Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: when I reclaim an old fort all the coffins are empty and  (Read 872 times)

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
when I reclaim an old fort all the coffins are empty and
« on: January 26, 2007, 08:47:00 am »

I just noticed this, I guess they must be emptied when the fort is abandoned but I haven't tested this yet.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: when I reclaim an old fort all the coffins are empty and
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »

In normal games the contents of tombs will eventually rot to nothing I believe; still, they should be marked as "The Tomb of Ingish Lightningbodice" or whoever.

(If would be nice to have a way to preserve the bodies, though; maybe the ability to make mummy wrap at the clothesmaker's workshop once House Rash sets up shop in your fort?)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 01:04:00 am »

The bones and skulls inside shouldn't disappear.  I thought I put in a provision to preserve tombs, but apparently that didn't work out correctly.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 02:51:00 am »

if it hasn't been changed since i last played this (which was rather a while ago)

.... you might find the corpses/parts of it in the same tile as the coffin... de-assign the tomb (ie no longer a room) and make it available for burying and see if it doesn't go back to being "occupied"

OldMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 07:48:00 am »

I have never seen a corpse decay once placed in a tomb.  Once you have the stocks screen, go ahead and check the [corpses] list, and then hit tab to see individual items.  You will find everyone's corpse who was inturred in a coffin just fine.  The game even keeps their rotted level, so you might see Fib Urshsetson's rotted corpse.

It is good that coffins keep dwarves from rotting because (1) rotting will trigger bad thoughts to family members, no matter where the corpse is and (2) it means if a tantrumming dwarf destroys an occupied coffin, the rotting process continues exactly where it left off.  It's a wonderful bit of continuity for those who have no further continuation.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »

The relation rot thought shouldn't occur when the body is in a coffin, although if they aren't rotting in coffins at all it would be hard to tell -- this is an artifact of stopping food from rotting when it is up for trade in trade depots, so I'll probably change that.  Bodies should rot in coffins.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!