Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tantrum Slowdowns  (Read 565 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tantrum Slowdowns
« on: November 01, 2007, 08:30:00 pm »

I have around 55 dwarves and due to my inability to manage food, they're starving.  So they throw tantrums.  Which cause the game to freeze for about 10 to 15 seconds.  It's really annoying.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Tantrum Slowdowns
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 01:36:00 am »

Any save experience a lag like this is welcome.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 11:48:00 am »

Trying to email the save, hotmail is timing out.  If this takes too much longer I'll appropriate some webspace.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 10:09:00 pm »

I'm having this problem too. My computer will stay at 100% CPU usage (well, 50%, actually, the core that DF is on is at 100%) for long periods of time - sometimes up to nearly 5 minutes. The music will continue playing, but the game is frozen. If I wait long enough, it will go back to normal... for a little while.

This is caused, almost certainly, by tantruming dwarves.

I noticed it when I had just 1 dwarf (a legendary boneworker) who had some of his bolts leave the map. When he went into tantrums, the game would randomly lock up for a few seconds, then go back.

Well, I just fought off a huge goblin invasion, losing 40 dwarves in the process. During most of the attack (and now that it's been broken) the game is freezing almost constantly as my dwarves all start throwing hissy-fits over lost loved ones and broken bones.

I'll zip up the file and send it to you. You shouldn't have to wait terribly long (no more than a minute or so, I'd guess) for the game to hang.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 04:05:00 am »

I just got this same problem, I thought it was just some messed up issue with dealing with a goblin siege, but several dwarves tantrummed and they're probably getting even more pissed as the wounded die off (absolutely no water on this map, the lakes don't refill, have temp and weather on, and wounded can't be given ale or anything). I assumed at first the lag was people trying to path to give them water and failing, but now most of them are dead and it's worse than ever.

I saved it off before I abandoned, I'll see if I can email it. I too use hotmail but hopefully I'll have better luck.

edit: Btw, is it intended for goblins to just wait where they spawn instead of trying to invade? I've only played up to the first invasion, but on two separate forts, both times th goblins just sat back near the edge of the map and waited for me to come to them.

[ November 04, 2007: Message edited by: Stromko ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 06:31:00 pm »

I have some saves for this now.  Hopefully I can figure it out once I get back to work.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 11:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Stromko:
<STRONG>I saved it off before I abandoned, I'll see if I can email it. I too use hotmail but hopefully I'll have better luck.</STRONG>

I actually got it sent just after I posted on my third attempt :P

quote:
Originally posted by Stromko:
<STRONG>edit: Btw, is it intended for goblins to just wait where they spawn instead of trying to invade? I've only played up to the first invasion, but on two separate forts, both times th goblins just sat back near the edge of the map and waited for me to come to them.

[ November 04, 2007: Message edited by: Stromko ]</STRONG>

I think that's a known bug.  Just disable invasions for now.

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 12:04:00 pm »

I too had this problem, and I abandoned that fortress, so I can't send a save to help.  But, it was after a siege, lots of dead dwarves, lots of tantrums, etc.

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

More info on this one (and I probably can provide a save, if necessary)

I had a few dwarves (like 3 or 4) die in a fire imp attack (yeah, yeah, early in the game, shush).  No dwarves tantrumed as a result of this, but I'm getting the slowdowns.

Starfisher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 08:49:00 am »

I just had a goblin siege. I have one insane marksdwarf and a bunch of unhappy dwarves, but the only one tantruming or canceling tasks is the insane marksdwarf. Still get 10-15 second freezes, only loosely correlated to that dwarf's insane job cancellations.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 08:22:00 pm »

Tantrum lag has been resolved for the next version.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 06:46:00 pm »

In the meantime, I've discovered something interesting - If all my dwarves are in the military, there is no unhappiness or tantrum lag regardless of how many of them are unhappy or tantruming. I haven't reloaded to test conscripting just the unhappy dwarves yet, so I don't know if it's because the tantrumers are in the military or because everyone else is. (I'm trying to lose. It's hard.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive