predetermined ending.  People showed up and gamed until they had enough or life prevented them for staying any longer.  He said this ended up being a couple weeks.  His best friend went too, and designed a wizard's staff that was rigged to puff out a small fireball from the tip when he pressed a button on the side.  Back then, there were no rules regarding things like that or my dad carrying a real sword in costume.  Gencon is now the largest, and arguably nerdiest, annual gathering of nerds on the planet.  As a toddler, I rolled my parent's dice for them on the weekends.

My earliest memory is the first time I played a computer game.  It was in a lab on the University of Wisconsin campus where both my parents were going to school at the time.  I was 2 1/2 years old.  I remember being impressed with the giant laser that was hanging from the ceiling (controlled by the computer I was playing on).  The game was Frogger.

I read The Hobbit when I was 6 years old.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15