Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How do you "set out" your forts?  (Read 3492 times)

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you "set out" your forts?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 07:54:59 am »

My last few forts I have created:

First Floor: active guard barracks, emergency defenses (like a floodgate connected to a river), etc--and depot. Farm activities (irrigates separate chambers), wood processing/storage.

Second floor--ceiling space of great dining hall--misc
third floor--divided into quadrants. One quadrant has a huge dining hall--surrounded by a large hall which has statues and coffins in it for each dwarf when he/she dies.  The dining room has one huge "table" down the middle and then dozens of individual tables elsewhere.   The best part though is that has about two dozen staircases go down to food storage/kitchens. Literally a dwarf is only a couple steps from food--eliminate a lot of time.

The other three quadrants contain all other industries (not on floor one and not food related).

third floor---kitchens! separated butcher shop..tanning and milking.

4-10 random things or nothing

11-13 living areas/offices
15-underground barracks/eating/sleeping/etc for a troop of guards to guard against the deep.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 12:44:15 pm »

I usually build everything on single floor

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 01:48:26 pm »

Planning... that's one of those things that tends to happen to other people.

Though I've taken to setting my workshops apart from the rest of the thing in the center of 5 levels. The center level is workshops, the upper level is for the finished work, and the bottom level is for raw materials. Both levels have doors on the stock piles, and have stairs rising and falling to the two stockpiles, and doors from them to hauler hallways. Of course this means if I get a mood, I have to immediately lock the stock pile doors so I don't forget if they do go nuts.

Unless it happens while I'm still on the surface, or in the 'rush build to get everything together'.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 01:57:43 pm »

initially one entrance with a shaft straight down to the top of the first cavern

Then I try my best to mine out the first two Z levels below embark, or at least the  sand/soil, to start the tree farm.

Then down until solid rock (and no water/dampness) to build the enemy entrance, with vertical shafts from the four corners of the embark surface level down to this.

Below that is the funnel/trap levels, then below that crafting, then the legendary dining hall & farm, then below that, three levels for living space.

This generally fits into 20 z-levels before the top of the first cavern (again, as others have mentioned, advanced worldgen FTW!)

Personally, I only embark with a perfectly flat surface level that also contains a volcano and over 1500 adamantine in a 3x2 embark area.  Armok must have standards, after all.

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 05:22:28 pm »

This time around:

1 (Above Ground) - Enclosed statue garden
2 - Carved out soil for grazing
3 - Carved out soil for farms/grazing
4 - Kitchens, Stills, etc
5 - Dining Hall, Hospital, Dorms, all major workshops
6 - Barracks/Entry Hall (3 separate routes into fortress and a locked passage to caverns)
7 - Military Housing

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 05:28:16 pm »

Floor z-1: temporary shelter, stockpiles, barracks, mechanic, mason, and carpenter workshop.

Then, dig straight down to magma sea.

Build forges, and build fort upward from magma sea.

Dining hall usually ends up right below third cavern level for an easy gravity fed cistern for my wells.

Everything else up and down as appropriate nearby.

Coffins always go in a mineral vein.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 05:29:22 pm »

@flare thats amazing. awesome. I'll build somehting like that Jeesh
Can you upload that fort in map archive

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10730-throwerflickered

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 05:42:50 pm »

I actually play Humans when playing Dwarf Fortress so I have a larger above ground area surrounding my fort.
Above Ground: Ranches, Farming (connected to seed storage), Barracks/Armory, 1st Line Defenses, Trade Depot, Finished Goods (Depot) Storage
1st Floor: Crafting/Workshop Floor- Each workshop consists of an individual room and small stockpiles, larger stockpile area
2nd Floor: Housing, Medical, Dining Room, Kitchen, Fishery, Butcher, Food Storage, Noble Wing, Small Furniture Storage. [This entire wing disconnected from main fort] Underground farming, Seed Storage
3rd Floor: Lower class housing, Dungeon, Untamed Animal Storage, Security and Sheriff's Office (with jail currently rehabilitating insane dwarf), Pit
5th Floor: From here down I am slowly mining out new floors and finding new materials...
Distant Floor: Has a unique staircase (not the main stairway) which I will block off upon discovering the hidden caves and eventually implement a guard post.

I'm only like one year in with this fort and currently under a demon siege (aka archery practice). However, I have like 80 people and a Count so it should get interesting...
Recently slaughtered by the undead!

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 06:21:50 pm »

I don't usually organize my fort my floors but most of the time my workshop areas consist of many small stockpiles adjacent to workshops.  I find that micro-stockpiles make the workshops more efficient, but require more hauling work.

Usually, I gap my rooms out.  So I have a Wall, Black Spot, and another Wall.

In a future fort, I might try going for an extremely compact design, just for kicks.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Blackadder

• Bay Watcher
  • Ask about our insanely low rate on !FUN! insurance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 06:27:50 pm »

I try to keep an organized layout:

Above Ground (in a tower sort of thing): Defense and archer's tower
Level 1: Stockpiles and farms
Level 2: Living area and dining
Level 3: Workshops
Level 4: Valuables, traps and war dogs.
Level 5: Magma Furnace
Level 6: Magma Sea
Level 7: Noble housing and summer retreat (with waterslide!)
Urist McWrestler: "Hmm, maybe if I bite his ear with my front top teeth, bite his foot with my front bottom teeth, and bite his right hand with my back bottom teeth, I can easily win this fight!"
It's not a real PARTY until the queen has a baby, picks it up, kills two goblins by punching THROUGH THE SKULL with her remaining hand, and then finishes off half a barrel of fungus wine while still nursing.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 08:25:30 am »

Level 1: Entrance, Depot, Farms (connected to the second level via a different staircase to keep it "inside" the fort), quick-defense barracks ("outside").
Level 2: Workshops - woodworking, stoneworking, gem cutting, clothing, leatherworking, milling, crafting, mechanics.
Level 3: Main Stockpiles
Level 4: Temporary forges and furnaces (all types), wood-burning, soapmaking.
Level 5-7: Tombs and burial halls, Upper-level mines, barracks level with justice rooms and prisoner holdings. (All on no particular level, but each on their own separate one.
Level 8: Kitchens and stills, food storage, dining hall, noble quarters, guard quarters, hospital (with attached bedrooms for doctors).
Level 9-13: Bedrooms (may not use all the levels)
Level 10-20: Medium Mines, Cavern entrance
Level Magma: Magma R&D, Magma Forges (duh).

Also, I have a tower on top of the entrance (technically "inside" the fort) for markdwarves to shoot out of.

Cypher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 03:37:31 pm »

-snip-

I want your map and embark location :(

nttea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 04:05:15 pm »

First layer: random shit everywhere
second layer:more random shit.

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 04:23:24 pm »

i have 2 central shafts and
on top farms and industry
midway dinind room and assorteds
on bottom, near the first cave layer, dorms
the caves are sealed whit bridge-hatches over downward stairs and used for 2 year onwards for secondary wood production
also my forts are all modular, i posted about it some time ago, may ressurrect the topic when necromancy is in-game

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 04:32:27 pm »

I'm trying to use the starter's fort on the wiki. I'll update this post regularly once I get started.

Lvl0 (wagon level): 3x25 entry hall, 5x5 depot room at end. 4 tiles on inner hall beyond that, 7x7 meeting hall with a well off to the side. 7 tiles of hallway on one side, with 5 farming rooms set up (2 on each side, plump helmet farm on end). 15x15 general purpose stockpile on the other side of the meeting hall to handle what comes in. 15x15 dining room will soon be dug out.

Lvl1 (still outside): Camps outside walls to mine for dolomite, magnetite and hematite will soon be made from mined stone. A three-thick wall will also be made eventually to defend the entry hall. The butchery and tanning shacks will also be placed outside, as with a refuse pile.

Lvl1 (inside): A large pocket of siltstone has been found. Workshops and bedrooms will be placed in this area. Smelters and forges will be placed elsewhere inside.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:19:17 pm by UristMcHuman »
Pages: 1 [2] 3