Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Your nerdy bragging rights  (Read 13397 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your nerdy bragging rights
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2011, 01:32:35 pm »

I was going to say "Beat NES Ninja Gaiden", but you guy clearly blow that out of the water
You could always beat Battletoads. :P
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2011, 01:35:54 pm »

Almost forgot.  My family still owns a fully functional Virtual Boy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2011, 01:48:13 pm »

Almost forgot.  My family still owns a fully functional Virtual Boy.
Pinocchio?

Also, there's a picture of me (well, most of me) in the newest FAILblog book that just came out. My 15 minutes of shame.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:50:31 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2011, 01:51:13 pm »

Yay, fellow nerds! I almost feel at home here. :P
Anyways, let's see now.

I'm decently acquaintanced with Assembler. Not by choice, but i can code them PIC chips to do shit. And in the same vein, i can (almost) do electronics (my exam project ended up mirrored horizontally, but i still passed :U).

I've been gaming since i went to kindergarten. Not that i was any good back then, but yeah.

I'm currently studying geology. Dunno exactly how nerdy it is, but there aren't a whole lot of geology students in Denmark.

I've written one and a half sci-fi stories, and one of them was for school, which got me top marks. The other one is much longer, but unfinished. The two parts i have done take up almost 60 A4 pages (in Word). The nerdier part comes in when you realize that i'm writing in first person as an ogre (in this case, human-gorilla hybrid). You can find them both in my deviantArt site, but because they're labelled mature (by myself, since they're pretty violent), i'll save you the link. :P

I've made half a game too (in GameMaker but fork you it takes a shitboat of effort anyways, i did all the spriting myself). A vertical space shooter with a few twists, and loads of time-consuming sprites.

I love writing huge walls of text about all the pixel art i make, especially if it actually depicts something specific. I can't make stuff without an idea, and i don't make it before that idea is really thought through. I guess i should just shorten this down to "i have a fantasy/sci-fi universe running in my head all the time", but that's nearing an understatement. ¯\(°_o)/¯

Nothing like Telgin or SalmonGod, but i do consider myself an ok-ish nerd. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2011, 01:55:37 pm »

For the record, anyone who plays Dwarf Fortress is elite nerd material in my book.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2011, 02:01:24 pm »

For the record, anyone who plays Dwarf Fortress is elite nerd material in my book.

. . . . Hohohoho
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2011, 02:01:46 pm »

By its very nature it attracts those of us that are more than a little unorthadox.
This is a blank sig.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2011, 02:04:08 pm »

. . . . Hohohoho

Not like you need the extra credentials, Vector :P

Though I would love to see what you would do with the game.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2011, 02:20:02 pm »

. . . . Hohohoho

Not like you need the extra credentials, Vector :P

Though I would love to see what you would do with the game.
Urist Astangnalith, Bookkeeper cancels task: Seeking Mersenne primes.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2011, 02:48:06 pm »

I'd expect a magma computer that calculates the exact value of pi.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2011, 03:03:31 pm »

e or tau as opposed to pi would be nerdier.
This is a blank sig.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2011, 03:34:50 pm »

I have a few merits.

Besides having beaten well over 100 video games over the course of my life (personal bragging right, just want to see how many I can beat before an end comes; be it, end of the world or an untimely end of my life, God forbid.) I've been an intuitive gamer since I was 2. I was even able to pick up and play games before my brothers have finished reading the manuals, and already made plenty of progress in a new game.

To this day, I'm still able to pick up on things pretty damn quick to the point that my brothers sometimes actively seek games I might suck at, just so they can have a fighting chance against me. Mind you, they're pretty skilled players, and have, at one time or another, regularly beaten me to a pulp in some games; that is, until I reverse engineer their tactics (like with Magicka and the death glacier move I kept on getting dominated by until I learned it and fired back, I caught up), kinematically trace a sniper shot (after I get popped or hear a whizzing noise, I immediately figure out within moments where it came from and make that spot no longer safe), or stumble across a nuke and find a good time to use it (me + redeemers/BFG9k = Utter Doom). It also gets so bad, there have to be rules set against me to even the odds (like no BFG use for me).

I've also taken time to designing quite a few weapons/ships/etc. to more practical measures, and then making them look stylish. Some accidentally fall into the Awesome, But Impractical range (Bladeships, for example. Ship hulls are designed around bladed weapon for literal aerial melee combat, and guns/missiles are secondary to their design Example - Sai Multirole Zipcraft.), and others Awesome, Yet Practical (Imagine an airship with thrust-vectoring, an energy beam weapon, and the capability of doing hairpin turns in mid-air (while firing said beam weapon), as well as supply enough crew to pilot a wing of defensive and supply craft along with manning all the gun batteries (hidden as part of the hull for design aesthetic and surprise attack/defense), supporting a dual-bridge for redundant control in case one gets disabled or destroyed as a weak point, carries an internal ballast system to support it's many types of maneuvers and is aerodynamic enough remain intact while doing a barrel roll or corkscrew maneuver to take out it's targets. You can barnstorm with this thing, despite it's size being comparable to a battleship. I think I also made it capable of going sub-orbital (for really fast global transit with minimal fuel cost from point-A to generally point-B (within a few miles accuracy)). It's insane (or OP) enough for me to label it as worthy of Flagship status.

Yes, I even took it upon myself to design my own font in the process like that. It looked cool, but got too difficult to read for others.

EDIT:
I also regularly use Microsoft Excel to make all sorts of things, either to make certain tasks, like accounting (Finance tracker, hourly income tracker + tax tracking, Freelance Business Invoicing; all self-produced, and more effective/efficient than purchasable software), easier; to build trivial calculators and such (hypothetical situations, logic puzzles, or inane trivial stuff like the human age of a car based on the miles put on it (I get bored)); or to chart the efficiency of certain tactics in TBS (like Civilization) or RTS games (like AOE2) by listing the time it takes to produce a unit, and with modifiers to speed it up, along with constructing buildings and with modifiers (depending also on how many units are dedicated to building at a time or overall), and the estimated overall cost of such tasks. Deadly stuff when used correctly.

Sometimes, if I have a self-imposed challenge or a game-within-a-game for a game that's more free-form (like The Sims) or sandbox (like GTA); I also setup charts and scorecards and so forth to keep track of the stats or randomize tasks or whatever to keep it interesting. Or adapt other games that other people have established, set them as parameters, fill in a few blanks, and make the scoring that much easier to keep track of when playing, making them more fun than initially implied.

Those kinds of scorecards and such also make random games like sock golf (make a sock donut and get a cup and try and sink the shot using the house or yard as a golf course) more interesting because it tracks the score, and also you can allow modifiers/multipliers depending on certain other factors. That one Beer Pong like game that's sold in stores (that also features a deck of special shots to try out) got really fun when I allowed modifying certain trick shots with more difficulty (blind firing and such), and keeping track of those. Actually made the game even more fun in the long run.

EDIT EDIT:
I might eventually take up another attempt at the Airship Excalibur except in Blender this time (since I'm learning that). It's too awesome a project to work on to let go of.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:04:36 am by Itnetlolor »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2011, 04:00:55 pm »

My nickname is Pascal. I shit you not.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2011, 05:24:08 pm »

I was going to say "Beat NES Ninja Gaiden", but you guy clearly blow that out of the water
You could always beat Battletoads. :P

That reminds me that it took me until I was 23 to beat the original Super Mario Bros. (without using Mario All Stars, which lets you continue at the first part of the world you're in if you get a game over).  They just don't make games frustrating like they used to.  I never did play Battletoads or a few of the other famously difficult NES games, but I have no doubt they were brutal.

Oh, forgot one other nerdy qualification: I don't play D&D (well, I played the Star Wars version for a while after they discontinued the far superior D6 version), I play GURPS.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2011, 05:27:41 pm »

Oh, forgot one other nerdy qualification: I don't play D&D (well, I played the Star Wars version for a while after they discontinued the far superior D6 version), I play GURPS.

I cannot fucking stand D&D anymore and have refused to play it for at least 5 years.

I have a small bookshelf full of lesser known and indie role-play books that I've never played, because it's impossible to find people who play anything but D&D and White Wolf.  I still enjoy browsing them.  I've been intensely interested in Burning Wheel for a while.  I think the game mechanics are pure genius.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15