Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180518 times)

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #600 on: January 15, 2012, 09:43:21 pm »

Or maybe just, y'know, stop murdering people when it's finished.  As a celebration.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Mjattie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 15, 2012, 09:59:07 pm »

The Journal of Mr. Anderson

I knew it would get worse. Almost every day more and more people start loosing it. One of them even smashed down my door and attacked me. It's a good thing that tiger was just around the corner...
EDIT: I suggest the Baron's quarters look out into the caverns, with bridges between the windows and the flying building destroyers, so they can be opened in an emergency.
Sorry, I saw you accidentally wrote closed, so I fixed it.

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 16, 2012, 05:32:33 am »

The Journal of Siverix 198, winter

I finally found this damn thing. How long has it been? It doesn't matter all that matters is what I've got work. A little bit too much work one might think but I guess I got what I wanted.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 16, 2012, 04:50:12 pm »

Or maybe just, y'know, stop murdering people when it's finished.  As a celebration.

Huh? I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but the number of dwarfs that I've deliberately killed in this fortress stands at zero. None. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, if so, sorry.
Ahem. anyway.))

Attack of the Ape-Men

Ape-Men, or “dark stranglers” have attacked Oceanbridge numerous times, if one judges by the skeletons that can be found sprouting from the sandy jungle floor in all directions. And unlike some of the other, numerous enemies that Oceanbridge has accumulated in its near ten years of existence, they’ve never had an ounce of success in their attacks. What causes them to come back, year after year? Why waste their lives, if they value them at all, in these vain attacks? I suspect something is driving them, but what?

They attacked shortly after we spotted them. Wilberforce preferred to rely on traps when dealing with the ape-men, and after watching them rush through the gate, to be caught in cages or sliced to shreds by spinning blades, one can’t fault him.

A few survived, and came screaming into the halls of Oceanbridge itself.

But two apes are hardly a match for equipped soldiers, no matter how battered the soldiers are. Derm killed them both, adding a few more notches to his soulchopper.

The rest were dispatched by repeatedly opening and closing the drawbridge, an old trick, but one with great efficacy. It rose and fell to deadly effect, and the ape men went into a blind panic when faced with this. The bridge would fall, and they would rush over it, hooting, only to be launched into sky as it rose again.

They would crash to the ground, flipping over each other and standing, dazed. Then the bridge would fall again and crush them into a paste. It took four or five such attacks to send the remainder fleeing, and thus the siege ended.

Or so we had thought, but the year held one more nasty little present in store for us, like an uncle who only shows up at your birthday at the last minute, drunk beyond belief and with a stained paper sack under his arm, if you follow me...

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished:

Dear Readers, it has been an unusually cold winter, especially for Oceanbridge! This place normally looks at winter and says, “oh, a bit of rain and wind is enough, they’ve got enough problems there.” Which is fine by me, I must say. This winter, though, I once saw a bit of snow, and one had to bundle up with a vest or two on the bridge. It caused some comment.

Now we know why.

Giants! These fellows might take some dealing with. I didn't even know that giants existed, though I suppose there's no reason they shouldn't. At any rate, they aren't here to help us build the bridge, though it would be quite thrilling if they were.

Next: Yup, giants.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:19:57 am by varnish »

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 16, 2012, 05:46:42 pm »

What about the war yak training? Have you given up on that completely? I suspect a few battle-hardened yaks wouldn't help much against giants, but you never know. If anything, they'd look bitchin cool.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 16, 2012, 10:28:16 pm »

No luck on the war yak training. I added the tag "trainable" to the yak, but in game I just get the message no available animal. Maybe I'll remove that benign tag and see if that helps.

If it does, there's still just one yak. Got to get him a mate!

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 17, 2012, 01:05:32 am »

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but the number of dwarfs that I've deliberately killed in this fortress stands at zero
No no, I was talking to the dwarves :p
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 17, 2012, 03:38:34 am »

whatever happened to Gorrothathel? about time we saw some of our artifacts being put to good use!
I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 17, 2012, 08:23:38 am »

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but the number of dwarfs that I've deliberately killed in this fortress stands at zero
No no, I was talking to the dwarves :p

I apologize. This is something I hope happens as well. (Less murders, that is.)

whatever happened to Gorrothathel? about time we saw some of our artifacts being put to good use!

An interesting conundrum. So far as I can tell, artifacts from before the reclaim don't show up on the stocks list, or the artifact list. I've found the one's that were actually built (a dog bone armor stand, an artifact coffin, etc.) but the weapons, crafts, and dwarf bone gauntlets are all missing. Does anyone know of a way to find those, apart from combing every square inch of the map?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 17, 2012, 08:26:22 am »

An interesting conundrum. So far as I can tell, artifacts from before the reclaim don't show up on the stocks list, or the artifact list. I've found the one's that were actually built (a dog bone armor stand, an artifact coffin, etc.) but the weapons, crafts, and dwarf bone gauntlets are all missing. Does anyone know of a way to find those, apart from combing every square inch of the map?
Aren't they appear at stocks screen? You can zoom to item from there
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 17, 2012, 03:15:18 pm »

Unfortunately, artifacts from a previous fort will not act properly at the reclaim, and if you deconstruct any of the artifact buildings, they will disappear also. It is rather unfortunate as they will not be able to be recovered. On a side note, is Neo still corporeal?
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 17, 2012, 07:49:47 pm »

Scout Journal: Man, I have NOT been paying much attention lately. But uh, I need to go beat some heads in.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 18, 2012, 12:05:42 am »

((
Unfortunately, artifacts from a previous fort will not act properly at the reclaim, and if you deconstruct any of the artifact buildings, they will disappear also. It is rather unfortunate as they will not be able to be recovered. On a side note, is Neo still corporeal?

Dang! That is sad. Also, yes, he's still around.))

I Will Not Make a "They Might Be Giants" Joke Here:

Or, Yet Another Siege

Professor Featherlog was thrilled “This is fascinating! Those “giants”, as I'm sure you know, are actually what we naturalists call Jotunar. I didn’t even think they existed! Their coming is said to herald the end of days, you know.”

Wilberforce nodded, on the assumption that that was the safest response. “Is it. Is it. Some sort of prophecy?” He looked out over the battlements. The giants were marching towards the gates. They were huge, but seemed to compensate by moving incredibly slow. It had been a week since they had arrived, and they were just getting within crossbow range.

“Oh no. Just a general sort of end of days thing. Frogs fall from the sky, fish walk on land, the Jotunar march from their icy homes, sort of thing.”

“Well, it will be the end of their days if I have anything to say about it! They’ve never been here before, so I say we give them the old trap introduction. Drop the bridge on anyone who doesn’t want a new home in a cage. Not sure what we’ll do if it starts to rain frogs, but I’m sure I’ll come up with something.”

Professor Featherlog shook her head. “No, no! Wilberforce, that won’t work at all. Legend tells that they’re immune to traps.”

“Awfully specific, these legends.”

"Oh, there's all sorts of stories about them. Some are said to wield fire, others the power of frost. They're the will of the gods, made flesh." Noticing that Wilberforce and some of the others were giving her odd looks, she added "According to legends, of course."

It was at that point that the lead giant spoke, his voice echoing over the plain. “Fall on your knees, accursed dwarfs, for the doom of the gods is upon you!”

Wilberforce cupped his hands over his mouth and shouted “What? Details, my good fellow! What are you here for?”

The giant ignored him. “I, Rime Giant, Noble of the Jotunar, Holy Being among Ants, declare this foul edifice a sin against Rakust. I shall tear it down, piece by piece, until not one stone remains. All shall be dust! Like specks of filth purest glass are you, and like specks shall you be wiped away! Know that doom is...”

The giant carried on for a while, all the while slowly striding toward the fortress. The others seemed to be hanging back. “All right, new plan.” Wilberforce said. “Let him get over the gate, then we close it, and kill him. I’m sure we can handle one giant.”

It was a reasonable plan. The only trouble came when the militia was summoned; most of them turned out to be at a party honoring the fact that they were having  a party. Only Roy made it to the surface in time.

The leader of the giants, still describing what he planned to do to Oceanbridge, crossed over the gate, and it closed behind him.

He didn’t seem to notice. “Come, puny dwarfs! Come and face your doom! Ice shall find you, and ice grind you to a- Oh, Rakust’s Balls!” A crossbow bolt, hardly larger than a pin compared to the giant, hit him in the leg while he shouted.

Roy and her tiger had arrived at the gate, and she fired as soon as she could. Unfortunately, that meant she was busy reloading the crossbow, while the infuriated, and now speechless giant charged. Her war tiger saved her again, leaping at the giant, claws bared.

It was an impressive sight, or would have been, except the Rime Giant easily slapped the tiger aside with the flat of his sword. Another slow swing knocked Roy from her feet, bruised and shaken but unhurt. From the ground, Roy could see that her tiger was badly hurt, and in no shape to move. The giant began to slowly bring his sword around for the killing blow.

Roy did the first thing she could think to do, which for some reason meant she jumped onto the Rime Giant’s tree trunk sized ankle and started punching and scratching, biting and kicking. She expected to distract it for a minute, maybe, and somehow buy time for her tiger, and for help to arrive.

She did not expect to tear a piece of the giant's ankle off in her hands like it was paper. She fell to the ground with about a yard of skin gripped in her fists. Several barrels worth of blood followed her.

The Rime Giant blinked, looked down to see that a chunk of its foot was missing, and then, with very little fuss, collapsed. A cage trap snapped under the weight, imprisoning the huge figure, somehow.

The rest of the militia arrived shortly after. The Scout was first on the scene, and he saw Roy with her “prize”. “Damn! You showed him “

Roy dropped the skin piece, and tried to shake some of the blood out of her ears. “I... Yes, I think I did.”

The giant army were plainly puzzled by their leader's fate. Eventually they began wandering off, a few of them shaking their fists in the direction of the fort. The Scout waved back “Looks like the rest of them are running away! Scared off! ’S a good message to take back to their bosses. Attack Oceanbridge, and we’ll tear you apart with our bare hands, because we are goddamn crazy in here!”

Next: Poltergeists and Possessions

((Note: Yes, Roy just broke that siege singlehanded, and barehanded. It was crazy.))

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 18, 2012, 09:43:36 am »

Awesome. :)

But how's the tiger looking? Pets get healed like dwarves right? I seem to remember them having jobs assigned them in the hospital when I last played.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 18, 2012, 10:04:10 am »

Holy carp. Roy is badass!

What about map, btw? Amd magma?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 85