Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180618 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort (.34.02!)
« Reply #795 on: March 23, 2012, 12:24:52 pm »

((I shall!))

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished

Stunning revelations this year, but unfortunately I'm still as lost as a frog without a pond, or something like that. I'm lost like an animal that was well suited to one place, but now finds himself in another. You understand the gist of it. I don't, I admit.

Fearful and foreboding incidents are still the order of the day around here, so no one was surprised when a soapmaker took over a workshop. He had a mysterious glow about his eyes, and some strange force kept the masons from entering and throwing the man out. A clear case of possesion, though what by, I'm not sure.

Eventually, he came out hauling a cabinet. Perhaps he was posessed by a dwarf's spirit, a spirit with a deep and abiding love of cabinets! It would make as much sense as any other explanation.

Bayar, I hear, has ordered the construction of some solid steel weapons for the soldiers here. It must come as a relief to them, because Derm (Hm...) and Ishar and the rest just returned from beating a "living" yak skin back into the world of the dead.

Doing that barehanded seems like it would be unpleasant.

My quest to figure out this mess continues. I realize that I should have picked up that book that I saw before. Have to ask the owner, whoever it is.

Next: Bridge Building with Slime

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 23, 2012, 06:27:34 pm »

Documentation of a possession by Gold Hammer, 141

Today I've overheard we had a possession. Investigating this rumor has led me to a Dwarf who's name is not important. Apparently this was a benevolent act what benefited the fortress and will not be investigated further.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 23, 2012, 08:24:30 pm »

Memory and Knowledge. Purpose and Identity. I'm starting to get them all back. Not all of it, not yet. But it's a start. I remember who I was. Who I am.

I am Croaker. I was a doctor. Then I was a disembodied spirit, lost for so damn long I'd forgotten who I even was.

But I have returned. I have made a deal with the owner of my host body. During the waking hours, I control his body. He has it when sleep comes around. (Given the shit he dreams about, I don't think I'd mind much either). After all this time - centuries, as far as I can tell - I have a body again.

Damn, it feels good to be alive.

Now, first things first. I recall writing a chronicle of my life in Old Oceanbridge. I recall stashing it somewhere. I just can't, for the unlife of me, recall
where. Guess I'll just have to roam the halls until the memory hits or I die of natural causes - which sure as shit won't happen here.

I may not have all my memories back, but at least I have my piss and my vinegar.

In the meantime, this fort needs my expertise on all things medical. Off to join the fort's hospital I go. When that's done, I'm off to roam the halls, meet some locals, see if I can sense anything that's familiar. I already know some of the folks from way back when are still around in one way or another. I wonder what they remember...
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 23, 2012, 08:26:42 pm »

Did you dorf me as an axedwarf and/or doctor?
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 24, 2012, 04:18:35 pm »

((I think I haven't! On the list.))

More of Everyone Else:

"And that's why I shouldn't be working out there. I'm a glass expert, and you've got me spending all my time hauling blocks of rock onto a cold bridge, made out of rock blocks.

Slime smiled at the glassmaker, who was named Corai.

Slime was in a good mood most of the time, and why not? The bridge was coming along wonderfully. It still lacked that... personality that a few deaths on site gave a project like this, but she was confident that would change soon. Meanwhile... "Corai, you're right, and I'm sorry."

"Really?"

"This bridge needs a glassmaker's touch! I heard we found some rock crystal down in the mines! Can't you just imagine looking down through crystalline glass to see the raging ocean, far below you?"

"Uh... yes?"

"Great! You're in charge of that. It'll be dangerous, but this bridge has to be perfect. No risk is too risky!"

The dining room complete, Aussie Evil was free to start engraving. Something simple to start with... yes, something that symbolized the fortress and its leaders, and their whole effort. He set to work.

A day later Essen came down to the dining room for a meal, and nearly had a heart attack when she saw what was carved in the pillars next to the stairs.

Next: Short Conversations

((Possums are pretty scary, see.))

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 24, 2012, 04:35:28 pm »

Slime is right, the death count is sadly and surprisingly low. No sieges or anything lately?
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 24, 2012, 06:44:45 pm »

It's near the end of the second year, and I traded away over 1000 worth to the merchants. So, hopefully sieges?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 25, 2012, 03:29:12 pm »

((Wooo exposition))

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished

My attempts to track down that book have been put off for the time, as more migrants have arrived! There's a surprising number of dwarfs living around here, I must say. Unfortunately, they were attacked by the zombie ogres the moment they arrived, so there's about two less, now.

This group was led by a certain Kingfisher, apparently a renowned warrior in the outpost he came from.

When the ogres struck, he struck back, hoping, I suppose, to hold them off until help arrived or until his companions reached the safety of the walls. The second part worked, but Kingfisher himself perished in the fight.

A damn shame, as he seemed quite brave. I would have liked to have met him. Though odds are that I might, some day!

Wilberforce sighed, and rolled up the scroll of paper he'd been writing on.  It had occurred to him that, sooner or later, he would have to find the original copy of his memoirs from the Old Oceanbridge days. The new volume just wouldn't make sense without them.

"Wilberforce!"

Ah, Wilberforce thought. A strange whisper from the shadows by the door! No doubt someone who wants to keep his identity a bit secret here, so that would mean...
"Remalle! How are you?"  He stood up from his bed, and strode toward the door. "Tell all! Are you one of the undead? Is that how you're still alive after all these years? I won't judge, not in a position to, of course."

Remalle stepped out of the door's shadow. "Please, shut up." He was definitely Remalle, Wilberforce decided. No mistaking that cautious and uncertain expression. The anger was a bit new, of course.

Remalle looked out the door before turning back to Wilberforce, saying "Listen, if I... I don't know, tell you a few things, will you answer a question for me? And then leave me alone?"

"If that's what you want, then yes. But I am immensely curious! What's going on with the world? And how are you still here? "

"Well, that's part of my question... But... ok, it's been a long time since Oceanbridge fell. It... literally fell. I and a couple of others managed to tunnel out to safety, and when we came out onto the shore, there was some sort of earthquake. The whole damn bridge fell into the ocean! I don't know how I lived through that either... The earthquake, the wall of water that hit the shore afterward, and then the undead. It was a nightmare."

"More nightmarish than Old Oceanbridge at the end?"

"I... yes."

"Very nightmarish, then!"

"I think that... something was released when that all happened. I don't know if it was Rakust, or something else... but after that, the whole dead coming back from the living things started, and things just fell apart. There were more disasters, those ice giants attacked everyone... Dwarfs and humans barely survived, I think. That was all a long time ago, of course. I don't know how long it's been exactly, and I don't know why I'm still alive. Some sort of curse..."

"A curse! You always did like your curses. I remember that."

"Shut up. Anyway, I've been wandering ever since. I just want to stay alive, and avoid ever coming back to this place. But I did, and now you, and Neo, and Derm are all back here! How? What the hell does that even mean?" That's my question."

Wilberforce nodded, though he wasn't sure why. "Why did I come back? No clue. Something to do with unfinished business, maybe. Floating about in the ether was a bit dull anyway, and this whole place is a mess and a half. It needs fixing, and that's what I intend to do."

"Fix it? Fix what? And how?"

"Not sure, Remalle, not sure. But I will do it."

Remalle shrugged. "That's all I've got for you, anyway. I'm going now." And with that, he did. He didn't even seem to move, he simply wasn't there anymore. That probably means something, Wilberforce thought.

He stood, watching the spot where Remalle had been, before giving up and sitting back down on his bed. He had a lot more to note down in the memoirs, that was certain.

Next: Actual Exciting Things?

((Sorry for making Remalle Captain Backstory, but it does, I think, fit with the character. And I'm sorry about Kingfisher. He was an axdwarf, and he died about two minutes after I named him. Forgot to pause the game when I started writing the update, which is why he dies right in the middle of it.))

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 26, 2012, 02:45:44 am »

((Possums are pretty scary, see.))
Giant possum? Those, who collapses dead at every danger? A symbol of The Great Bridge?!
Fits it the most!

Also, I think we should modify the Bridge Project. It should be hanging at supports at both ends, and linked to lever
like this:
Code: [Select]
+++++ - Shore
===== - bridge
I+++I - The Bridge hanging at supports mounted to arcs above
+++++
+++++

Supports could be just at ends, or all along the length of bridge to top cat-walk way.
This design allows putting the final dot to Oceanbridge's history when Varnish gets too bored with it. Also, it can introduce the random chance of FUN - just release a macaque at control room.  :D
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 26, 2012, 11:32:18 am »

Giant possum? Those, who collapses dead at every danger? A symbol of The Great Bridge?!
Giant possum is at least three times bigger than a dwarf so it may very well crush the opponent with it's body when collapsing dead.  ;)

Also, why is this still 34.02?  I've heard new versions have a few fixes (for bugs I haven't encountered) and features.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 26, 2012, 08:34:19 pm »

(heard around the fortress, mutterings from AussieEvil the engraver)

The possum is perfect... the possum is perfect...
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 26, 2012, 11:01:02 pm »

((I'm trying out the new version, haven't updated the title post yet. Short update for now))

Early Winter, Year Two

Shouting woke Bayar from her first decent sleep in months. Shouting, and someone shaking her arm, which was a doubly unpleasant way to be awoken. "Wake up, damn it, wake up. It's happening here, too!"

Bayar blinked. She could just make out a... person standing next to her. Haika? Yes, that's who it was. Haika, the planter. She'd always been a bit panicky, for as long as Bayar had known her. Hopefully this was nothing...

"What? Please, slow down, Haika. Tell me what you're talking about."

"That dwarf, Kingfisher or whatever his name was. He's come back! He's shambling around with the ogres, with his head still bashed in!"

All right, this is different, Bayar realized. "Damn. Let me get my spear."

Next: No, Nothing Exciting

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 27, 2012, 06:59:45 am »

Spears suck. Dwarves, to hammers!!!
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 27, 2012, 04:48:48 pm »

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished:

The dead walk among us! More than usual, I mean. Kingfisher and the other recruit have risen, and set their sights on killing us all. Bayar has ordered them destroyed, as thoroughly as possible. When I asked why "destroyed", I was told that Haika, Bayar, and the other first founders had to flee their old home due to all the dead dwarfs coming back like this. I can understand why they find it upsetting; if you're going to return from the grave, well, there's better ways to go about it.

Still, it was cause for excitement for at least one dwarf. Gar, the mechanic has set up some sort of strange system of bridges and pressure plates, the idea being to crush any zombies that approach.

A fine idea, but it seems like he miscalculated the weights, or something like that, and when the peasant zombie arrived, he walked over the plates like they were... something easy to walk across. Ishar was prepared, and he crushed the thing's head in with his mace, before dumping it unceremoniously into the ocean, but still. Quite a disappointment for Gar. Ishar, on the other hand? A very accomplished zombie fighter, these days.

Next: More of That Sort of Thing.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 28, 2012, 08:09:19 am »

Oh NO! Why, why didn't it worked?!?!?!? SHITshitSHIT!!!
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 85