Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180587 times)

windlessuser

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort (.34.02!)
« Reply #735 on: February 27, 2012, 03:06:20 pm »

can't wait the see the malevolence that waits for my dorfs XD

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 27, 2012, 04:58:12 pm »

Oh, that reminds me! If you have any ideas on what the new bridge should look like, tell me about them!

SUSPENSION BRIDGE

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 27, 2012, 06:11:46 pm »

If you're up for an architectural challenge, I suggest taking some inspiration from Charles Bridge in Prague. Namely, the statues flanking the bridge, towers along the bridge, etc. For added coolness, you could even build statue gardens jutting out over the main path, or even a tunnel inside the bridge with a bar/meeting hall inside. The towers themselves could serve military purposes.

There's also the option of setting up drawbridges right at the middle of the bridge, to cut off access in the event of an invasion. Just pull a lever and anyone and anything dumb enough to be standing on the drawbridges gets throw into the sea.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 27, 2012, 06:48:51 pm »

You should build the fort suspended in the middle of the bridge.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 27, 2012, 08:48:05 pm »

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished:

I chose an inauspicious time to arrive, I admit. Still, it's a long journey that ends in total disaster, or something like that. That doesn't sound right, but I'm sure you know the saying. The leader, a one "Bayar" is down with an injury, and no doctors can be found. Without her leadership, there's a bit of an argument among the founders about what to do next. I won't interfere. Not my place, of course.

Organized chaos is the word of the day, then. I've taken to wandering the fort, such as it is, and meeting the inhabitants. Get a feel for what's happened in my absence, and so on.

There's Slime. A bit pretentious, this one. Thinks she knows it all when it comes to bridges. Well, I'm a veteran bridge builder myself, so we'll just see about that!

Dimaga De'Balaroc. She tells me that she and her brother (who hasn't arrived) are looking for clues to what happened in Old Oceanbridge, and the Mountainhomes. As am I, as am I.

She's done some digging already, and showed me an... interesting find. I'm not sure where it's from, but I suppose it could be from the old fortress.

And a fellow by the name of Jordal. A swordsman and potash maker. One wonders if he's ever found a use for the latter in his entire life.

As for what's happened in the days since I... well, died, stories vary. The god Rakust has something to do with the hordes of undead, of course. But there's another name I've been hearing, usually in reference to both the dead and old Oceanbridge.

Puzzling.

Next: Building, Building, and Building!

((Anyone who hasn't been dwarfed yet, it's because there aren't any dwarfs appropriate. No vampires at all, as far as I can tell.))

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 28, 2012, 02:36:18 am »

Oh, that reminds me! If you have any ideas on what the new bridge should look like, tell me about them! Right now I'm just making a rock block causeway, and that's sort of boring. Keep in mind that I haven't found any metals yet, though.

You should build the fort suspended in the middle of the bridge.
Exactly!
Combined with pump cleaning system that flushes bodiparts of fallen enemies down the bridge into evil biome.
With sniper posts all along the bridge.
With statues that bring fear into invaders' hearts!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 28, 2012, 03:05:37 am »

So I lost my spleen ? Was it a vital organ (as far as dwarven anatomy is concerned) ?

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 28, 2012, 09:44:32 am »

((Anyone who hasn't been dwarfed yet, it's because there aren't any dwarfs appropriate. No vampires at all, as far as I can tell.))
Vampires are easily detectable: they are fabulous. They usually have several pages worth of jewelery on them. The Mr Ts of the dwarven kingdom.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 28, 2012, 10:59:37 am »

As for what's happened in the days since I... well, died, stories vary. The god Rakust has something to do with the hordes of undead, of course. But there's another name I've been hearing, usually in reference to both the dead and old Oceanbridge.

Puzzling.

The cataclysm was really, well, cataclysmic. The old gods are no more!
However, dwarves do not give up and so do their gods. This one strangely possesses features of both Rakust and Tholtig and, what a coincidence, her name translates as Mob  ;)

Some roleplaying here:
Diary entries of DI-IV:
22nd of Malachite 141
Away, away and across the seas our exodus continues. Away from our ancestor's homes now filled with their shambling corpses, away from accursed goblins, away from tree-hugging cannibals calling themselves elves.
Some say the land of plentifulness and joy lies there, that mountains of pure adamantine await those who can get there. That the place across the sea is a dwarven paradise. Naive daydreamers. I'd sooner believe that dwarven paradise is across the magma sea than on some gods-forgotten island!
But it's known that dead stay dead on the other side and pets do not return to drag their owner into underworld. Good enough for me. I still shudder at the mention of Mr. Dimples. He was a good cat who didn't deserve such fate, I'm still glad my pick was at my hands that day, however.
More our brethren came today, zombie ogres came too. Ogres weren't too healthy for bayar's spleen but who needs that remnant of evolution? (spleen, not bayar) Humans say it is needed to filter alcohol out of blood. But we're dwarves! We'd rather have organ that does opposite!
The folk around here is so keen on leaving that they want to build a fort itself on a bridge. And they say I have a little patience! A fort like that won't be able to sustain itself. Maybe fishers could provide enough food but you can't brew fish. Plants won't grow in the ocean something with the moisture in the air or something and I'm not going to drink ocean water, even desalinated.

P.s. On a second thought, I can't say for sure whether it's possible to farm in sea since last time I've tried it was temperate biome, but such fortress would still require a large shore facilities.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:49:24 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 28, 2012, 02:14:41 pm »

From the Diary of Neo:
Once again, I live. It seems it has been quite a while since my previous death, and the situation with the unrestful dead has only gotten worse. Now, more than just spirits lingering, zombies rise regularly. I think I shall consult with those in the same situation I am, the returned spirits. Maybe they will have some idea what is going on, or at least we will be able to understand the situation better if we put our heads together.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 28, 2012, 07:04:11 pm »

((Nothing is happening.))

Bayar woke to chaos. And to pain. But mostly to chaos. Some dwarfs were running through the hospital (a single bed in the food stockpile) hauling stone blocks, while others were carting barrel after barrel up to the surface. She could hear the shouting through the layers of sand and clay.

Goldhammer, the Minister of Something and Some other thing ran past the bed, a mug in each hand. She called out "Goldhammer!" wincing in pain from the effort.

He stopped. "Bayar! How's the spleen?"

"It's... all right. What's going on out there?"

"It's the one year anniversary celebration! We've been here for a whole year, and no one has died or been hurt! Except you, of course."

"Imagine that..." Bayar muttered. "Er... could you maybe bring me up to speed on what's been happening?"

Goldhammer nodded. "Here, read this. I'm not sure who made it, but it's got all the news. I've got to get these mugs to the surface. Then I've got to drink them." Putting down one of the mugs, he pulled an engraved basalt tablet out of his pocket and dropped it in her lap.

After the agonizing pain started fading again, Bayar read the tablet.

The Oceanbridge Times!

The sound of an ocean wave, crashing on rough carved stone! The lonesome cries of the gulls! The terrified scream of the peasant as the zombie gulls attempt to peck out his eyes! To these familiar sounds, something new has been added: the frustrated groans of the miners and smiths! Yes, every day the report comes: No metal to be found.

As far as this reporter has discovered, blame is shared equally among the miners, and by that I mean that they were all offended and attempted to beat this reporter up for suggesting blame!

Our brave soldiers must soldier on without armor, or weapon, or any means of defense beyond their brave fists! Fortunately for all, this is enough to dispose of our wandering undead.

This reporter has found that every soldier has claimed at least one zombie falcon for their trophy room!

That's the news from Oceanbridge this month! All the news that fits on Granite!

Bayar put the tablet carefully on the floor next to the bed. Her side was still in agony, and now she had a pain in her head... "What in all the gods name did I just read?"

Next: Something?

((Nothing!))

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 28, 2012, 07:16:19 pm »

From the diary of Rushmik

Dear diary,

I punched in a dog's brains the other day, and this time it was already dead. Well, in a manner of speaking. There's some sort of voodoo at work here.

Anyway, it felt a bit like hitting a big, wet sponge. I liked it.

Till next time.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 28, 2012, 11:19:59 pm »

Since we have that anniversary party, let me introduce some machinery that could make us bother less about those zombies.
Look. We need exactly this:

###################################.
.^H===============================^. - Outside
#D#===============================#.
###################################.

- Straight narrow passage that "leads" inside our quarters.
- Pressure plate at outer end
- Crushing bridges all along the passage, linked to outer plate
- One-way plate+hatch combo that prevents citizens from leaving quarters this way
- Door that used to side-step the inner plate in case of mainteinance needs. Plate tile should have restricted area zone.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

landrus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 29, 2012, 02:51:51 am »

Wow, really great story. I read through all of it now and I look forward to the new misery on the shore of Oceanbridge. Varnish, your stories are fun to read! Keep up with it.

If it is altogether possible, could you dwarf me on the next migrant wave?

Thanks in advance :)

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 29, 2012, 02:02:08 pm »

The yearly report on witch craft and arcane arts.

It has been a year since we arrived to this beach and now what I had ample time to asses the situation according to all the proper protocols my report can be carved down for future generations. Although we haven't had an opportunity for a proper witch hunt yet the area around the old bridge (which was totally destroyed) appears to be haunted. The dead know no rest in this accursed place and for a dorf whose job it is recording hauntings, reanimations and crimes against gods it can be a pain in the ass.

Gold hammer, minister of kiln-works and witch-hunting.

P.S. Where are no kilns in this place thank Armok all I need is peasants chasing me and complaining about poor quality clay.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 85