Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Underground Skyscraper  (Read 4858 times)

TheChosen

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Peasant
    • View Profile
Underground Skyscraper
« on: October 02, 2011, 11:26:30 am »

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:32:13 pm by TheChosen »
TheChosen cancels Mega-project: Too sane

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Skycraper
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 11:33:19 am »

If it can be done in real life it can be done in DF who will take me up on this?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 11:45:01 am »

I want to see someone make this in DF, and visit the actual place when it's finished. It looks too cool to pass up.

Only thing missing now is access to cotton candy and a means to turn it into a caldera.

This also looks like something Vault-Tec would design. Actually a more practical Vault design for housing tons of people. Just as long as it's a Control Vault and not an experimental one, it shouldn't become a colossal horror story.

Speaking of which, I think I now have a design to implement to Vaul-221 I'm working on. :D

EDIT:
Did something similar to this as part of my Minecraft quarry. Looks damn cool from the top floor.

Spoiler: Early shot of quarry. (click to show/hide)

It looks as awesome as it is practical.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:11:02 pm by Itnetlolor »

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 04:44:45 pm »

Did anyone else take one look at this and think "The Hive" as presented in the first Resident Evil movie? (Which, sometime in the next few releases, may be something we can replicate if we can coax a dwarven necromancer to go berserk in our fort... Hmm...)

At any rate, I vote for draining a volcano and building this inside of it before letting it refill, if someone wants to make it in Dwarf Fortress. With a little sand and the volcano's magma, the glass would be easy to come by.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 04:49:10 pm »

Did anyone else take one look at this and think "The Hive" as presented in the first Resident Evil movie? (Which, sometime in the next few releases, may be something we can replicate if we can coax a dwarven necromancer to go berserk in our fort... Hmm...)

At any rate, I vote for draining a volcano and building this inside of it before letting it refill, if someone wants to make it in Dwarf Fortress. With a little sand and the volcano's magma, the glass would be easy to come by.
Actually, there is a utility (Runesmith?) that lets you turn dwarves into zombies. Thing is, in my experience it causes instability.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 04:55:46 pm »

i used to do this in the old bottomless pits, with a panopticon tower in the middle for marksdwarves and troop deplyment

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 05:54:26 pm »

I've attempted forts like this, with varying degrees of success. I've also seen someone post a fort with a similiar design here in the forums.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 06:00:36 pm »

Actually, there is a utility (Runesmith?) that lets you turn dwarves into zombies. Thing is, in my experience it causes instability.
That'd be bloody awesome. Have a 200 dwarf fort, and turn all but around 5 into zombies. Have doors and such everywhere, and take the role of the Red Queen.

Have magma ready as well. Protocol must be followed  :P

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 07:55:18 pm »

Captured/native dwarf necromancers will be awesome!

You should also ensure that one of your remaining 5 female warrior dwarves is dressed in a red dress and nothing else.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 10:32:32 pm »

Wow.
dwarves aside for a moment, if that thing gets built, it will be a slum the likes of which the world has never seen before.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 04:54:08 am »

Too bad DF doesnt have enough content to make a structure of that size to come alive. most parts of the place will be dead quiet

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 06:08:29 am »

My current fort is a fixed width and height column dug-dowm / built up on a 1x1 embark, nothing can be constructed outside the boundary walls, its going to be a pillar reaching from the depths to the top of the sky. All i have to do is cut around the outer walls :)

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 07:08:38 am »

My current fort is a fixed width and height column dug-dowm / built up on a 1x1 embark, nothing can be constructed outside the boundary walls, its going to be a pillar reaching from the depths to the top of the sky. All i have to do is cut around the outer walls :)

Use the top layer as a reservoir and have some sort of liquid pouring down on all sides. you can build bridges to create an entryway connected to a lever, which disappears behind the falls when it's closed.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 07:17:53 am »

Wow.
dwarves aside for a moment, if that thing gets built, it will be a slum the likes of which the world has never seen before.

I was thinking the same thing. But somehow that'd still be cool.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 07:18:55 am »

Skycraper? I wish I could crap the sky!

Sorry :(
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: [1] 2