Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Old way to die. But, a new technique to fend off death.  (Read 5047 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Old way to die. But, a new technique to fend off death.
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 02:22:09 am »

DF style.

Rolling on a completely random chart is the exact opposite of DF style cause and effect though.

Unless your fighting Boogymen.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 03:05:10 am »

I don't see how concrete setting flavor like "don't be outside at night or horrible things will probably kill you" has anything to do with "whelp i rolled 1 on my d100,000 choking saving throw, i die".   One is specifically part of the world that you can interact with and plan around- making the world a dangerous place you have to think about-, and the other would be a wholly randomized death that isn't fun or interactive.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 03:31:02 am »

I don't see how concrete setting flavor like "don't be outside at night or horrible things will probably kill you" has anything to do with "whelp i rolled 1 on my d100,000 choking saving throw, i die".   One is specifically part of the world that you can interact with and plan around- making the world a dangerous place you have to think about-, and the other would be a wholly randomized death that isn't fun or interactive.

Naw I don't mean that

I mean you could have none of their attacks even harm you... then suddenly they chip a bone and you fall unconscious instantly and you cry like a baby as they punch your brain in... except they can't punch your brain in so your waiting until one of them somehow punches your brain in.

Your really just waiting for one physics defying punch when your up against them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:35:28 am by Neonivek »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 08:37:40 am »

Isn't the next update going to have some sort of "luck" stat?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2011, 08:39:00 am »

Something like some foods being a possible choking hazard (or perhaps hazards in other ways, like poisonous) you would only eat in an emergency or could use cooking skill to make more edible seems like something that could happen, but a chewing skill? Random chance of death for any food? It would be a bit like 40d and the chance of being headshoted, except whenever you eat food instead of whenever you fight archers.

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
Re: Old way to die. But, a new skill to fend off death.
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 11:41:03 am »

Generally speaking Capntastic... it ALL happened in backstore.

I have never seen someone choke to death while the book continues on (Mind you I have seen people fall down the stairs and die, get hit by a random car and die, and one romance story where a woman trying to climb down from her room fell out and died... all while the story was going on)

I have NEVER seen a story where a main important character just choked and died while the story was going on. Only "Our previous king died eating a pretzel"

Basket Ball's character Ted Danzlo, choked on a hotdog causing the Beer's to lose the Danzlo Cup by distracting the game point shot. .. .. .. yeah.. but other than that, no. .. .. Who the heck would even WANT this in a game? It's like suggesting that your Dwarf's should die from dehydration due to a low alcohol tolerance, from a bowel blockage, or high cholesterol.... if you had suggested that they choke on their teeth after getting their face bashed in by a megabeast... now that would have been !FUN!
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

Zyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 08:00:24 pm »

You should only choke on something that's edible if you're a NOT a which posseses any degree of intelligence(As in you're even before single celled organisims existed!).On swallowing swords and horns on the otherhand, your whole mouth is going to start bleeding when you bit it.
On everyone hating nethack for you choking on food:Solution:You can eat yourself to death.Do not eat every single peice of food you ever see.(It even warns you that you're satiated, hungry, or starving)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 08:03:58 pm »

Yes, and then we should be able to quickly train our dwarves chewing skill by creating the worlds largest buffet room.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 08:38:33 pm »

DF style.

Rolling on a completely random chart is the exact opposite of DF style cause and effect though.

You seems to underestimate the physics involved in chewing and swallowing. Almost every day we're all subjected to a random chance game, Russian Buffette. Will I survive my next meal? Who knows. Better not swallow, just to be safe.
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."
Pages: 1 2 [3]