Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Secret immortality and immortals  (Read 5636 times)

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Secret immortality and immortals
« on: September 30, 2011, 11:12:43 pm »

If I understand it right, a mortal (human or dwarf) creature that discovers the new necromancy secret gains immortality and the ability to raise the dead. But what about necromancers from the already immortal (elf and goblin) races?
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Secret immortality and immortals
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 11:34:14 pm »

clearly they ascend to the dwarf plain of existence

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 01:00:41 am »

I THINK Toady said only humans actively seek out tablets of life and death for now, but I could be wrong.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 04:20:43 am »

Immortals (goblins and elves, as well as vampire humans or dwarves) won't seek out secrets of immortality for the time being, even if a secret provides other benefits beyond immortality.

Quote from: thvaz
Can vampires learn the secret of raising corpses? If yes,the system can then handle two types of night creatures on the same historical figure. This means we will have vampire werecreatures?

The secrets of life and death are only passed along to mortals currently, so I think when vampires lose their mortality, they are no longer eligible and don't care in any case, though the added power might be welcome to them (secrets of life and death are only sought by people that want to be immortal, but include powers beyond that, so it isn't consistent now).  Necromancers tend to cut out from society too soon to profane any temples.  When other vampire creation methods are working, necromancers might become vampires more often.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 03:59:06 pm »

So will there be other entities that gain this immortality?   Facing your own immortal hero?    fighting the good fight till the end of days?   

I hope so.

"Flopdownes is a long walk to the south, there Urist McHeropants the burning sow and Krahl BurnyDeath the golden one fight in eternal combat."

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 04:26:42 pm »

So will there be other entities that gain this immortality?   Facing your own immortal hero?    fighting the good fight till the end of days?   

I hope so.

"Flopdownes is a long walk to the south, there Urist McHeropants the burning sow and Krahl BurnyDeath the golden one fight in eternal combat."
I'm reasonably sure it's the "Will not age" flavor of immortality, not the "cannot die" flavor. Although I suppose it's possible the latter will show up at some point.

Edit: for spelling. Derp.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:09:53 pm by Deimos56 »
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 05:59:50 pm »

Like I said in another thread, immortality usually doesn't mean unkillable.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 08:15:54 pm »

"Immortal perhaps...but not invincible!"

That's my favourite line from Prince Of Persia 3. Learn it, love it, live it.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 06:00:11 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if certain things become unkillable.

Like assorted gods, if they start showing up in person in the future. At least unless you have some means of doing so.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 02:01:01 am »

A deathless being is something kinda hard to do by df logic, unless it has a special tag. It would basically have to be a soul that could keep commanding a body regardless of damage done to it, or a body that instantly regrew anything it lost.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 02:11:53 am »

well, i'll just have to make immortal dodge into ponds.
problem solved.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 02:48:12 am »

problem solved.

Gods, vampires, immortals, beware, not even you can face the power of: the pond.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 05:34:09 am »

problem solved.

Gods, vampires, immortals, beware, not even you can face the power of: the pond.

until toady enables a Dig action like in fortress mode for adventures, but even then, they should have a pick.
or claws maybe.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 06:14:08 am »

What if they don't need to breathe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXW02XmBGQw

Oh, right... cave-ins.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 12:39:08 pm »

I'm reasonably sure it's the "Will not age" flavor of immortality, not the "cannot die" flavor. Although I suppose it's possibly the latter will show up at some point.

Personally I love flavors of "cannot die" immortality.  It still hurts for instance.
(My favorite is what the basilisks of Amara had: even if they were atomized, magic would painfully reconstruct them atom by atom.  After agonizingly long existences they had taken to dive bombing planets they went out to visit, with the hope that maybe their immortality would fail and they, would in fact, not come back).
Pages: [1] 2 3