Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 413308 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

I was doing some work on the quarry level and noticed this

I think that's... a quarter?  a third of it all?  Close to half?  And you all said it was overkill...
HEY LOOK! THERE'S A FACE IN THAT PICTURE! :P

I WARNED YOU ABOUT THE HFS BRO
I TOLD YOU DOG
...What?

Agreed.  I mean, Hell is mine now.  The only thing down there to fear is me now, I guess.

...wait, have I made myself the dwarf equivalent of the devil by claiming Hell as my own? 

The lakebottom is engraved and I'm building a channel to fill the lake.  If I've done it right, floodgates should kick in automatically to prevent flooding.  If I'm wrong, I really hope the dwarves are quick on pulling the lever.  Oh, and there's now one pit left to floor over.  I'll do a proper update with pics soon, maybe later tonight.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This will be, most likely, the first of three final updates,  as I'm fairly certain that I've done everything to Hell that can be done.  If it were a person, it'd be curled up in the fetal position.  Dwarves would be standing over it.  And, of course, the dwarves would be laughing.

First off, here's the lakebed ready to be filled

Next up,
Spoiler:  The Dwarven Aquaduct (click to show/hide)

and finally;

As for the SWORDTHUNDERS sign, the dwarves are currently logging with an elf-hating vengeance outside to get enough wood for the border.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

May the dorf be with you, oh conqueror of the infinite armies and master of the un-tameable. :P

This is indeed a grand achievement. Have you uploaded to the DFMA yet?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile

I thought you named it Lake Eyre?

If not, there is also my suggestion on page 62.
Soaplent green is goblins!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought you named it Lake Eyre?

If not, there is also my suggestion on page 62.

Oh, I think I did too.

May the dorf be with you, oh conqueror of the infinite armies and master of the un-tameable. :P

This is indeed a grand achievement. Have you uploaded to the DFMA yet?

I actually don't know how.  I'll work it out once I've gotten everything done so the map that goes up on the DFMA will be the finished version

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The lake of golden soaps?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm filling Lake Eyre now.  I had to sacrifice a kitten to do it.  Well, I say 'sacrifice' but what I mean is it got into the channel after following a dwarf in as he linked up the floodgates and I couldn't be bothered getting the little bugger out before PULLING THE LEVER.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

Why did you consider getting the kitten out, rather than putting ALL of the cats/kittens in the channel with it?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why did you consider getting the kitten out, rather than putting ALL of the cats/kittens in the channel with it?

....Damn, didn't think of that.

Okay so far the lake has been filled, buuuut Grath is in hospital.  He and Karakzon, hereafter known as "the dumbasses", opened the doors into the aquaduct and got a facefull of water that knocked them off the walkway.  Karakzon's fine with minor injuries, but Grath has a broken ear and leg.  He was also starving and thirsty by the time he was hauled off to hospital, so it's even-odds of him surviving.

edit: I was wrong - Karakzon's hospitalized too with a broken arm and leg.  She's also starving and thirsty.  I'll keep an eye on the pair of them with fingers crossed that someone will take the time to deliver water and food to them.  Really should move the hospital down into Hell too >.>....
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:11:50 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Kittens that swim? Plus, how do you break an ear?:P

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Do we still have a steady head-count of 19?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do we still have a steady head-count of 19?

We do, but I'm worried about Grath and Karakzon being in hospital while starving and thirsty.  Just hoping someone will keep them fed and drunk while they recover

edit:  I just cleared Doby the Fry Cook's labor menu down to cooking, taking care of the wounded and hauling food.  He didn't have a current job, so that might get him up and tending to the dumbasses
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:22:11 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the dwarves are uncaring bastards.  RIP Grath and Karakzon.  Both died unconcious in hospital of either starvation or dehydration.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I feel your grief. Or am I feeling your agitation at losing yet more of your labor force? It's hard to tell...

I too am about to lose a dwarf to crappy medical care; One of my rangers that caught an FB syndrome was never treated besides being cleaned. Everything is rotten, and apparently he's slowly losing blood. He's gone from perfectly fine, to faint, and now flashing pale. The end is nigh, dear Rovod.
The good news? He doesn't have any friends whatsoever, in a fortress where 2/3s of the populace is idling at any given time. I've crammed him between a rock and a hard place (some walls and a door) because he was stuck in that corner anyway, and the miasma was killing the other dorfs using the beds. Can't dig it out to drop him a z-level, or drop anything near him, because of an inconveniently placed aquifer.

Oh damn. The instant I unpaused the game, like literally the next frame, he died "of infection". Huh.
He had dog mammaries in his backpack. :o
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:47:10 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All my dwarves seem to have become loners.  They don't really care about anyone else except themselves.  They're very happy though. 

Progress on the last pit is going okay, though I keep getting them to do other small tasks like mass-smoothing/engraving of areas.  I'm also making something that should give you all a small chuckle too.  Oh, and I've planned a grand ending to the fortress that DOESN'T involve magma (though I will show the magma-filling ending too), but should be deemed satisfying.  I will, of course, put up a savegame before I execute it.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 81