Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bedrooms: Have I've been wasting time  (Read 5696 times)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Bedrooms: Have I've been wasting time
« on: October 02, 2011, 02:52:33 pm »

Can I just designate a bedroom and let a dwarf claim it instead of assigning beds to 50+  dwarves.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
Re: Bedrooms: Have I've been wasting time
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 03:00:13 pm »

Yes, you can. If you make a bedroom and don't designate it a dormitory, some dwarf will come along and claim it for their own.

The ability to designate it for a specific dwarf is mostly for when you have nobles to keep happy, or want to reward one of your better dwarves with a better room, or one decked out in their favorite materials.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 03:03:18 pm »

Thank you, now I have one less reason to make migrants toil in the mud pits.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

SarZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 03:08:24 pm »

Yes, you can. If you make a bedroom and don't designate it a dormitory, some dwarf will come along and claim it for their own.

The ability to designate it for a specific dwarf is mostly for when you have nobles to keep happy, or want to reward one of your better dwarves with a better room, or one decked out in their favorite materials.
But will I still have to designate it as a bedroom, or not even that? Because assigning rooms as bedroom is almost as annoying as assigning them to a specific dwarf. If I need to do one, I can just as easily do the other at the same time...

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 03:15:44 pm »

You do have to designate it as a bedroom, or they'll sleep in the beds, but get the "didn't sleep in a proper room" unhappy thought.

Come to think of it, there are other reasons to designate bedrooms...you can designate your smith's bedrooms near the magma forges, for example, to reduce the amount of running around they have to do.

But if you're just assigning a random dwarf to a room without thinking about who they are and why you're assigning them that room, why do the extra work?

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 03:49:19 pm »

WAAAAIIIIITTTT...

So, you'r telling me I DO NOT have to assign EACH AND EVERY bed to an individual Dwarf and that they will AUTOMATICALLY obtain an open bedroom so long as I assign it as a bedroom?

My god.
Recently slaughtered by the undead!

SarZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 04:00:30 pm »

If this is true ... and they CLAIM bedrooms themselves ... then it should be in the WIKI, first line with big red flashing letters! Or better yet, change it in the CaptnDuck tutorial!
Gotta check this fast. If this is true, it will be the biggest /ifonlyIknewthisbefore moment in my DF experience.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 04:02:28 pm »

...I thought this was common knowledge?

"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 04:04:31 pm »

If this is true ... and they CLAIM bedrooms themselves ... then it should be in the WIKI, first line with big red flashing letters!
It is in the wiki, right here: "To turn a bed into a bedroom, you must (q)uery the bed, make a bed(r)oom out of it, and set it to the desired size. A dwarf will claim an unowned bedroom upon sleeping in it. The player can also manually assign bedrooms or change the ownership from one dwarf to another."
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

SarZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 04:29:22 pm »

Noooooo..... I just took it from the tutorial vids ... I always assigned every single bedroom ... No more!

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 04:35:42 pm »

Hahaha, I thought this was fairly common knowledge, too.  :P

I still go through the trouble of picking beds myself, though.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 05:19:43 pm »

I didn't think to look through the wiki regarding "bedrooms". I've looked up countless creatures, food production, farming, building, strategies, weapon and armor making, iron (which I still dont understand the types), materials, and countless other subjects... never thought to look up bedrooms or residency. I figured that you HAD to specify the room to a dwarf or it'd be idle.

D$%^.
Recently slaughtered by the undead!

Itsapaul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 06:57:37 pm »

Holy crap, someone needs to sticky this!  I didn't know either, I just assigned dwarfs their beds since that was how it was done in the tutorial and no one's mentioned anything to the contrary.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 01:08:28 am »

Its even better then that, you can just make one big room with 200 beds, make each into a bedroom taking up the entire area then toss in a couple of artifacts or engravings for 200 legendary bedrooms.  I call it a sleeping stockpile. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 06:09:27 am »

But will I still have to designate it as a bedroom, or not even that? Because assigning rooms as bedroom is almost as annoying as assigning them to a specific dwarf. If I need to do one, I can just as easily do the other at the same time...
It's pretty fast creating bedrooms, especially when you learn to use macros. q, find bed, Ctrl+r, r, +, +, +, Enter, Ctrl+r, find next bed, Ctrl+p, next bed, Ctrl+p, etc. :)
(not sure about exact keys, typing off the top of my head)
Pages: [1] 2 3