Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elven Trading  (Read 812 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elven Trading
« on: January 28, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »

Elves come along and I decide to dump as much (narrow) and (large) clothing on them as I can.
I meticulously make sure I've marking only cave spider silk, giant cave spider silk, pig tail and rope reed cloth to trade.
Run out of weight, hit T and...
"That poor creature..."
WTF?
So I went back and double checked every single item marked for trade looking for anything that wouldn't be a cloth or silk.
As I've never run across cave spider or giant cave spider leather it looks like I'm in the clear.
Next time the elves come by I'll check if the silk is what's bothering them (and make a save).

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elven Trading
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 05:26:00 pm »

I've never had Elven traders yet, so this may not be correct.

Elves don't accept items made from wood because you killed a tree. Maybe they don't like it that you had to kill a plant to make the cloth?

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

Silk, alas, is not cool with elves:  you gotta boil worms to get it, after all.
g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

OldMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 08:18:00 pm »

Er, no, that's not true.  Silk, both giant cave spider and normal cave spider, is just fine with elves.  I regularly trade narrow silk items leftover from thieves, as well as masterpiece silk hoods and other articles, dwarf made, far too expensive for any of my craftsdwarves to afford.

Of coruse, the nobles swear, seeing another potential posession traded away for the luxury of food.  "New peasants will come every season if some starve," they cry, "but masterworks, now those are far from a certainty!"

Odds are you had something made of giant cave spider /chitin/ which is leather, for all intents and purposes.

Edit: Should post something helpful instead of just saying what it wasn't, eh?

[ January 28, 2007: Message edited by: OldMiner ]

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 10:43:00 pm »

Did you check to make sure none of the items were encrusted with bone or anything like that?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 11:30:00 pm »

None of the item names indicated being decorated, so I don't think it's that.
I may have been a chitin item, the names were cut off, so I'm not sure.

It'd be real handy if there was a message indicating what item was the problem or even displaying "animal products by death" in red (like "forbidden to trade" are in purple) when the elves are trading.

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 12:08:00 am »

Informing you of potential faux pas sounds like the job of the diplomat to me.

X

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 09:25:00 am »

True enough.  Now, does that actually happen and I haven't seen it yet?

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 09:49:00 am »

I had problems trading with elves my first time, and I thought I fixed it by not having wooden bins in the Trade Depot at all.  I believe that the elves saw the wooden bins and threw a hissy fit, even though I wasn't specifically offering the bins, nor the items from within the bins, for trading.
Once I went to the move to/from depot menu and deselected the bins for [TRADING], the trades went through.
It could have been something else I did, but I believe that addressed it for me. Bug or intended feature, I dunno.
qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness

OldMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by qwip:
<STRONG>I had problems trading with elves my first time, and I thought I fixed it by not having wooden bins in the Trade Depot at all.</STRONG>

Nope, not the bins either.  See Elves on the Wiki.  Could have been encrusted with clear glass or something else seemingly innocuous.  Turtle shell leggings maybe?

I do wonder how elves get protein in their diet if any dead animal is such a problem.  Insects perhaps?

Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by OldMiner:
<STRONG>I do wonder how elves get protein in their diet if any dead animal is such a problem.  Insects perhaps?</STRONG>

My theory is that they are some kind of wood/plant spirits.  So, photosynthesis.

That probably means that most trees are their extended family.  Which I think also means that this game seriously needs trees that turn into ents and kick your ass if you cut too many of them down.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 05:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Guy:
<STRONG>

My theory is that they are some kind of wood/plant spirits.  So, photosynthesis.

That probably means that most trees are their extended family.  Which I think also means that this game seriously needs trees that turn into ents and kick your ass if you cut too many of them down.</STRONG>

They used to, I think.   Or maybe it was planned.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 12:47:00 am »

The elven druids used to make the trees on your map come alive.  Along with the corpses coming alive during the undead invasion, it was one of the few hard-coded "magic" effects.  I removed those since it needs to be replaced by an actual system rather than haphazard effects.

There are a few elf-based stories up at TT's Stories.  The basic idea was that they could utilize the plants that they've nurtured to satisfy their various material/food needs, without actually killing the plants, almost to the point of it being "magical".  Magic isn't in yet, so right now they are basically gatherers that build wooden weapons out of fallen logs.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »

Thanks for the correction on the silk thing, Miner.  I screwed things up with the elves once, and I assumed it was the silk that did it, so I never traded silk with them again.

quote:
Originally posted by OldMiner:
<STRONG>I do wonder how elves get protein in their diet if any dead animal is such a problem.  Insects perhaps?</STRONG>

We vegetarians do fine for protein, thank you very much!  Even vegans do okay, though I could never bring myself to give up purring maggot milk.

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 02:19:00 am »

"I'm a level five vegan.  I don't eat anything that casts a shadow."

(Actually, I'm a pure omnivore.  But you can't go wrong with Simpsons quotes. ;-))

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin