Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: [Article]Industry heads claim up to 90% of games are pirated versions  (Read 4696 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Article]Industry heads claim up to 90% of games are pirated versions
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2011, 11:35:55 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

I feel this is going to help the tread.

Before I expose my computer to evil Youtube videos

What am I looking at? why do people post links and not say what it is? WHY!?!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2011, 11:43:26 pm »

no one likes the idea of piracy (except a few people)
8.9% of Berliners made it pretty clear that they do
I'm pretty sure there'd be more Berliners who'd have agreed if they actually cared about politics.
Or is that just an American apathy?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2011, 11:49:14 pm »

no one likes the idea of piracy (except a few people)
8.9% of Berliners made it pretty clear that they do
I'm pretty sure there'd be more Berliners who'd have agreed if they actually cared about politics.
Or is that just an American apathy?
It's not exclusive to America, I'll tell you that. Not sure about Germany though.
The point is that almost 10% (that's 1 in 10) decided they cared more about freedom of information (they're for it) then they did about some other, more traditional, issue, about which they've been brainwashed all this time.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2011, 04:11:48 am »

The point is that almost 10% (that's 1 in 10) decided they cared more about freedom of information

After all, nature abhors a vacuum.  8)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2011, 02:07:54 pm »

Didn't Blizzard do their own study and found that there were 2.3 million "possibly illegal" copies of starcraft 2 around against their 3 million sold? To put that in perspective against Crytek and 2D boy who each believe that there are 50 million people interested into their game in the first place.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2011, 02:15:29 pm »

Didn't Blizzard do their own study and found that there were 2.3 million "possibly illegal" copies of starcraft 2 around against their 3 million sold? To put that in perspective against Crytek and 2D boy who each believe that there are 50 million people interested into their game in the first place.

Tss you're not following, if only 2 millions people buy one of their games that means there are 6 billion 998 million people that DIDN'T BUY IT!
So there are 6 billions 998 pirates!

Flawed piracy logic is flawed :p.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2011, 02:22:44 pm »

One issue with Piracy is that it hurts bad games

Good games arn't affected too much by piracy.

Bad games with too much DRM, terrible gameplay, or WAY overpriced are the ones where people who find out how bad they are, through piracy, won't but them anyhow.

Then again I have a hard time caring... if a bad game loses sales because it is bad... I really don't care what medium it was through.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2011, 02:44:50 pm »

An extremely informal survey of me clicking the 'show all' tab on Bitgamer followed by sorting by number of downloads reveals the most pirated game of all time on there is just over 13000 copies. Bitgamer is one of the best game-exclusive torrent sites in exists.

Yah these '50 million copies pirated' claims are so full of shit that they should probably be called out as fraud.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2011, 02:53:14 pm »

I still remember how I was taunted by everyone because my PSP wasn't Cracked (allowing me to pirate games on my PSP) even so far as to have people just go right up to me and offer to crack it for me.

It still isn't cracked but I guess 90% isn't that out there.

What I REALLY hate about DRM is that most of it isn't Anti-piracy it is Anti-resale. Yes they will justify it as "Anti-piracy" because no one likes the idea of piracy (except a few people) but the fact of the matter is that it actually hurts resale more.

Just remember that. If any company says they are using DRM for piracy... they are LIARS!

I remember when the DS flash carts really took off in the UK. Everyone and their mum seemed to own one.

The more I've read on the subject the more I believe the whole DRM thing is more to do with resale. The difference between second hand games and pirated ones is slim in my mind. The creators and publishers earn nothing and so they're likely seen as lost sales.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2011, 02:55:48 pm »

Piracy is a controversial argument.
pro/cons or the like usually tend to make an enormous list of why it should/should not be done.

pirates first and foremost reason is not being willing to spend money to play games. why spend 80 euros/dollars/counterparts in pounds or pesos or whatever, when you just need a 20 euro/month internet connection with high speed to download anything?
consider this, you can either, in the course of a year, made of 12 month, buy games for market values (considering buying them when they do come out, and not after six/seven months) around the 60 to 80 euros (i'm considering italian videogames prices nowadays) especially if the game has been really hyped, it gets an awful lot more costly.
now immagine a "good year" (like this one) how many "good" (hyped) games came out? twelve? fourteen? let's go with the average.
13*70=130*7=910 euros+obviously the monthly internet fee of 20 euros, so it's 20*12 240+910=1150 euros of yearly cost in games.
as a "pirate" you would only have payed the internet connection, or in case of a free wifi zone, not even that.

second reason, which is usually used as an excuse instead of the first one:  "how can i know the game is good if i don't try it? and if it doesn't run? or if it runs badly? or if it's bugged?" you see, if this were truly the principal reason, it would or at least it should shine a light, if companies release games to earn money, they should at the very least make a good and attractive product. if a heart surgeon doesn't do a top-notch heart transplant, the patient dies. and he gets sued to death.
if the game company doesn't make a good game, 1) it patches it. 2) it re-patches it, 3) it adds new update to balance it 4) it adds dlc, on payment. really? not only you sold me this thing at a high price, you also want me to pay you more money to have additional content? which you could have implemented in the game but didn't? REALLY? how can you release dlcs on the same day of the game, and not include them in it? while i wouldn't give a rat about a new hat, or a different skin, if you release additional HISTORY content then i do get pissed. You make a game not to sell, but to make a story.
Would anyone here be happy to read a book and discover that unless he/she pays 30 euros, he won't read chapter 7? or that (since dlc usually aren't main quest necessary) a long range of paragraph are missing?

while demos are released, the question always always remain until the game is out: "is this the real deal? is the demo really the game or just the best parts of it? and what about the "new engine amelioration" of last minute? what if now the game is unplayable, but then when it's released i could actually play it?"

Third reason: anti piracy measures make people pirates. "i would have bought it, but always on internet connection? i live in a mountain/forest/place where internet comes and goes, i can't even get to the checkpoint that i'm kicked out of the game i bought because EA SERVERS went for a coffee break. seriously?" once upon a time, you only needed the DISK in the disk-reader, it was the only thing needed, (and for some games it wasn't even necessary).
Now you must pray the internet connection works and their servers don't go down.maybe you're about to discover the assassin, and bam, out of the game, because yeah, server update folks.

fourth reason: because it's easier than going to the store. I mean, gasoline, fatigue of walking, having to wear something different and being at the very least not "stenchy" ? in the end this could still go under the first reason, the money issue. but some people have the money and still download it, why?

fifth reason: the thrill of doing something against the law/state/anything. The feeling "robin hood"

and i want to leave you with something to think:
do you know who ACTUALLY buys the games? the hackers themselves.

astonishing rigth? but if they didn't buy them, how could they crack them open? you see, that's the point, the best companies buyers, are the crackers/hackers of their safety measures.
than obviously there are those whose family members where involved in making the game, maybe their friends, but in any case, the point remains:
is it right or wrong?
it's actually an infringement of copyright, or a theft?
when a buyer buys a game, he plays it, for singleplayers and multiplayers.
when a pirate downloads a game, he plays only the singleplayer, and has to wait for the crackers groups to actually crack it, and then to upload the patches (them also cracked). he loses the multiplayer part of the experience, however, in some games, (noobtubers of modern warfare anyone?!) it might even be a nerve safer.

to "break a lance" in their favour, how many could be able to play "king of dragon pass" if somebody hadn't uploaded it to the net?
how many could play star wars old rpg game without an uploader? modern game stores don't bother to keep outdated stuff. How can you find a copy of the first of monkey island, if you don't have someone who uploaded it first?
you can say "Gog.com" or "steam!" but the What if it doesn't work? it's just 5 bucks, but still it's my five bucks. what if my pc is too modern, and it doesnt play?

i'm going to come out on a fact:
i downloaded Vampire the Masquerade bloodlines, from the pirates den.
(any who look at my blog will know the why, how, or anything else)
it wasn't for money, heck, firstly i had the game loaned by a friend, but the patch, the official one didn't help.
so i looked. on the den i found the solution "ultimate bloodline" with compatibility patch and unofficial patches (of Federation) that i downloaded and that i played.
i'm not going to pass for a saint who says "i only downloaded that" or "i didn't even know it existed before".
point is, you can buy a game if it's good, or you expect a lot from it and are not deluded.
i have lots of games, civilization, bioshock, rise of nation, excetera, i have a bookshelf of games for pc which i still keep and occasionally play, but still, the point remains.

piracy is there because, no matter what, it's useful.
it can be harmful, it can be compared to stealing, it can be anything someone who hates piracy wants it to be, but it's there and it will prosper. because unless games are made to be good, really good, and not to stress gamers who actually buy them, or otherwise, they won't go far.

the solution is easy.
you make a nice game, which requires internet ONLY to apply patches automatically, who adds regularly new content every time, and which once bought is free to play for how much you wish. without senseless dlc.
guild wars anyone? if you can point out a pirated version of guildwars you'll earn a penny.
world of warcraft has free shards around, but not guildwars. Why is it?
hackers/crackers won't touch a drm.free game with no security. because it's NOT a "challenge to their skills", people will buy it and play it, and keep it because new contents will be freely added as long as the game keeps being bought, by maybe people who heard of how good it is.
it's utopistic. but you certainly won't find dwarf fortress on the pirate "den" (it's free obviously, most probably its the reason XD )
this were my two cents, i'm not pro or against. maybe its a "necessary evil" maybe its a really bad thing or maybe it' a good thing, i am noone to decide it, but sometimes, when you are playing a drm-to the brim game which you bought, and realise it's a badly ported version of a console game, and fill a little bit...you know, edgy, you mutter curses and swear revenge.

“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Rakuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2011, 02:59:56 pm »

The statistics are pretty messed up. If each person decided to torrent a game before buying it (not likely, but give me some leeway here), there would be a 50% piracy rate, event though, theoretically, not a single sale was lost or stolen.

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2011, 03:13:51 pm »

I have to disagree with that.
You usually have one/several suppliers that are usually people working in a gaming store or somewhere with physical distribution. They get a box before release date(usually stores get their games before the release date and keep them in storage, at least they used to). They make an image of the disc and upload them to a private server. Then the crackers from that group will try to remove the protection.
You have to keep in mind that cracking a game is very tricky buisness, some protections have been there for ages and have been adding tricks upon tricks. Crackers that crack games usually have been doing it for a very long time, if they bought everything they cracked they would be ruined :p.

Now, like any person pirating, a cracker will buy a game to encourage that kind of game to be developed/to support the developers/to see an addon/to see more of it basically :).

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2011, 03:18:00 pm »

I have to disagree with that.
You usually have one/several suppliers that are usually people working in a gaming store or somewhere with physical distribution. They get a box before release date(usually stores get their games before the release date and keep them in storage, at least they used to). They make an image of the disc and upload them to a private server. Then the crackers from that group will try to remove the protection.
You have to keep in mind that cracking a game is very tricky buisness, some protections have been there for ages and have been adding tricks upon tricks. Crackers that crack games usually have been doing it for a very long time, if they bought everything they cracked they would be ruined :p.

Now, like any person pirating, a cracker will buy a game to encourage that kind of game to be developed/to support the developers/to see an addon/to see more of it basically :).

hmm this would explain why until the game is actually out and playable cracks don't appear, it was said to be because the servers need to send the codes to activate the game.
so even if you are a store who sell disks, if the disks are then used with a server, until the server is up you can't have the codes. which are then used for the crack.
illuminating.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2011, 03:30:55 pm »

hmm this would explain why until the game is actually out and playable cracks don't appear, it was said to be because the servers need to send the codes to activate the game.
so even if you are a store who sell disks, if the disks are then used with a server, until the server is up you can't have the codes. which are then used for the crack.
illuminating.

Yeah they added the need to connect to something and decrypt data files to ensure there would be no more cracked version before the game is officialy released.
I think the developers of the witcher 2 put a drm on the cd version for that very reason(and made a patch to remove the protection once it had been released).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5