Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help : aboveground fortresses  (Read 1509 times)

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help : aboveground fortresses
« on: September 29, 2011, 10:18:41 pm »

Can someone give me some tips for aboveground fortresses? Id like to limit digging to basements and quarrys.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Help : aboveground fortresses
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:34:24 pm »

Import a LOT!  A large map gives you more trees, which will be your main source of construction materials.  That, or quarrying, which is big time digging.

Jinsanity

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dwarven Medicine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:10:50 pm »

If you've got sand available, making a thriving glassmaking industry and building something like the Emerald City (a la The Wizard of oz) is one way to get the amount of construction materials you'll need fairly easily.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:13:37 pm »

Clay gathering is your best friend in the absence of wood--endless source, for which you don't (ideally) need to dig deep.  Expand your city wall as you community grows, you'll naturally end up with city districts in the long term.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:18:50 pm »

Alternatively, you can mod in a workshop (there's one somewhere) that will turn logs into 10 "planks". This will make building stuff out of wood vastly easier.

MrC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:28:47 pm »

Put food in basements or covered warehouses to avoid being mobbed by animals that steal food (i.e. Vultures). Once you have basic food production and sleeping quarters assign all non woodcutters/miners to carpentry and build a wooden wall around your map with a 3-square wide entrance that you can fill with cage traps. Happy dwarfing you filthy surface-dweller you!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 11:29:55 pm »

It's far easier to collect clay then sand; though glass is worth more. Why? Well to get clear glass you need pearlash and sand. Pearlash is made from wood products. To get equal value clay you need fire clay from an underground source.

All in all, for above ground base value clay is easier to process than green glass but higher value the glass is the only above ground industry you could make.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 11:34:38 pm »

Clay is a great building material, if you've got magma.  If you're working with charcoal and clay, then you might as well just build the logs into the wall because it will cost the same number of trees as clay bricks would.  Clay is also fun for the uniform color, but otherwise not efficient without magma.

The "10 planks" modding has issues, namely that it tends to take one plank and make another 10 planks, because the only good way to make it work is to have a "plank" be counted as a "log" and then it'll just grab "a log" which means "a plank that is actually a log".  Easier would be to produce 10 blocks from 1 log, clean and smooth.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 11:35:34 pm »

Clay can be used raw for building material (walls). Glass has to be forged first. Unless you have a volcano/exposed magma pipe above ground, clay is better for low value walls.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 11:36:51 pm »

Oh can it?  I could have sworn that clay needed to be worked into bricks first.  Hmm, alright then, loose clay will build up a fort rather quickly.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 11:40:39 pm »

Clay is a great building material, if you've got magma.  If you're working with charcoal and clay, then you might as well just build the logs into the wall because it will cost the same number of trees as clay bricks would.  Clay is also fun for the uniform color, but otherwise not efficient without magma.

The "10 planks" modding has issues, namely that it tends to take one plank and make another 10 planks, because the only good way to make it work is to have a "plank" be counted as a "log" and then it'll just grab "a log" which means "a plank that is actually a log".  Easier would be to produce 10 blocks from 1 log, clean and smooth.

Actually the mod workshop will not run into that problem. I don't seem to have the raws handy, I think they're on my desktop, not my laptop. It should be in the modding section somewhere however.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 06:53:50 am »

Oh can it?  I could have sworn that clay needed to be worked into bricks first.  Hmm, alright then, loose clay will build up a fort rather quickly.
It can be used straight out of the ground for Constructions, but I think that's it. Everything else requires bricks... dunno, try making a bridge out of it. It's not worth much at all though, and glass (and glass blocks) outvalue bricks.

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 07:46:15 am »

WALLS
GIANT WALLS SURROUNDING YOUR FORT

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 09:46:15 am »

embark in a dangerous area, with agressive animals. Use them for leather and bones, they'll come at you for free!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 12:39:08 pm »

Dig a moat first, with as much space to build inside.

AND THEN BUILD UP.

Always wins. 'Cept fun happens soo...... Above ground prison complexes are really fun too, you can build it on a single support, with one exit filled with ditches, fortifications and traps ^_^
Oh and at least one 2 - way bridge - with the levers on each end respectively :P

Edit*
Bonus if it's built on top of a volcanoe
Pages: [1] 2