Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180632 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort (.34.02!)
« Reply #810 on: March 28, 2012, 09:11:42 am »

It's probably one of two things.
1. They remember where the pressure plate was and avoided it, being a part of your civ. Traders act this way if they see your traps and avoid them while hostile. Probably a bug if so.
2. The pressure plate was designed not to be triggered by dwarfs. The default option, and the sensible one. Also probably a bug, or a feature, because they are still a dwarf after all.
That's my ideas anyway. I don't know 100% for sure. I'm sure someone will test this with !!SCIENCE!! later.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 28, 2012, 10:31:43 am »

Hm... that should have worked with the previous versions of DF - surprising it's not possible now. Meh, more kills for me.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 28, 2012, 01:54:35 pm »

Documentation of walking dead by Goldhammer, year 141(is it still the same year?)

Dead things rising from the grave and refusing to stay dead in god forsaken lands may not be anything new to dwarfkind, these places are after all a place not even a god would want to keep track off. However this is the first time anyone has seen a dead dwarf rise from the grave as flesh and blood. I was going  to propose we keep one of our dead comrades for the sake of !SCIENCE! but the militia commander reacted with no concern for proper protocol.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 28, 2012, 04:34:31 pm »

2. The pressure plate was designed not to be triggered by dwarfs. The default option, and the sensible one. Also probably a bug, or a feature, because they are still a dwarf after all.
That's my ideas anyway. I don't know 100% for sure. I'm sure someone will test this with !!SCIENCE!! later.

This is what I think happened. That's the option I set it too, and the zombie water buffalo that came along later triggered them just fine.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 03, 2012, 06:51:52 pm »

WAT? I get here and 5 minutez later I'm a zombie. Sigh. Get me a new Fighter.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 04, 2012, 08:51:00 am »

WAT? I get here and 5 minutez later I'm a zombie. Sigh. Get me a new Fighter.

Do you have any idea what amount of paperwork such haphazard body snatching causes? It's enough to drive a dorf mad.

notenome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 14, 2012, 09:31:13 am »

oceanbridge?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 16, 2012, 08:44:46 am »

Update coming today.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 16, 2012, 03:05:10 pm »

((OK!))

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished:

Well, dear readers, when I last spoke to you we were facing a new sort of zombie attack: this one being the "old friends rise up and kill you" sort. Though Kingfisher wasn't my friend, or really the friend of anyone in Oceanbridge, the effect is still the same, I think. Disheartening. Morale is running low.

After the failure of the trap scheme, Ishar decided to take matters into his own hands, I assume. He led a group out the gate, and I, feeling the need to be useful, joined them. Ishar ran ahead of the group, and put Kingfisher and several undead falcons down with a few handy swings of his mace. A job well done, and if he had left it at that, the poor man might still be alive right now!

But he apparently felt he could take on the zombie ogres who are the source of our troubles. There were three of them, shambling between the dead trees, and they thought otherwise. I was unfortunately in a good position to witness Ishar's death, being just a few yards behind him.

Perhaps some poor decision making on my part as well, there. I ran back to meet the rest of the militia, zombies hot on my heels. Lurching in that direction, at least. They aren't the fastest, otherwise I might not be writing this now.

After that... I'm sorry, readers. I can't even begin to describe what happened. "Chaos" is a decent word, but I don't think it quite does our battle justice.

One ogre tossed a spearman into our wall, which was quite some distance away. He did not survive. Kingfisher's body rose up once more, only to be crushed back into death by the butt of Bayar's spear. I'm told that he came back again and fell again one more time, but I didn't see it. The ogres died, got back up, were chopped to pieces, and the pieces themselves began trying to kill us. We were punched by severed hands, throttled by the mangled remains of legs... Harpies flew over head, which under normal circumstances would have been cause for alarm. I don't think we even noticed them at the time. Too busy doing battle with undead fingernails.

Eventually it ended, and we somehow found ourselves back in the safety of the wall. We left behind a number of bodies, though how long they'll remain that way is anyone's guess.

I can't even imagine what will happen if we end up besieged in this place. I begin to understand why the dwarfs here are all so nervous.

Next: Updates, On Time!

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 16, 2012, 04:39:58 pm »

Oh. Still, well fought. This dwarf lasted way more than the previous, and wasn't even crippled in any way. At least he went down swinging, not to some bullshit disease, madness, or general dwarf idiocy. I'm proud of him.

Needless to say, dwarf me again if a capable warrior shows up.

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 16, 2012, 08:39:15 pm »

What is the Status on Jordal?

notenome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 16, 2012, 08:55:56 pm »

If you would be so kind as to dwarf me as architect, or more exactly an urban planner, perhaps a designer. A man, or rather a dwarf, that sees Oceanbridge not as a fortress, nor as a bridge, but as an opportunity. An opportunity to turn dreams into a bridge, or perhaps a bridge into a dream. An opportunity to channel that divine spark that dwells in all dwarfs, to make manifest and concrete the higher aspirations of dwarfdom.

For any idiot can build a bridge, but it takes a genius to build a monument. And a monument lasts forever. Or until the next world gen.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 17, 2012, 12:54:46 am »

Who remains among the living?
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 17, 2012, 11:53:19 am »

((Probably best not to answer that for now! It's going to change))

Late Winter, Year 2:

"There's Kingfisher again."

"Kingfisher... again..." Essen looked up from the tablet she was taking notes in. "How many times has that thing been killed?"

"At least three, though I can't say anything for certain. He's a stubborn fellow."

Essen looked at the list she had been making. 'Write down all the zombies you can see, so we know what we're dealing with', Bayar had said. It had seemed simple enough, but now she was uncertain.

"What about the ogre's hands? Do those count as a zombie each, or what?"

"An interesting question!" Wilberforce thought it over. "In my experience, brief though it may be, living dead body parts are quite independent. The original owner isn't involved, as such. Remember that yak skin?"

"Right. So, two hands makes two zombies, for a total of... thirty."

The field in front of Oceanbridge was filled with the undead.

Essen sighed. "Ishar's out there too, now." She pointed at one of the shambling bodies. "It's terrible! We always lose our best soldiers to these things!"

"Don't feel too bad for Ishar. I'm sure he's not in there. It's just some malevolent entity of some sort animating his body, or something like that. It could be worse!"

Essen looked at Wilberforce, who, to her amazement, seemed serious. "Thanks, that does make me feel better." It was all she could think to say.

"Of course!"

Next: Harpies and Engravers

((Going to do three or four short updates today, including dwarfings. Gonna do it.))

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 17, 2012, 03:37:55 pm »

Hm. Do zombies keep the original skills of the host body? If so, my corpse could be a bit of a problem, with all that fighting experience.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 85