Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soldiers get stuck on "Pickup equipment"  (Read 2463 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Soldiers get stuck on "Pickup equipment"
« on: March 06, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »

I've had a couple of soldiers get stuck when going to pick up equipment. The only thing that seems to fix it is undrafting and redrafting them, at which point they go off and get the equipment just fine.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Soldiers get stuck on "Pickup equipment"
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »

I had something similar happen.  One of the dwarves I drafted had been a woodcutter, and he kept going for an axe, but he never picked it up, just kept walking back and forth on it until I designated the axe as his chosen weapon.  He picked it up and did his deal then.

Check out their weapons and equipment screen, they might be going for an item that is out of reach or forbidden as well.

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

Mine didn't even do that. They just sort of stopped moving altogether, a good ways away from the object in question.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »

I've seen that happen once, but I didn't get the save.  If somebody has a save with such a dwarf, I should be able to fix the problem.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 04:31:00 am »

I think it happens when you set a woodcutter (and only a woodcutter) who currently has an axe to use a different weapon when drafted and then draft him. It appears that the woodcutter will not properly drop his axe, causing him to repeatedly pick up and drop the new weapon.

I was able to get around the bug by undrafting and removing his wood cutting job. :/

Sadly enough, I do not have the save where that happened. In fact, that fort fell shortly thearafter to an ambush.  :( (I was trying for a "generational" fort, where everybody in the fortress was all part of the same family. :3. Very sad when I lost that one)

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »

I didn't see Jamini's behaviour; however, I did notice that the woodcutter, drafted to use a non-axe, then undrafted, didn't have wood cutting on anymore.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:15:00 pm »

Mmm..the woodcutter wasn't my problem. One of my soldiers was a longstanding marksman who was just going to get more bolts after she ran out.
Come play Mafia with us!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »

I've had the same problem MANY times...and I think I eventually tracked it down in my case. The dwarf in question...always the same one..had picked up bolts before he picked up a quiver...and so he was running to the next location which contained  the stuff he needed (quiver, full suit of platemail) and just standing there with his hands full (crossbow and bolts). This was only fixed by removing his armor/weapon preferences, then telling him to put on armor, then arm himself.

Toady, do dwarves actually pick up an item into their hands before donning it?

I also had the same problem later with my dungeonmaster claiming his x-teenth silk cloak...he has one in each hand, was wearing armok knows how many, and was standing in the workshop trying to pick up one. Eventually he stopped when a smelting job distracted him.

Sometimes when I tell a large # of dwarves to don armor, one or more of them gets stuck for a little while on the stockpile. Once I looked at one of them and noticed the only thing he needed ( a boot) was not on that tile. My suspicion is that when 2 dwarves hit the tile at the same time, one might grab the item first, leaving the other to ponder, "now there was a boot here a second ago...."

Eskarion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

I also experienced this problem several times. In my current fortress (176.38b) a royal guard (set to unarmed, chain, shield) is standing in the armor stockpile and tries to put on some boots. He is taking them in the right hand, then drops them and takes another boot (and so is causing constant hauling jobs). When I release him from the guard or set him to no armor/shield he will drop all his stuff and do something else but as soon as I redraft him or set him again to chain/shield, the procedure will start again. Last time I tried this, I also noticed, that he took a shield AND a buckler in the same hand.

I uploaded a savefile here (its a tar.gz file because I'm on a linux machine and dont have any proper winDos compressors but AFAIK GZip should be available for winDos too   :) )

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 05:36:00 am »

Okay, I've downloaded it and I'll check it out at some point.  I'll tie this thread into Bug 344 on the list.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

I'm having this trouble with a marksdwarf.  Unfortunately she is an elite, so I can't undraft her.  It tried removing all of her equipment from the [m]ilitary screen, but that didn't do anything.  She already has bolts in a quiver, a crossbow, and a full set of armor with shield, so I don't even know what she was going to pick up.  The only other thing I can think of is to forbid all of her items, but it would take a long time to go through the stocks screen to track down which items are in her inventory.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 11:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Crafty Barnardo:
<STRONG>a long time to go through the stocks screen to track down which items are in her inventory.</STRONG>

'v' 'i' +- to get to the item, enter, 'd'

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

Well, she finally got unstuck anyway.  I think she finally got tired and went to sleep.  She seems to be acting normally now.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 07:32:00 am »

The problem with them sitting on boots or gloves has been fixed for next time.  They'll probably still have other difficulties.

Trollvottel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 08:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>I did notice that the woodcutter, drafted to use a non-axe, then undrafted, didn't have wood cutting on anymore.</STRONG>

Same with miners:

1a)

(m) -> (w) -> set a (non-drafted) miner to use any weapon.

This deactivates mining in the (v) -> (j) Jobs list for that dwarf.

1b)

(v) -> (p) -> (s) [View Unit, Preferences, Soldiering): I think activating a weapon here will also cause the miner job to be removed.

2)

Also seems to happen when undrafting non-wrestling miners:
1. Activate a squad with at least one miner in it
2. Have the squad train with crossbows
3. Undraft the squad.
4. For that squad's Miner(s), Mining is now off.
Took me almost a season to notice that only one out of my five miners was mining. The others had helped defeat a goblin siege and all had Mining turned off when they returned to civilian life.

3)
I think it also causes weird behavior if a dwarf has equipped the only two-handed sword in the fortress (a longsword), and you set him to carry two weapons.

[ May 21, 2008: Message edited by: Trollvottel ]