Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Volcano with peat walls  (Read 1135 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Volcano with peat walls
« on: November 01, 2007, 07:15:00 pm »

This should be on fire if I am not mistaken:

[ November 01, 2007: Message edited by: Grek ]

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volcano with peat walls
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:15:00 pm »

I have a similar layout in my world.  There is an aquifer that runs right next to the volcano.  In fact if I do d-d and look at the right level around the volcano the one wall flashes wet.  I want some good hot springs and geysers in future versions.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 09:46:00 pm »

also magma can melt stone flood gates and burn grass but won't burn trees unless the grass sets the tree on fire

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 11:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by kuro_suna:
<STRONG>also magma can melt stone flood gates and burn grass but won't burn trees unless the grass sets the tree on fire</STRONG>

It'll melt the stone floodgate if you open it and the magma goes through...

Actually, is that a bug? It kind of destroyed half of my last fortress...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 01:58:00 am »

Right now, magma heats adjacent squares to ~132F.  This is to keep the magma workshops in the game.  Any reactions with adjacent tiles have to be handled case by case, so there are various omissions and problems.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 02:38:00 pm »

132 Fahrenheit?  That sounds wrong.  For reference, water boils at 212F (at sea level).

0x517A5D

darkfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by 0x517A5D:
<STRONG>132 Fahrenheit?  That sounds wrong.  For reference, water boils at 212F (at sea level).

0x517A5D</STRONG>

I think the point is that we don't want dwarves who walk or work beside a magma channel to catch fire. Dwarves don't catch fire at 132F, I for one am fine with this. I like magma forges.

In real life I believe dwarves would need to withstand temperatures in the 250F range to work near hard cover magma and 400-1800 to work near liquid magma. (depending on the humidity and clothing mostly)

This still wouldn't actually get hot enough to make liquid steel only the folded and forged variety would be possible. The center of a volcano runs 2300F-2900F. While carbon steel is only fully liquid at temperatures of 2750+. With losses to the refractory and from radiating at the surface the best you could do would be forge welding.

Natural aluminum smelting might be possible, with very fresh lava. It only needs 1800F. But aluminum in that form does not exist in nature. The problem is that with aluminum oxide ore you must remove the oxygen. This requires an electrical arc hotter than the surface of the sun. (to do economically)

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>
It'll melt the stone floodgate if you open it and the magma goes through...

Actually, is that a bug? It kind of destroyed half of my last fortress...</STRONG>

You have to use the proper materials.  Steel floodgates and above will work, make them with a metalcrafter's forge, under furnature.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by darkfred:
<STRONG>

I think the point is that we don't want dwarves who walk or work beside a magma channel to catch fire. Dwarves don't catch fire at 132F, I for one am fine with this. I like magma forges.

</STRONG>

Yes but its still making no sense. Dwarves should catch fire near magma, just like any other creatures without a heat resistance.
Perhaps this should be solved later on. Like adding some special clothes with fire resistance. All dwarves who would like to work near magma should wear these, or else RIP. It could be done, however only after a better "equipping system" will be added in.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:22:00 am »

Normally I wouldn't bother posting about this sense toad already said he'll get to it... but this is a little too much: http://img337.imageshack.us/my.php?image=35397916mo2.png

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 08:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Phoenix:
<STRONG>

You have to use the proper materials.  Steel floodgates and above will work, make them with a metalcrafter's forge, under furnature.</STRONG>

You need bauxite mechanisms or the floodgate will still break. Just using a steel floodgate isn't good enough. (At least, the last time I tried)

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

It is, if you don't want to open it ever.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord:
<STRONG>You need bauxite mechanisms or the floodgate will still break. Just using a steel floodgate isn't good enough. (At least, the last time I tried)</STRONG>

Correct.  However, the floodgate itself I believe can be made of anything.  I haven't tried it due to the lack of bauxite.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 05:08:00 pm »

I had an obsidian floodgate holding back the lava for some time; worked fine until I opened it (and then I just had a bauxite mechanism sitting in the lava).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

A related question - can I use the heat of magma on one side of a wall to steam water on the other side of the same wall?
So, basically, I have:

mmmm||~~~
mmmm||~~~
mmmm||~~~

Where m is magma, ~ is water and the || is the wall. Does the temperature 'leak' into the wall enough for the water on the other side to turn to steam? It'd obviously depend on what the wall is made out of - 'weak' enough to absorb plenty of heat, but 'strong' enough not to combust itself in the process.
I've searched the Wiki and haven't been able to figure out an exact answer myself. Oh, and it's essentially for a steam trap.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.
Pages: [1] 2