Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180544 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #630 on: January 25, 2012, 09:06:19 pm »

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties, Late Spring 199

I’ve been back for an entire month, and no one has died yet!

...What? I’m taking my success where I can get them, journal.

I caught a glimpse of the mayor, who is... well, a bit off. Everyone here is a bit off. Maybe it’s the fact that I’ve already survived one fortress collapse, but it’s obvious to me that this place is still on the edge of disaster. No one is happy, especially not the workers. Some soapmaker locked himself up in a workshop, and I don’t think anyone else has noticed.

I saw Karakzon, which was even stranger. I'm not surprised that he survived the fall as well, but I'm going to try to avoid him for now. I mean, I did sort of abandon him and the others. (Avoiding him won't be too hard, though, as he was being arrested when I saw him.)

And, just to really rub in the fact that I'm back in Oceanbridge, an army of goblins has arrived at the gate. And when I say "arrived", I mean it looks like they're preparing to fly over it on giant cave birds.

Welcome home, Aban.

Next: Oh Shit, Flying Goblins

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 26, 2012, 11:42:19 am »

Spiderman could handle a good number of them. You should be fine.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 26, 2012, 12:55:35 pm »

The real challenge here is figuring out a way to explain removing the flier tag that fits the theme of the fortress. Assuming we don't have enough crossbows and bone bolts to graze their wings and make them plummet to the Earth, resulting in a warm, feathery jelly all over the bridge of course.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 26, 2012, 02:30:23 pm »

Reincarnate me, please (or maybe have my ghost possess someone else)? I want to keep in the stoneworking careers.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 26, 2012, 05:08:17 pm »

Spiderman could handle a good number of them. You should be fine.

((Despite what the screenshot shows, most of these goblins aren't green. Plus, Spiderman's a whiny boy.))

Reports from the Siege, Part One

Bayar Shotrust’s Report:

Gettin’ the ogres to charge ahead of their goblin masters?

A good idea. Don’t get me wrong there. But if we’re going to use traps, we got to have enough of them. Ogres are big bastards, and if even one gets loose, it’s trouble for everyone.

Ishar’s Report:

Hey, I just learned a new joke! How many dwarfs does it take to kill an ogre?

Give up?

The answer is “all of them, plus a war tiger and a yak or two.”

Yes, I know it’s not that funny. We weren’t laughing when it happened today, either. Tell the engineers I'm tired of almost losing my one working arm.

Siverix’s Report:

The thing jumped right on top of me! Have you ever been jumped on by an ogre? No? How about a giraffe or an elephant? It’s something to try, believe me. Life is full of unusual experiences!

Oh, right. The ogre. Well, I killed it.

Peregar’s Report:

Don't blame me for the trap problems! The real problem is we think too small. I like cage traps of course; they’re elegant and simple, the screw pumps of the trap world. But if we want to break a siege, we need to think big. Now, I’ve got a plan here for a collapsing wall trap that will... here let me use that sheet of paper you’re holding. What we need to do is...

(The rest of the page is covered in a series of scribbled graphs and graphic depictions of goblins smashing into walls)

The Scout’s Report:

Ogres in cages are hilarious! I’ve been poking ‘em with spears. Ain’t so tough now, are ya, fatso!

Mr. Anderson’s Conclusion:

Once again our cages perform admirably. Our soldiers do not. I am tempted to send the lazy, lax fools to fight the rest of the goblins alone as training, but no. They would all perish, resulting only in trouble.

Note to self: Cave swallows can fly, but the goblins will not approach our walls. Why?

The sounds of tremendous violence above hadn't distracted the soapmaker from his work. He emerged a day later, dragging a huge limestone block behind him. Despite all evidence to the contrary, he insisted on calling it a bed.

Next: Siege Part Two, and Some Other Things

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 26, 2012, 09:25:55 pm »

Nothing like dwarven artifacts. A bed covered with stone and gold spikes. Oh so comfortable!

:)
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 29, 2012, 09:49:14 am »

Sounds like my bed.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 29, 2012, 04:34:38 pm »

Everyone should have a bed coated in gold. And spikes.

I haven't given up or died yet. (Yet.) Update soon.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 31, 2012, 06:25:11 am »

Alrighty then!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 01, 2012, 08:42:10 pm »

((This is just what everyone wants after an absence: A post with no pictures! I don't even know. BAH))

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Ambrose Ropenourished:

And the siege continues, my friends. Relentless things, these sieges! Not least because these goblins refuse to attack us. With their steeds, they could simply fly over our walls and wreak incredible havoc, but they refuse to do so. Perhaps they regard it as unsporting.

One brave archer with whom I am not personally acquainted did try to kill a few of them, and was shot full of holes for his troubles.

But there’s another reason I rushed to my office today, my quill pen at the ready. For years, we’ve wondered why Oceanbridge seems to attract just about every hostile army known to exist, and quite a few that were unknown. We may at last have an answer, though how satisfactory it is may depend on the reader.

It began on the first day of summer. Spirits were low, largely due to the low number of spirits in stock. I had been working without much enthusiasm on something or other, when I heard a voice whispering from my room's door.

“Wilberforce!”

Now, living in a fortress filled to bursting with ghosts, poltergeists, and other such things with a knack for possessing one leaves a dwarf a bit cautious about random whispering. Still, it would have been rude not to answer, and I did.

The dwarf who stepped around the corner wasn’t one I recognized, at least not at first.

She introduced herself as Aban Brothertreaties, the founder of this fortress, and if I recall correctly, a cousin of some sort of mine. This was surprising.

At a lack, I asked her how the family was, and she replied that they were all dead, which was a bit of a blow. And what she told me after that made that blow seem like a staid breeze.

To make matters simple, and to avoid the overlong explanations that you my readers, likely dread: She had been back to the Mountainhomes, and found them destroyed. Our dear mad queen is dead, along with most of dwarven civilization, save Oceanbridge and scattered outposts, and other madness induced projects like our own.

The cause of all this she seemed a bit shaky on, but it seemed to involved the god Rakust, and some sort of curse that has left him trapped, as well as all of the other gods, who are upset about this and that. Rakust is the god of death, of course, and it appears that his trapped state has left things in disarray, and the whole pantheon in a "state". You know how gods are. The gist of it is that we need to finish our bridge, and find a way to satisfy the other gods, whatever their deal is. Oh, and find a way to free Rakust.

Well, the bit with Rakust certainly makes sense, when one considers the mess that ghosts have made of this place! There’s a new ghost wandering about these days, one of the various Ishar’s that have lived here. Not ours, of course. She’s still alive and well, so far as I know.

I won't say how much of the rest of her message I believe. These are unusual times, certainly, but not that unusual!

It was quite a lot to take in in one sitting, so I stood.  I explained to Aban that I appreciated the information, and that I’d certainly think about it. But as I’m not the mayor anymore (nor is Mr. Anderson. Some nobody named Zun claimed that title just days ago), I couldn’t do much about it. She left disappointed, I think, with a warning to not let on that I knew she was back here in Oceanbridge. Odd request, and the end of an odd conversation.

It’s now early Autumn, and I’m left with this news on my hands, and no idea of what to do about it. I might tell a few close associates, if nothing else. I do believe her about the homeland. We haven't seen a caravan in all my time here, and our migrants come from other colonies. That at least needs to be known by everyone.

It occurs to me that she also didn’t tell me who destroyed to Mountainhomes...

((HUMBUG.))

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 01, 2012, 10:55:23 pm »

((Meanwhile, though))

Far below Oceanbridge there were miles of tunnels.

Most of them hadn’t been explored, or even glanced at. They were narrow, damp and unpleasant, choked out by bloodthorn plants. There were a few veins of gold ore shining through the black mud and dark red moss on the walls, but any dwarf who tried to reach them risked a fate far worse than death: becoming lost.

The tunnels went on a long way. It was possible they never ended.

If anything lived down there, it was hideous and unnatural. The hungry heads and the crawling eyes had come out of the tunnels. So had Ostrug.

And in the mid-autumn of 199, something else crawled out from the depths under the ocean.

It had been down there for a long time, lost, lonely and hungry. But now Carila felt as though it was being driven toward something. It could smell life, and feel the heat, and hear the breath of hundreds of living creatures.

It was time to feast.

Next: Beasts and Mechanisms, and Why the Two Should Not Mix.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 02, 2012, 12:20:24 am »

Mechanisms will win! Hooray!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 02, 2012, 12:10:32 pm »

((Holy goddamn shit, tapirs are terrifying. Don't believe me? I have prepared a helpful illustration:

There's a lot of death in the next update.

It should be up soonish.))

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 02, 2012, 04:37:56 pm »

I have utter faith in our totally incompetent militia.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 03, 2012, 09:22:37 pm »

((I borrowed the character Croaker for this update. Not sure who's still reading this, so I hope it's ok, and somewhat accurate?))

Carila Attacks, Croaker's Account:

The job of “historian” is an unenviable chore, even in a small place like this one.  A month ago, I was walking through the dining hall when I witnessed a fistfight between a pair of masons. Despite my best efforts, I was unable to ascertain the cause of the fight. I nearly tore up and burned my work then and there. Historians are liars by definition.

This is by way of explaining that my account of the last few days is flawed and incomplete. I wasn’t even there, so all my information is second or third hand. Still, it’s a story full of blood and violence, and will make good “history”, even if it’s completely false.

Kogut II raised the alarm first, though we can’t ask him exactly what happened, as he’s dead now. He and a metalsmith supposedly spotted some enormous creature at the bottom of the magma pumps, knocking over doors and mechanisms and generally wreaking havoc.

They attempted to stop it, and lost their lives in the process.

News of this drifted up somehow. Realizing that we were now facing something a bit more dangerous than another elk bird migration, the new mayor Zun called out the militia. They sallied forth to meet the beast, and, obligingly, it showed itself near the top of the stack, having destroyed half the pumps on his journey.

Roy identified the monster as a Tapir, some sort of tropical mammal normally known for looking goofy as hell. Normal tapir’s don’t have stingers, though, and after it stung the head right off a marksdwarf, the militia were inclined to hold in their laughter.

Di-2, Siverix next tried to kill the beast, only to be swept by its paws down the long pit it had ascended. Armor doesn’t provide much protection against 100+ story falls. I haven't seen their bodies, but I feel safe assuming that they're dead. It then killed another three marksdwarfs, presumably just to show that it could. Ishar managed to bruise its shell.

By this time the militia was broken. Ishar managed to keep her head (I believe this, having spoken with her. That one is as hard as steel.) and led the survivors back to the upper levels. The tapir ambled off, back into the depths. Ishar couldn’t tell me why they weren’t followed. Probably the tapir was busy killing anyone trapped down there. I’m sure that a headcount will reveal a number of missing civilians.

It's down there now, waiting.

Next: Tapir Snacks.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 85