Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Secret immortality and immortals  (Read 5610 times)

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Secret immortality and immortals
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 02:09:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can kill an immortal by cutting off his head. I know I heard that somewhere.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 05:59:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can kill an immortal by cutting off his head. I know I heard that somewhere.
I believe that's Highlander.

...And some vampires and assorted monsters.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 06:06:13 pm »

Traditional vampires needed both decapitation and a steak through the heart, plus a clove of garlic, and it only worked if they were in their coffin at the time.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2011, 07:28:38 am »

Traditional vampires needed both decapitation and a steak through the heart, plus a clove of garlic, and it only worked if they were in their coffin at the time.

And Burying them upside down at a crossroad with a rock in their mouth.
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2011, 07:48:04 am »

ToadyOne did say that decapitation would kill immortals.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2011, 09:03:04 am »

Maybe I'm just a sucker for games with those kind of aspects.  Just the nerve-wracking aspect of something alive and sentient being somewhere out there, coming for you, though I could see it becoming quite bothersome at times.

Sounds way awesome. If they rest or take downtime after being defeated, you'll be able to run from them after a fight, get on with the rest of your story, only to have them turn up later, like any good recurring villain.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2011, 09:09:01 am »

Maybe I'm just a sucker for games with those kind of aspects.  Just the nerve-wracking aspect of something alive and sentient being somewhere out there, coming for you, though I could see it becoming quite bothersome at times.

Sounds way awesome. If they rest or take downtime after being defeated, you'll be able to run from them after a fight, get on with the rest of your story, only to have them turn up later, like any good recurring villain.

But, but, you died!

*Shrug* I got better.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2011, 10:27:11 am »

Personally I love flavors of "cannot die" immortality.  It still hurts for instance.

c.f. Ed The Undying, to those of you who know of what I speak.

Also from Highlander: the Source: "I hate this bit...  See you again soon."  Erm...

As for the ripped apart, atom by atom, but reconstituted, X3 (wasn't it?) with Wolverine advancing and regenerating.

(Deliberately not putting any more details down, for non-Spoiling reasons.)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2011, 10:31:24 am »

As for the ripped apart, atom by atom, but reconstituted, X3 (wasn't it?) with Wolverine advancing and regenerating.

His regeneration occurred at the same rate that Jean Gray was tearing him apart, so he was really only layers of skin.

The level I was referring to was never instant-regen, but a delayed effect.  The creature would exist as a pile of dust for a minute or two before starting to reconstitute itself.

Also, the basilisks wouldn't necessarily be made of the same material.  If you separated that pile of dust and kept some in a sealed container, the other would regenerate fully.  The extra mass needed would be created out of thin air (magic) as necessary.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2011, 11:07:50 am »

(I was intentionally avoiding mentioning JG, but I suppose the subset of people who haven't seen it, will want to and ever read this thread is rather small[1].)

Interesting that his regen rate matches that.  If he had that regen rate against more mundane attacks, you'd never even be able to get the shots of the usual and comparatively trivial bullet/slashing wounds healing up, as they'd be gone in the merest instant, before he even stopped moving enough for the camera to focus on them doing so. :)

[1] It sinks, he's a ghost all along, the mother is dead, he's probably also a replicant (version-dependant!) and his time on this planet is ended and he must go now <squigglydiggleydoo... whoosh>.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2011, 11:41:31 am »

Interesting that his regen rate matches that.  If he had that regen rate against more mundane attacks, you'd never even be able to get the shots of the usual and comparatively trivial bullet/slashing wounds healing up, as they'd be gone in the merest instant, before he even stopped moving enough for the camera to focus on them doing so. :)

Either that or she wasn't trying very hard.

Either that or it was For The Plot.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2011, 04:49:15 pm »

For the plot?  What a ridiculous suggestion.  It'll never be that!

:))
Pages: 1 2 [3]