Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180525 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

"Gods. Gar's still alive."
---------------------
Well, Gar's still alive! We drug him and some other dwarf out of the old food store room, both of them looking pretty damn fat and healthy.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((things have got a bit messy, haven't they? and gar, I don't know where that picture is from, but it's quite a good one for the situation))

A New Recruit:

No dwarf understood the importance of getting a proper burial more than Neo. He'd never had one, for example. Once they had made sure that there were no goblins left on the first floor, he had started hauling bodies, and the remnants of bodies, into the newest burial chamber. That was where Hugo found him.

"Hello! Neo, correct? Is this the place for new recruits?"

Neo looked around. There was still an armor stand in the corner, tucked away behind three coffins. He nodded. "It's the barracks, yes. Don't let all the coffins fool you. What do you need?"

"I'm here to join up, sir! I got some skills with an axe, and I want to put them to good use. Now, I'm kind of rusty, so I thought I could train up on some of the harmless cavern critters, but I wanted to tell you I was joining first... Is that wrong?"

Neo managed, just barely, to keep from laughing in the enthusiastic newcomer's face.  "Yes, yes. You can join, of course. But... how long have you been here?"

"Got here just before the siege started."

"All right, come with me. I'm going to tell you a little bit about Oceanbridge, and the "harmless creatures" that live in the caverns. The first thing to learn... is that there aren't any."

"You mean nothing lives down there at all?"

"No, I mean nothing harmless."

Meanwhile

Remalle didn't know where he was. He wasn't sure where he'd been either, and he was completely sure that he didn't know where he was going.

"Dig a tunnel to the other shore". That's what they'd been told. It had only just occurred to him that they had no way of knowing where the other shore was, down here. It was a small problem.

He kept digging.

Next: Let's Look at the Bridge

((it's almost impossible to take screenshots while the fort is running. Bah.))

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

Woo!  New updates!  You've made me a very happy boy.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((yes yes updates))

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties

Well, I met with the mayor today. That smith Billon managed to melt down enough aluminum junk for us to make it into a new piece of aluminum junk, so I knew he didn't want to know about that. No, he wanted to know when we were planning on retaking the bridge. As in, he thought we should give it a try right now.

This is why I don't talk to mayors. (Well, why I don't want to talk to mayors. They'll talk to who they want, and it's hard to stop them)

Fortunately, both the Soldier and Neo were able to convince him that we still needed time to recover and rebuild the militia. But his question... it did wonder what shape the bridge was in. I asked Gar if he had seen anything, and of course he hadn't (the man keeps giving me odd looks, though).  After some asking around, Di-III volunteered to dig a quick tunnel to the surface and take a look around.

And she found where the goblins went.

She filled the tunnel back in very quickly, so that's good. But it might be some time still before we can call this siege "over". Why can't those goblins spontaneously combust? They could learn something from the ape-men.

Next: More Things

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see goblin where magma should be. Too bad our magma pump stack is destroyed...

nd gar, I don't know where that picture is from, but it's quite a good one for the situation
That's Freddie Mercury meme pic with some make-up of mine. Had to look for Gar's appearance in the thread.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

((Wanted to make a portrait of Hugo but don't have the motivation right now to make a decent picture))

The Musings of Hugo
   Being here at the "Bridge" is quite an honor and exciting, this place wishes to create the largest bridge known to dwarf-kind and not only that but here death waits around every corner and only the strong survive. I sought out the one called Neo to inquire about lending my axe to the noble cause of defending this monument, found out about this chap's name from asking a few others about where to sign up for the militia and he was the go to guy. When I found him and made clear my request he simply said ok, all but for the last part which was the cave critters being harmless, apparently they are blood thirsty here which seems odd as where I come from the cave critters was mainly mole dogs and crundles of course there was the odd croc and olm here and there and rarely a giant spider. But training is training, and what better way to knock the rust off then by fighting things that want you dead as much and you to them.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice, Hugo!

So, fun news. My laptop is done for. Now, my cranky old desktop has shut down, and will not start up. Now, I hold out hope that it will start again, but until them, I have no computer. It feels odd. I am borrowing my sisters fancy tablet phone thing to write this. It is fancy, but probably not fancy enough for dwarf fortress.

I also have a 1987 vendex somewhere. Probably won't be all that good for dwarf fortress either.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

It appears Oceanbridge is cursed in and out of game.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DWARF FORTRESS - when simulation extends outside it's sandbox.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hope not! Next thing you know I'm going to be attacked by six armed ape men whenever I try to go to work.

My sister and I are working on getting her old computer working. It's from 2003.

I'm going backwards in time.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, that's not much, I count 2 goblin swordsmen, 2 archers, one behind the glass and a troll, or is it a table?

And good luck with that computer.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, that's just a small section. And there are goblins on every similar section.

Got things working again, kind of. Update soon.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok now I have a computer. And it works. And it loaded up oceanbridge in less than a minute. And it overheats if you so much as say a word near it, but that's ok because I have a fan.

So update soon, for certain.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((and now))

More About Goblins:

Ishar, Di-III and Riczo had decided that they were now the official scouts of Oceanbridge. Of course, scouting these days meant digging a hole to the surface, popping up and looking around like some sort of rodent, and immediately jumping back down and filling the hole in behind you when a maddened war giraffe came charging your way.

Still, they'd managed to get a semi-accurate count of the goblins.

Riczo delivered the report to the Soldier. "Sixty goblins, and nine of those ogre things, Commander. Plus another thirty or so goblins in cages, and one very friendly elf. Not sure what's going on with him, but it's creepy."

"Thank you for the report, Riczo. I don't like it, but thank you." So sixty goblins, at least, the Soldier though. And against that, they had... sixty-seven dwarfs, many of them injured. No, make that just sixty. The mayor hadn't liked the idea of recruiting the children of the fortress.

She was trying to think of a way to arm the ghosts of the fortress when Riczo came running back, waving his hands wildly. "Sorry commander, got to make it sixty-one!"

There was a goblin, wielding a very large axe, only a few strides behind him.

Fortunately for both of them, and less fortunately for the goblin, Neo was in one of the side rooms, looking for spare coffins. He heard the noise, stepped out into the hall, and the charging goblin ran head on into his sword.

"And back down to sixty! Thanks Neo, now I don't got to change the list!"

Neo shrugged, and went back to his search.

Next: Traps are Good
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 85