Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How do you "set out" your forts?  (Read 3491 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you "set out" your forts?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 07:16:38 pm »

Layers all the way
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good sir, your layout inspired me! I've drawn up basic plans, blueprints if you will, for my next fort. I can photograph them and post them here if anyone would like to see them :)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 05:49:15 pm »

First layer:  Trade depot, farms, and outside I have what I think of as the 'stinky industries' tanning, butchering, and the fishery along with the refuse pile.

Second layer:  Stockpile for finished goods to be traded

Third Layer:  Workshops and materials stockpiles

Fourth layer:  living quarters

Fifth layer: barracks

Sixth layer: Nobles and the catacombs

Seventh layer on down--mining, and when I draw mine pictures, they go here

Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 06:17:41 pm »

Currently, I typically use the following:

Top:  Farming layer, trade layer, large general storage (non-stone, non-ammo, nonwood, etc).

Z=Top-1:  Crafting layer.  A + shape layer with individual 5x5 crafting rooms jutting off from it.  Occasionally has farming as well, depending on terrain (current one has a small strawberry farm on this level, using the trick to let you grow them underground).

Z=Top-2:  Smelting/furnace layer.  A + shape layer with several huge bar storage rooms for storing metal and charcoal bars, and many smelters/furnaces of various kinds.

Z=Top-3:  Initial/noble's housing.  A + shape, with a kitchen on the west wing (primary food storage to the west of that), and three arms jutting from that with either 3x3 or 3x5 rooms depending on the value the person has to me.  I usually put a legendary dining hall between the staircase and the kitchen/food storage.  Rooms have a minimum of 2xstorage (G), bed (B), table (T), chair (C), and 4xstatues (S).

O---O
|SBS|
|GCG|
|STS|
O-D-O

Z=Top-4:  Barracks, commons housing.  A + shape, with a barracks on the east wing, and three arms jutting from that with either 3x3 or 3x5 rooms depending on the value the person has to me.  Rooms have 2xstorage (G), bed (B), table (T), chair (C), and 4xstatues (S).

O---O
|SBS|
|GCG|
|STS|
O-D-O

Z=Top-5:  Immigrant housing.  A windmill shape, with lots of 1x3 rooms jutting from its arms.  Rooms have storage, bed, and table.

Z=Top-6:  Mausoleum.  A few 3x3 or 5x5 rooms for nobles, but mostly a large commons room.

Z=Top-7:  More Barracks, another food storage for the (two or three) barracks on this level.

Z=Top-8:  Hospital.  Placed low so that anyone suffering from an attack by a cavern beast can be put in here quickly.  My dwarves have a remarkably low rate of injury on the surface.

At least that's how it is ideally.  Not how it always goes, sometimes I need something else NAO so I build that instead and push another layer down further, or push things on the same level.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 07:00:11 pm »

Door, hallway iwht traps. In current fort, there's 4 levels of traps, each with 2-3 distinct "Trap Rooms" then a 2 Z level cavern with a front gate. Behind that, barracks.
Then in order.

Storage of basically everything.
Workshops.
Living quarters around a central kitchen area with farm.

Animals are stored in a covered pit up top.

Below living quarters are the mines, whcih are combined with the prisons and noble quarters so if something comes boiling up it eats the criminals and nobles first.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 07:16:17 pm »

With the trade depot in the nexus of the fort, to which everything else may be accessed. I generally keep it on one Z-level, but as time has gone by my fortress design has changed. Mostly aesthetics. My storage rooms are generally near my workshops, though.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv350/Doughnut189/smilewithyou.png -Early fortress

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv350/Doughnut189/Voulez-vous.png - More recent fortress

Farms are usually pretty close to the surface.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 07:19:33 pm by Doughnut189 »
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Iren

• Bay Watcher
  • I BREW THE BEER I DRINK
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 01:05:48 am »

Mine are pretty medieval, everything is digged at demand (as new rooms, workshop places, etc) in a messy way on the first/second level. Then I channel to magma setting a small living place at every cavern level, ending in a magma powered metal industry zone with plenty of food depots, bedrooms, dining room and probably a well.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 04:57:46 am »

Normally, i prefer my fortresses to be sprawling underground cities, rarely needing to go deeper than five z-levels. But for my current project, I've had to step out of my comfort zone and go for a more layered approach:

Surface:fort entrance, trade depot, and, in time, a keep.

F1:Stockpiles.

F2:Farms, various workshops/industries.

F3:Housing/offices.

F4:Massive dining room(incomplete).

F5:This is where i'm planning to put my dead, and possibly my Hall of Fallen Champions.

The fort is still pretty new, so there's still lots of stuff to be done. But that's all i got for now.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 06:03:47 am »

I'm horrible when it comes to laying out places. I always end up with a convoluted squary mess of things but there are certain things that I always do:

A) All my corridors (except for mining shafts) are 3 tiles wide, after about 15 tiles I always leave out the middle corridor to place doors.
B) I use decentralized layout for just about everything so every layer has some bedrooms and a dining room with small food stockpiles in it, it always worked ok for me.
C) One and ONLY one main entrance to the underground area itself. The keep above ground can have up to 4 entrances.
D) One Z level is nothing but huge stockpiling areas for everything. If a workshop ever needs something specific (like the masons shop building stuff out of obsidian only) I just set a smaller stockpile next to it edit it properly and use "take from a pile".

That's about all the things I ALWAYS do. Other than that I usually build stuff according to the need. For example if one of the layers is made almost entirely out of precious materials and flux stone you can bet I will make bedrooms there.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2011, 06:09:57 am »

First, I dig out a quick right-underground place, including trade depot space (later to contain a trade depot), storage areas, and workshops. Then I dig gown to stone (if I haven't yet) and build a dining hall, alco-hall, food storage areas, and a dormitory. At some varying point I get around to creating individual bedrooms. Eventually (the later the more I try, it seems), I breach the caverns, then make a well drawing at first from the caverns and then from a cistern pumped full of water from the caverns and completely walled off. Then, I make a hospital. This is all assuming I don't change everything because of my embark, of course.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2011, 06:41:39 am »

I have the entrance being only 1 that can reach the fort interior. Usually a long coridoor with some traps for thinning siege numbers with columned hallways leading to the main door. Which funnels into a wider hallway leading out into the main fort. The main tunnels are 3 tiles wide with alleyways branching off them. I like to segregate areas so they specialize. So the entrance level is storehouse, military, depot and barracks and armoury. Then theres the food production level. The residential levels complete with grand dining halls and finished food and booze stockpiles. The workshop levels where everything gets made ( usually right above or below the warehouse levels for efficient transport of goods) and the crypt/mausoleum levels. I also enjoy giving nobles their own estates for an extra challenge. Rooms hanging from the top of tall caverns, Spires reaching out of the peaks of mountains or castles in the caverns are favorites of mine.
Pages: 1 2 [3]