Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [Science!] Team colour Questionaire  (Read 4494 times)

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Science!] Team colour Questionaire
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:24:37 am »

Dear brothers and sisters, We've gone trough the data... cleaned it... made a coded version (where every answer is assigned a value) and made a couple of pie-charts.

We still need to analyse the results to find correlations, but already it seems that one of our hypothesis (that players who prefer a black team colour will confess a more aggressive playstyle) was false!

anyway as promised we're making the data public, Feel free to make your own copies and own charts! we would love to hear what you think the data means (mainly because it would help us formulate our final document ;) ) and to see what kind of glorious charts you can make.

once again, a big thank you to everyone who participated!

- Spreadsheet with Results and glorious pie charts! -
(to see the pie charts you'll have to change the spreadsheet page, this can be done at the bottom of the page.)
- Changelog and Codebook. -
- Raw questionnaire data. -

Also, feel free to discuss the research (science!) done.
(point out flaws/share ideas/unquestioned praise)

-----------------------------------------------------

Hello there brothers and sisters,

For my classwork I need to gather some information to do some research. for this brave task I need your help.

We're trying to get some insight in the way players use team colours in the real-time strategy genre. Together with a classmate I've compiled a 10 question questionnaire which shouldn't take more than two minutes of your precious time.

- Team Colour Questionaire -
The questionnaire has run for a full week and was closed, a big think you for everybody that participated! once we've analysed the data we'll make a new post here. :)

We look forward to seeing your input and thank you for your participation.

if people are interested I can make the results public after we're done with the information gathering phase.

disclaimer:
Participation is completely anonymous and it is impossible for us to remove entries after they have been submitted.
this questionnaire may also be posted on other forums.

Edit: Feel free to discuss the questionnaire or team colours in general :)
Edit2: Blue robin is an awesome spell checker! thanks man :D yeah, I did mean anonymous.

Edit4: results made public.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:19:18 am by Talvara »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Science!] Team colour Questionaire
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:01:44 am »

Submitted :)

Big ups to the green master race!
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:44:39 am »

Hmm that was interesting. Keep us updated on what you glean from the results!

Edit: also, do you mean participation is anonymous? Because unanimous is an odd word to choose for that context.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 09:53:28 am »

Submitted. I like how the tactical camouflage question was thrown in there; now that I think about it I did tend to use that quite a bit. And though my favorite color in general is green, I like black as a general rule (something about seeing a minimap filled with black colored units as they swarm the enemy a la Halo's Flood or Zerg pleases me, despite my aversion to rushing).
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:09:01 am »

Submitted

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 10:16:11 am »

I like olive green or purple, depending on what game it is. If I'm some alien race, purple looks badass on Zerg/Necron/Arglablarg. If I'm some endless mass of fascist infantry, olive green looks pretty awesome.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 10:45:26 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-selection_bias

You're not going to get useful data on game players in general by polling an internet forum, and I'm surprised you didn't already know that.

P.S. I pick something that blends into the background.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 11:58:14 am »

Submitted, good luck with whatever you're up to.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 12:22:20 pm »

You're not going to get useful data on game players in general by polling an internet forum, and I'm surprised you didn't already know that.

Given, but let's all make the assumption that he's also asking Mr Arando M. Person at every possible chance.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 12:26:02 pm »

Red teams go fasta!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 12:47:02 pm »

What an incredibly niche research topic. Is this for game design school or just some more generic college level course? I can see the data being of interest to game developers but I'm not sure exactly what you're going to say about it a general context. I mean, it's a decent research topic....I'm just curious what kind of professor/class you're explaining this to.

if people are interested I can make the results public after we're done with the information gathering phase.

Results prz.

And I don't think they've got as much of a selection bias, if the population they're interested in is gamers to begin with. Non-gamers could be a control group.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 06:41:15 pm »

What an incredibly niche research topic. Is this for game design school or just some more generic college level course? I can see the data being of interest to game developers but I'm not sure exactly what you're going to say about it a general context. I mean, it's a decent research topic....I'm just curious what kind of professor/class you're explaining this to.

Results prz.

And I don't think they've got as much of a selection bias, if the population they're interested in is gamers to begin with. Non-gamers could be a control group.

I'm a student at IGAD (international game architecture and design), which is a 4 year course on game design and production. its an international course based in the Netherlands (Breda to be exact).

This project is being done for our research branch (we have two lecturers that focus on game related research, one does more abstract research into games... and the other sticks diodes onto people and measures them while they play stimulating games) to have us learn about research methodology (and ethics).

our school has 4 disciplines which interact trough communal projects: Programmers, Visual artists, Game designers. and Indie devs (which is an offshoot branch that we don't interact with).

I'm a visual artist. which means that research isn't one of my core competencies but I still want to take a decent stab at it and hopefully produce something of value.

considering the timespan in which we can work (roughly 4 weeks) its very doubtful we can get any real statistical results (after half a day we have 98 responses) (very nice! its more than I was expecting!)

Since we're targeting gamers that actually play real-time strategy games I think the bias won't be that bad. (though we'll mention our sample pool in our documentation to avoid being deceitful)

the research won't be ground-breaking, but at the very least it should be interesting to get some insight into the subject :) (even if its biassed ;) )

(the reason why I've turned the questionnaire loose here. is because we're operating trough the voluntary generosity of your time, to avoid the frustrations of a spam-bot alert I've chosen to only work with forums where I already have a presence. I hope that doesn't sound too crazy :) )

to everybody that has already participated, thank you very much. I'm hoping we'll get plenty more responses!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 01:12:33 pm »

Hurray! I am not quite in the 29-40 pool of people!

I will be depressed when I have to click that box.

Good luck with your classes.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 02:08:59 pm »

Very interesting survey, although some of the questions are worded a bit odd. The playstyle one is a hefty oversimplification, but... eh.

As someone who's watched too much StarCraft and seen a lot of SC2 matches between red and blue, I feel very strongly about this issue. Please change the world. <3
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 02:49:24 pm »

Pink. Always pink. Throws your enemies off.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.
Pages: [1] 2 3