Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 176890 times)

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #390 on: December 04, 2011, 04:12:12 am »

So was my request missed or did you just not get any professional heroes potash makers

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 04, 2011, 09:40:26 am »

request redorfing: Di-2, military dwarf, and get him\her that artifact gauntlet please.
And by the way, wells would force dwarves to drink even salty water, did you have any? As for desalinization, Sphalerite had conducted research recently and concluded that saltines is tile attribute much like aboveground. Probably everything below aquifer was marked salty on reclaim, should underground desalinizator fail, try building one on levels above ocean.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:46:21 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 04, 2011, 12:09:35 pm »

I request a mandate of a bedroom made of gold.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 04, 2011, 09:13:30 pm »

All caught up, and quite enjoying the read so far.

Dwarf me when you please: Roy the Animal Caretaker(Trapper might work as well)
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 05, 2011, 11:44:34 am »

((Short one now, big update later))

Spring in Oceanbridge: Ghosts, Monsters, and Other Fun Things

Mosus, a glazer had been enjoying a quiet drink in the dining room (there wasn’t much glazing work needed) when she heard what sounded like a child’s voice.

Looking around, she saw that she was still alone. There weren’t any children in the fort anyways, she thought. Just her imagination.

Then she heard the voice, right beside her ear. One soft whispered word: “Die.”

Some sort of force hit her hard in the back of the leg, snapping the bone like dry wood. She blacked out, but before she did, she thought she heard a child laughing.

As she recovered in the hospital, Remalle and Balnash combed the surface for remains. They had buried well over twenty since they had come back, and it looked as thought that would just be the start.

Life went on. The soldiers, led by the Scout and G, kept themselves busy by fighting the various creatures that crawled up from the underground. Flying severed heads, fish-frog-men, walking birds, crundles... all in a day’s work. One nightmarish day’s work.

Di-2, a new soldier, proved her mettle by killing two of the flying heads with an iron sword. Remalle carved a nice engraving in her honor. Wilberforce was beginning to seriously question the practice of allowing people to name themselves.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Water levels had receded to the point that the old magma forges were visible.

The old magma pumps, unfortunately, had been blocked up by obsidian. Peregar and Alkhemia had plenty more work ahead of them.

Next: Blood, Violence, and a Seance

All caught up, and quite enjoying the read so far.

Dwarf me when you please: Roy the Animal Caretaker(Trapper might work as well)

((Thanks! Also, you have my sympathy.))

So was my request missed or did you just not get any professional heroes potash makers

((No potash makers, heroic or otherwise. Plenty of soap makers, though))

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 05, 2011, 02:19:45 pm »

i'll take one then

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 05, 2011, 02:46:38 pm »

Are all dwarven women bald headed?  :o
Good writing.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 05, 2011, 06:10:09 pm »

From the journal of Dr. KillPatient, Malpractitioner
  I have recently obtained a certified degree in malpractice of the most depraved order, and so was sent away from the mountainhome "for the safety of the patients." In reality, it was probably a result of the other doctors' envy... Bah! Spineless cowards can't stand the sight of a few gallons of blood, so they lobby the council to send me off! Ah well, perhaps now I can hone my medical skills without the Captain of the Guard breathing down my neck like he was at the mountainhome. The cocky bastard told me that my record 98% patient mortality rate was too high!
  Anyway, it's apparently come as a shock to the fortress's inhabitants that a doctor might occasionally decide to perform his medical training in such a sporadic and fast-paced manner as I do-- as if the children are going to miss a cat or two! Besides, what do they plan to do here to keep their own medical skills in check?! It figures they don't have any decent doctors here. In fact, my fellow dwarves hardly seem sane at all! They continuously refer to me as a "soldier", or a "hammerdwarf" or something like that.
  Ah, I suppose I can bear it for the good of Oceanbridge. The folks here took me in so kindly, after all.

(( I suppose that explains me being in the military. I'm completely insane and actually think I'm performing potentially life-saving operations by beating the "patient" repeatedly with a hammer. Apparently I make a great soldier because of it, and the other dwarves play along with my delusion as a result. As for Colonel Kurtz, perhaps he was a soldier, but became a doctor after he took an arrow to the knee. ))

By the way, two requests if you don't mind: Could you give my dwarf the custom profession name of "Malpractitioner", as well as post his personality/items/skills pages?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 05, 2011, 06:16:06 pm »

((Largish update! Few Pictures! Mostly Text! Thrills!))

Kogut II was looking worried when he said, “Ishar hasn’t shown up for dinner. I should check on her, she cooked the whole meal, you’d think she would want to taste it.”

It wasn’t a comment that garnered much interest at the time. Ishar did what she liked, usually.

Once again, it was screams that brought people running down to the bedroom level. G and the Scout got there first, to find Kogut standing in the open door to his room, staring. They joined him a moment later.

The others arrived just after, so there were a few gentle hands there to lead Kogut away to somewhere... safer.

The Scout was still staring “Y’know, it’s... impressive, in a horrible sort of way.”

“You mean how something tore off her arm and used it to paint LEAVE LEAVE NOW all over the walls, in her blood?”

“Yes, that.”

The ghost problem had clearly grown too severe to be ignored. Wilberforce decided that they would attempt the only reasonable thing, under the circumstances: They would hold a séance.

“A séance?” Remalle asked, when Wilberforce brought it up.

“Precisely, Remalle. These ghosts are trying to communicate with us, though I can’t say that I care for their methods at all. If we could get them to talk to us, calmly and like gentlemen, I’m sure we could sort out whatever it is that’s bothering them. I wanted you to lead it, as you’re the one who knew them, and so on.”

“I guess we could try it?”

“Splendid! We’ll all gather in the dining hall, as that seems to be their favorite “haunt”, as it were, and we’ll get this problem settled in no time at all.”

If you had to hold a séance, the dining hall was the place to do it, Remalle admitted. It had been a sinister place even before they had started storing coffins in by the statues, and if you knew some of the things that had happened there...

Wilberforce had placed a large, dripping dog tallow candle in the middle of the room, where it was coating one of Aussie Evil’s more disturbing works with wax. The smoke it gave off was foul smelling and thick, which, again, really helped with the mood. Around that was a ring of chairs.

“Everyone here who can be?” There were nods and other assents from Balnash, Remalle, Kogut II, Derm and Bayar. “Good, then I suppose we can get started. You know, I did this kind of thing when I was a boy sometimes. Never had much success, but then, we weren’t being terrorized by a host of murderous spirits in those days.”

“Is that important, sir? At all?”

“No, probably not. Remalle, lead the way. We are in your capable hands.”

Remalle did so, though he only had a vague idea what he was doing. Still, the ghosts should be easy enough to summon. They had already given ample evidence of their existance. He tried a general sort of slightly irritated summoning thing, along the lines of “well, we’re here. Say what you’ve got to say, asshole.” He mentioned Zulban’s name several times (Why were all the violent woodworkers named Zulban, anyway?)

This went on a while, and so they were all taken a little bit by surprise when the smoke from the candle began to twist in the air, making rings and wreaths, moving with an eerie purposefulness.

Eventually a word could be made out among the ethereal shapes. One word.

“HATE”

Wilberforce tilted his head, and then broke the rather stunned silence. “Hm. Passionate, but not exactly helpful.”

The smoke coalesced into another word as he was speaking. “PAIN”

“Monosyllables, again. Could we get more details?”

The smoke began to change color, turning red then black, then red again. “TRAPPED

“See, that could mean any number of things! Is it us that are trapped, or you, or your pet pig Rocknose?”

This did not seem to sit well with the presence. “NIGHTMARE. DEATH. TRAPPED. ALWAYS TRAPPED. TRAPPED!”

Remalle stared at the words. There was something extraordinarily angry there, and if he was right about the way things felt, it was about to lose control.

The smoke started to curl and distort, as if being caught be a breeze, then without warning it whipped around the room with the speed of a whirlwind, knocking over chairs and throwing most of them from their feet. Briefly, Remalle saw the words “DAMNED ALL DAMNED ALL DAMNED ALL DAMNED”. The candle flame grew long, changing color as it did, then went out.

Then there was silence.

Balnash got up off the ground, and re-lit some of the torches that had been blown out by the wind. The others also got to their feet, some shaken, others annoyed. A nervous conversation followed.

“Waste of time, that was,” Balnash muttered.

“We did learn that something is trapped, I suppose.”

“And what do we do about that? Nothin’ that I can see.”

“You’d think ghosts would be better at talking,” Wilberforce said to Derm. “They always are in stories. ‘The treasure is hidden in the forge pit, behind the secret door that you open by pulling on the special brick', 'avenge my death', and so on.”

Derm shrugged, and said nothing. He seldom spoke.

They left the room in a large group, conscious of the feeling that something was watching them. That was the problem. Something almost certainly was.

Next: Strange Moods Abound, and a Boat Trip Begins.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 05, 2011, 06:18:55 pm »

By the way, two requests if you don't mind: Could you give my dwarf the custom profession name of "Malpractitioner", as well as post his personality/items/skills pages?

I'll do so as soon as I can. Very nice character post, by the way. Insanity is always welcome in a fort like this!

Or at least it's always common. Either way!))

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 05, 2011, 06:56:33 pm »

<outofcharacter>
Oh, I am mentioned. Nice. But why this forth have so many violent ghosts? For story purposes, due to slab shortage or maybe infamous unslabable ghost bug?
</outofcharacter>
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 05, 2011, 08:32:57 pm »

Say, your earlier log said I had a steel warhammer. I suppose the rest of the hammerdwarves do as well. As far as I know, steel makes a poor material for warhammers because it's fairly light. Silver would be much better for your hammerdwarves if you've got any to spare.

Also, (dwarven) me! Modified The Doctor's sprite from Cave Story a little bit to get this.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:40:42 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 05, 2011, 11:00:22 pm »

<outofcharacter>
Oh, I am mentioned. Nice. But why this forth have so many violent ghosts? For story purposes, due to slab shortage or maybe infamous unslabable ghost bug?
</outofcharacter>

They keep appearing, and I probably don't notice them because I honestly don't look at the people list too often. I see a notice of someone getting battered; "oh, a violent ghost!" No problems with slabs yet, but the sheer number of dead dwarfs is so high... Anyway, at the moment in the fort there are three moaning spirits, two violent ghosts, and one peaceful ghost. And a partridge in a pear tree.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 06, 2011, 02:11:37 am »

From the Journals of Neo,
   So there I lay, unable to move after that violent ghost had battered my body and robbed me of the ability to walk. It was kind of liberating actually, and the thought of freedom and the afterlife was comforting. Imagine my surprise then, when I found myself the same as my killer, a bodiless phantom. This place had bound me to its halls as surely as it had bound the others, but somehow, I found myself far more coherent than they were. My efforts to communicate with the other bodiless ones ended in failure as well, as they seemed unable to think much beyond their most base emotions. I began to wonder, when enough time had passed, would I too suffer the same fate, and eventual insanity? I resolved to avoid this. I repeatedly attempted to possess another, but found that I was never able to prevail, their wills were too strong, and my memories of their friendship too fresh. But, finally, a migrant wave arrived, with a remarkable weak-willed member. He had been dragged here, and had no real wish to come, so I made him a deal. I would trade places with him, and he would be free to go on, while I continued my duties. As we switched places, to my surprise, he immediately faded away, leaving no shade or spirit. The forces that bind me to this place seemed to have no effect on him, though they compel me to remain until my task is complete. Alas that I do not even know what my task is.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:13:11 am by neo1096 »
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 06, 2011, 07:49:51 am »

builind a bridge is your task offcourse
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 85