Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Mechanics problem  (Read 1998 times)

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Mechanics problem
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:12:52 am »

Fellow Dwarfherders,

When I drive a mill from a mechanical power source like a water wheel or windmill, it sometimes happens that the mechanics has a kind of "brownout". This frequently happens with my Dwarven Water Reactors, and leads to the unqueueing of all the mills' jobs. The DWRs seem to loose power just for a fraction of a second, but this is enough to stop the milling. Connection several DWRs only prolongs the time between the de-queueing of the jobs.

So I'd suggest either to make the millstones more "fault tolerant" or to add a way to cover for the gaps. A flywheel comes to mind . it would be dwarfy enough.
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Mechanics problem
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 11:56:53 am »

This is because in your machinery, at some point, water below water wheel is lower than necessary (4/7 needed I think).

To solve that either add some more water to your reactor (assuming the design is proper), use river water to power them or switch to windmills instead.

Don't think this one should have place in Suggestions forum really, working as intended.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:59:17 am »

Actually I would agree it's a good idea to have jobs wait for severals seconds of power outage to cancel all jobs, powering a millstone with a non standard river (excluding water reactor wich I consider exploit) is just very frustrating.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:58:55 pm »

I think that jobs should just not dequeue when there's no power to the machine. Maybe make it an init option of how long you want to wait (-1 being forever).
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 03:35:51 pm »

I think a flywheel whould be to advanced for dwarfs.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 04:02:18 pm »

I just love the fact that the modelling in dwarf fortress is so spot on that a poorly designed reactor results in power brownouts sheerly through emergent gameplay.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 10:31:54 pm »

An alternative way to do it, with other benefits, is a toggle to make the job immune to cancelling.
Something like "Suspend or "Repeat".

As in "No, I don't care if you're out of bags, LEAVE that gather sand job in the queue!  There will be bags available as soon as the glassmaker gets off his break.  Don't make me come over there and re-add the job!"

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 08:21:38 am »

By the way, there is a method of keeping the Job in the queue... its called a manager.
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 12:10:55 pm »

This could aso extend to magma powered workshops.

And, in fact, this could be extended to *any* task - i might, for example, miss barrels for brewing, but that is no reason not to simply postpone my 'brew drinks R" task by month as automatically requeue it.

By the way, there is a method of keeping the Job in the queue... its called a manager.

Not really. Manager can not queue "do this as long as you have materials" jobs - something that you have to do by setting task in queue on repeat by visiting workshop.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 12:52:54 pm »

The manager is also incapable of queuing only "gather sand" at the standard workshop while keeping the actual production in the magma workshops.
Similarly, glass blocks should only be queued at the novice-restricted glassworks, while the jugs and mugs should only be made at the legendary-restricted glassworks.
The manager also has a problem with interleaving orders.  Repeating "milk" + "make cheese" needs only one bucket and no intermediate hauling.  Getting the manager to queue milk + cheese results in a ton of stockpiled milk before the cheese gets made.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 07:34:21 pm »

I think a flywheel whould be to advanced for dwarfs.
The flywheel has been around since at least the eleventh century
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 07:14:39 am »

So roll all of these suggestions into the Manager tab. You have to have a manager to profile a shop any way, so.... you could do something like:
  • Control Workshop Profiles from manager tab since you have to have a manager to profile the workshop anyway(would require naming workshops ideally).
  • Allow designation of a specific workshop, by name, from the manager tab.
  • Make manager tasks function like the repeat queue already in use in the workshop so that jobs listed for a specific shop repeat in the order they were added to the manager queue.
  • Allow for sorting the manager list by Job completion, Workshop, or Dwarf
  • Allow a permanent queue for the manager.(i.e. dwarf do this until you are told otherwise)
  • Have the manager verify all jobs available for a given workshop in one stop making it more efficient to give your manager a laundry list of things to do at once instead of adding them randomly.
  • Allow a 'zoom to workshop' key that would let you zoom to the work shop in which the job is queued.
  • Display the name of the Dwarf currently employed at the workshop performing job, the last Dwarf to work on the task, or N/A if no one has been working there for x turns.
  • Display the text in red if the job is not being completed because of a lack of mats.(which would let us do away with those annoying announcements.)

So your Manager tab would display something like

[Job]:[Ordered/Completed](or nonstop):[Workshop]:[Dwarf]

This would allow all the fine control of micromanaging your workshops without having to troll around the map configuring everyone individually, which is what the manager was supposed to do anyway.

..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.