Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Your nerdy bragging rights  (Read 13387 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Your nerdy bragging rights
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2011, 05:06:33 am »

Let's see...
-I collect zombie movies. I've seen most of them over 100 times each, I never get enough of it.

-I'm a gun nut/gun lover/walking firearm encyclopedia in a country where owning a large picture of a gun could raise a few eyebrows from the local authorities. -> thus I play airsoft furiously as my only available substitute.

-I'm a tinkerer. I take things apart, try to learn their inner workings and in 99.9% of the cases I put them back together the right way. And amazingly, they still work. The 0.1% that fail, tend to do so in quite a spectacular way. I've also "saved the day" multiple times by fixing (read: patching) things in the middle of nowhere, with zip-ties, duct tape and spit. I never part with my EDC Kit which is filled with a load of "day-saving" crap.

-I'm also awesome with a sewing machine, a chainsaw, an angle grinder, I can use a lathe or a vertical milling machine, operate a bridge-crane or an excavator, pick simple locks, and all of this thanks to my Superhero Grandpa who insisted I should learn these things.

-I'm into geocaching, hiking, traveling, sight-seeing, as long as I do it on foot. I'm addicted to walking.

-I'm a gamer, and I've been playing computer games since 1985. Mostly I just waste my time in some open-ended sandbox game that people have stopped playing 10 years ago.

What kind of nerd does that make me?

The awesome kind. Hell, all I was able to learn from my f'd up family growing up is that, well, you can't rely on anyone. In light of your technical knowledge, my book smarts pale in comparison. FFffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu-
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2011, 05:23:47 am »

Before you start feeling bad.
I've been bullied by idiots all my 14 years of school, I'm a four-eyed, hunchbacked geek, I'm terribly dyslexic, to the point of repeatedly failing basic arithmetic and algebra (actually I lost 2 years of school thanks to that, and never did anything after highschool). Also, I'm shy and socially awkward.

I grew up in the shadow of my grandpa (amazing storyteller, locksmith, metalworker, survivor of both world wars, an ox of a man, not smart but wise beyond his years, and with a heart of gold)
and my father (mountain climber, tinkerer, fixer of all things that run on electric current, jeweler as a hobby, never caught kleptomaniac and all-around funny guy).
So... everything I do pales in comparison with my two Superheroes.  :)
The rest of my family is pretty effed up tho.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2011, 07:09:52 am »

What inspired you to write your language, mate, and how much have you done with it? Always a pleasure to meet a fellow liguistic architect :)

Not a language, just an alphabet. I would like to put together a conlang some day though. I took a -lot- of inspiration from Norse runes, particularly the elder futhark, along with the english alphabet. I also put a lot of emphasis on short, straight dashes as due to various mental things my hands shake more than a shellshock sufferer, which makes writing difficult, especially curved letters like c, o, e, etc. The alphabet (not got a name for it yet) has various forms that it can be written in, including a decorative vertical form, which can be seen in the picture.

Also! Random skills I have picked up over my short life:
- Basic lock picking
- Basic Electronics and soldering
- Computer construction and repair (hardware)
- Fine-detail model painting (have a special set-up on my desk to brace my head and hands against so that I can overcome my shaky hands)
- Basic story writing (I have examples if you would like)

And I'm proud to say, that I am 18 years old, and have 16 years experience working with computers :P My first computer was an Acorn, given to me when I was 2 years old. Ironlord, Twinworld and Moonquake all up in that.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2011, 07:41:31 am »

Woah, Nospherat. That's a lot like me in a lot of ways. Except my grandpa didn't teach me anything. I got allot of it from dad or curiosity...
Hence the hunt to learn everything...
But yeah, these aren't exactly nerdy claims to fame, though.

However...
Spoiler: Huge, Pikely W40k (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:53:54 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2011, 07:50:51 am »

Zombie Survival Nerd? It sounds like you could rebuild society from scratch, if only you had enough paper mache, wrenches, and tin foil.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2011, 08:48:00 am »

I was a programmer for a video game that sold over 2/3 million copies.
(company subsequently went bankrupt)
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2011, 08:48:58 am »

I was a programmer for a video game that sold over 2/3 million copies.
(company subsequently went bankrupt)
Was it Thief, by any chance?  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2011, 09:45:16 am »

Nah, it was Wheelman.

It's fun but not very good. If you try the demo please don't take it too seriously.

Oh, I also:
  • paint Warhammer 40k models (and have done some damn good painting of Warhammer Epic models too)
  • program for fun
  • wrote a software 3D renderer in C++ that makes extensive use of SSE/SSE2 intrinsics for speed and is templated to hell for flexibility
  • have another game with my name in the programmer credits due out "soon" (private trial upcoming, release next year)
  • gave a presentation on terrain systems for computer games to a room of masters students at a uni (even though I only have a bachelors degree)
  • play d&d occasionally (THAC0 from d&d2 sucks!)
  • hacked together a dual-processor server (which included cutting/joining traces on the cpu to enable dual-processor support, flashing the bios of a raid card to add raid-5 support, and grinding the corners off two heatsinks)
  • built my own network router
and probably more
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:57:06 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2011, 10:28:01 am »

Is there a specific label for a nerd who specializes in wanting to know all the random everythings?
Bumptious.

To be all-knowing is not a specialization, but a condition for godhood.  On the other hand, humility and modesty are no longer virtues, but pejorative words... particularly in the young.  Carry on, I guess.
I think bumptious would be more applicable if I actually thought I would ever succeed in knowing everything. The passion is in the journey, not the destination.
Not sure about merely wanting it; but I think the term you may be looking for describing people who at least make a decent attempt at it would be 'polymath.'

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2011, 11:30:20 am »

I'm so nerdy I don't have to explain it, it just wafts off me like a lingering flatulence.  ;D
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2011, 11:46:51 am »

Not sure about merely wanting it; but I think the term you may be looking for describing people who at least make a decent attempt at it would be 'polymath.'

This lead me to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_of_all_trades,_master_of_none

Which describes me in every culture!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2011, 12:06:44 pm »

This lead me to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_of_all_trades,_master_of_none

Which describes me in every culture!
The Thai one is awesome: "Know like duck."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2011, 01:41:58 pm »

Welcome, thief! I hope you'll stick around and be a part of our community! Oh, and try Dwarf Fortress :P It would probably be nice to have a professional programmer around.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2011, 01:44:52 pm »

Welcome, thief! I hope you'll stick around and be a part of our community! Oh, and try Dwarf Fortress :P It would probably be nice to have a professional programmer around.

Ummm....
Date Registered: September 09, 2009, 05:56:07 pm
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2011, 01:48:10 pm »

I blame it on my phone. I can't see post counts or registration dates. Thank you phone, for making me look like a bigger idiot yet to the community.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15