Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Your nerdy bragging rights  (Read 13406 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Your nerdy bragging rights
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2011, 06:51:37 pm »

About all of this DnD stuff; I am personally a huge fan of the D6 system that only uses supermarket grade D6s. Oh, and it doesn't cost out the ass to be able to play since the company that made it shut down and the books are available for free in pdf format. One more testament to my nerdiness: My cat's name is Zelda. Yes, named after one of my favorite game series ever.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2011, 07:17:09 pm »

I used to play an online MMO, I took up the job of building units for other people.

I constructed a build-calculator in microsoft spreadsheet to calculate the cost and tax on all of my sales. (I visited a year after quitting the game, one of my faction-mates still used it)

I also used my graphing calculator's spreadsheet to make a limit finder for my calculus class. (Now I'm using it to find tangent lines)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:18:58 pm by darkrider2 »

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2011, 07:34:50 pm »

I'm john carmack and I invented Doom.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2011, 07:36:15 pm »

Lies, John Romero's hair invented Doom.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2011, 08:49:28 pm »

About all of this DnD stuff; I am personally a huge fan of the D6 system that only uses supermarket grade D6s. Oh, and it doesn't cost out the ass to be able to play since the company that made it shut down and the books are available for free in pdf format. One more testament to my nerdiness: My cat's name is Zelda. Yes, named after one of my favorite game series ever.

You're referring to West End Games, right?  I thought it was a tragedy when they went bankrupt.  I liked their Star Wars D6 game so much better than the D20 version.  In general I detest the D20 system.

The only advantage it has is its simplicity, which makes it more accessible to players.  I like to have more flexibility, darn it.  GURPS is perfect for this.  I can have a wizard wearing plate armor with a SMG if I really want to (and have the character points for it).
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2011, 08:52:08 pm »

My dad took me to his workplace during the holidays when no one was actually working so we could play Doom over the network.  This was when I was like 12, and businesses didn't really understand the whole technology thing yet.

I also made these.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I showed those off in a thread on zbrushcentral and the original creator of several of the physical maquettes that were used to produce the stop motion animation in Doom complimented my work.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2011, 08:53:44 pm »

and businesses didn't really understand the whole technology thing yet.

I miss those times..
..And those Doom demons looks nice. Thumbs up!  :D

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2011, 09:08:55 pm »

Yeah, west end games. I did always think it was weird how they released three different rule books for D6 under different genres that had like one extra section each. I also use the D6 system to introduce fellow students to role playing. Most don't even know what it is and any mention of DnD is equal to Super uber mega nerd. Then I get them to play, and tell them that this is what DnD is like. Their mind=blown.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2011, 09:18:15 pm »

I don't really have alot of nerdy stuff to brag about really. But me and my friends at Lunch would always play an improv RTD every day, it usually ended up to be extremely hilarious. Although all of the teachers and the other students looked at us funny :/
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2011, 09:21:23 pm »

Gah, I can't get my friends to role play in public. I wish I could. But they will play chess in public :D

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2011, 09:23:12 pm »

Gah, I can't get my friends to role play in public. I wish I could. But they will play chess in public :D

People want to act like intellectuals in public.
People don't want to act like nerds in public.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2011, 09:24:05 pm »

You don't know how untrue this was for me and my group of friends, we were all really really stupid and we wanted to act like Nerds in public.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2011, 09:25:06 pm »

You don't know how untrue this was for me and my group of friends, we were all really really stupid and we wanted to act like Nerds in public.

SOME people then.
I guess it's 50/50.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2011, 09:28:27 pm »

I actually have no idea what a nerd is, at this point, though that may be the best way to tell that I am one =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »

Do you like learning things, regardless of their utility?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15