Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: how does adventure mode compare to other roguelikes?  (Read 7684 times)

Flacracker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
how does adventure mode compare to other roguelikes?
« on: October 01, 2011, 04:26:28 pm »

I know that the adventure mode is supposed to be like a roguelike but I wanted to know how it actually stands up.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how does adventure mode compare to other roguelikes?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 05:06:07 pm »

NetHack: Fixed dungeon, cannot leave the dungeon, quest to find an amulet, no solid pack, can only carry 52 stacks of items, lacks HUD with Adv. mode, need to eat (but not drink, strangely), one skill for each weapon.

DF Adventure mode: Free-roaming world, can go where you please, quests must be asked for, requires quiver for arrows/water skin for drink/backpack for anything else, shows shield/weapon in hands/armor on body, shows current speed, no need to eat or drink ATM, weapons are categorized (axe, sword, hammer, etc.).

Opinion: DF Adventure Mode is WAY better.

Zimon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 05:16:45 pm »

Pretty bad, there's not much to do and grinding feels tedious. It's Dwarf Fortress but with the gimmick ability to play as a single dwarf. Adventurer mode is probably too early to be worth your time.

Anon the Felon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 05:43:41 pm »

Conversely, adventure mode is a lot of Fun.  Especially if you run some of the great mods and tile packs out there.  Genesis Mod really brings some great fun to Adventure mode.

Plus, if you do Fortress, you can go back to that world and explore it/clean it out with your adventurer.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 06:03:55 pm »

The combat system is incredible. You can aim where you want to hit and every hit has consequences.
If you stab someone in the upper body with a spear you might puncture a lung and the creature will have a hard time breathing.
If you kick someone in the leg and break it, he will fall on the ground unable to stand up.

Every body parts are tracked for their status even the fingers, individual ribs and eyelids.

You can choose what how you will attack. Scratch or punch with hands, kick with legs, strike with shields, bite, various attack methods with different weapons.
You could also wrestle. Grab the weapon of your enemy, wrestle it out of his hand and throw it at one of his friend, lock his shoulder joint and break it and then strangle him to death.

These are the features that I thought on top of my head. It's really the combat system that does it for me.

Flacracker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 07:04:11 pm »

Yeah the thing that I really love about DF adventure more is the overly descriptive combat reports. But it seems like when I play it there is no direction and I don't really know what I am doing or where I am doing. I just run around and kill rabbits and stuff. Is there something I should be doing?

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 07:47:09 pm »

Talk to people in villages, ask if you can be of service and they will usually tell you that there's a bandit or something around that needs to be killed.
They won't give you a reward if you do it, but you'll have something to do.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 08:40:45 pm »

Conversely, adventure mode is a lot of Fun.  Especially if you run some of the great mods and tile packs out there.  Genesis Mod really brings some great fun to Adventure mode.

Plus, if you do Fortress, you can go back to that world and explore it/clean it out with your adventurer.
Civilization adds extra danger out there. A lone Giant Ant is deadly if you don't have either sufficient armor or high enough weapon skills, and wild Giant Beetles are a major pain to a fresh fort.

Civilization Forge or any other major mod that doesn't already have it can be combined with Wanderer's Friend to actually make it possible to live off the land; bones from butchering can be made into weapons/armor/ammo, the skins can be tanned and sewn into armor or clothing, and limited forging can be done.

Talk to people in villages, ask if you can be of service and they will usually tell you that there's a bandit or something around that needs to be killed.
They won't give you a reward if you do it, but you'll have something to do.
Yeah they will. It's called fame. It lets you recruit (more) soldiers and peasants.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 09:32:48 pm »

One thing, the conversations with the people change in time. That differs from many roguelikes out there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Adventure mode is still in the works and many updates will come. But many roguelikes were made earlier than DF so I guess they were the source of inspiration for it.

Anon the Felon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 09:43:44 pm »

I'm excited for mounts myself.  I have an idea for a goblin on a bear, with a crossbow...GoblinBearTank!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 10:02:30 pm »

I'm excited for mounts myself.  I have an idea for a goblin on a bear, with a crossbow...GoblinBearTank!
Or my human bowman on a horse. Cavalry archers!!!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 10:07:07 pm »

Or my human bowman on a horse. Cavalry archers!!!

Didn't we have those?

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 02:34:21 am »

when it gets re?implemented, Will have to tweak My Little Fortress's raws to give me colorful pony mounts. Becaus,e nothing says ‼fun‼ like horses in fancy dresses that know karate, right?
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 06:54:10 am »

its pretty fun, you can also set goals for yourself but its not really something in the game, like: kill all the elfs, collect 500+ heads (what i'm doing >:D), kill all the mega/simimega beasts, whatever.
and yea the combat is amazing and will get even better later, like choosing where you throw people wile wrestling, necromancy, and i hope aiming with ranged weapons cus they currently lack that.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 07:28:26 am »

Note that in adventurer mode in DF (current version) wrestling is nerfed. In the past you could hit a wolf with the flat of your palm and sent it flying if you were strong enough.

BUT, if you could get a nice grip and the right timing, in the current version you CAN throw an enemy like it was a tiny rock. Just like old times, you don't get to see flying enemies (about ~4 screens) from where you threw them in other roguelikes do you?
Pages: [1] 2