Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180452 times)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #345 on: November 26, 2011, 08:37:26 am »

Dwarf me again as Alkhemia please
To bad about the madness though, Alkhemia got a kill so that cool.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed!
« Reply #346 on: November 26, 2011, 10:18:19 am »

((Here we go))

Granite 1st, 196:

Oceanbridge had been abandoned, but not forgotten. Scavengers, both human and goblin and more had found the pickings quite rich.

“Would you look at this place? I told you, it’s like a gold mine. Probably was a gold mine, if I remember these little bastards right.”

“Yeah, a gold mine, if you ignore that the goblins already stole everything not tied down, and wrecked everything else.”

“Shut your damn mouth Jirdo, and help me load these mugs onto the donkey. We’ll eat damn well this month, see that?” The head scavenger pointed to the pile of mostly intact mugs he’d found on the shore. “That there is some damn fine marble work. Masterwork quality, even.  Worth a fortune and a half.”

The other scavenger shrugged. He knew that he didn’t have Oxul’s eye for stonecrafting. And at least mugs didn’t weigh as much as those mechanisms he’d had to haul back before.

The pair had almost finished loading their donkey with mugs, stone dolls, and other bits of trash when they heard the sound. It was faint, coming from some distance down the beach, but it almost sounded like singing.

What they saw was unexpected. Seven dwarfs were marching alongside an overloaded wagon. And yes, they were singing, though with varying degrees of enthusiasm. They stopped by one of the old walls, and Jirdo could see that they been spotted.

The one who looked like the lead dwarf came jogging down the beach, skipping over the various piles of trash and corpses in his path. Arriving, he bowed low, and said “Good morning to you, good humans! Wilberforce Ropenourished at your service! I hate to be a bother, but you two fellows are the first living things we’ve run into since setting foot on this accursed little island. Could you point the way to the Fortress of Oceanbridge?”

Oxul finally managed to speak. “What the hell are you talking about, dwarf? This is Oceanbridge, least that’s what I’ve heard it called. It’s damn well dead. There ain’t no one left here!”

“Really!” the dwarf called Wilberforce said, looking surprised. “Is it really.” He looked at the ruin that surrounded him.

“I certainly think they let things get lax around here. Well, that means we get down to work.” He turned away, while saying “Thank you fellows, though, for starting to clean up for us. Just drop those crafts you have so helpfully loaded onto your donkey in the fort please.” He smiled quickly at them before walking back over the beach to his companions.

Jirdo growled and started to reach for his weapon, but Oxul stopped him. The other dwarfs were still at the wagon, but they were watching the two scavengers carefully, and almost all of them were armed. "Just do what the man says, Jirdo. Damn it."

Oceanbridge had been reclaimed by its rightful owners.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next: A Violent Welcome, and Introductions Galore.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 26, 2011, 10:21:00 am »

The soulchopper (will) rise again!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 26, 2011, 11:14:26 am »

The Madness fell first on Kogut, a harmless metalsmith. He went into a deep melancholy, and could not be awakened from it, not for hunger or thirst.

Requesting double redwarfing, as first male migrant (Kogut II) with child (Kogut III). And - is it possible to make him cook or metalsmith?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 26, 2011, 01:53:01 pm »

Exploration Begins:

“Tell all, Peregar. Tell me of the state you find our new home in.”

Peregar was feeling unsettled. “It’s a mess, Wilberforce. Half the place is flooded,

and it’s been looted pretty thoroughly. There are a bunch of goblins about-“

“Goblins! All of this is their fault, no doubt. We’ll have to slay them all, of course. More work.”

“Not exactly. They seem... friendly. One of them told me that-“

“You’ve been speaking to them?”

“Yes. They say that they were caged up, and some sort of earthquake set them free. They seem pretty friendly. One of them gave me a piece of clear glass.”4

Wilberforce shuddered. “Sinister. Dark things are afoot here, Peregar. Be on your guard.”

Peregar wondered if he should have mentioned the ethereal baby he had spotted crawling around the halls, but decided against it.

Meanwhile, Neo had busied himself exploring the defenses of Oceanbridge. They were, adequate, if barely. He could see a dozen places where they could be improved. He tried to ignore the goblins who were watching him, and who would give him a friendly wave whenever he glanced their way.

He was caught off guard, then when a mud, blood and pus encrusted... thing jumped out of the bushes and knocked him to the ground.  The beast was roaring unintelligebly, and reaching for his throat, and in shock he realized that it was another dwarf.

He fought to reach his sword, but the terrifying thing was so heavy that he could hardly move.

Then it went limp, and slumped to the side. Neo looked up, and saw the face of a goblin. It gave another little wave, and wandered off.

Neo got to his feet. What in all the gods names was wrong with this place? Friendly goblins, berserk dwarfs... Something had gone wrong here. Deeply wrong.

From The Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished, Granite 196
:

Dear readers, take note. I write this, at long last, from my new home, the Fortress of Oceanbridge. Difficult as it is to believe that it took my companions and I a year and a half to reach this place, the state we have found it in is even more unbelievable. Ruin; ruin and desolation! I don’t know what fate my cousin Aban met here, but it seems that we arrive not as migrants, but as rescuers. But do any remain to be rescued?

After the morning plump helmets and egg, we met together in a muddy hall that may once have been used for meetings. Peregar reports that much of the lower levels are flooded, but that he has found masterfully made engravings that may tell us something of what happened here.

G, Neo, and the Scout are combing the halls for anything hostile, but have come up empty handed. Good news, that. Alkhemia though, looked worried as I spoke with her. Apparently the berserk survivor may  have been a relation of hers.

Nevertheless, dear readers, take note. We may find ourselves in drastically reduced circumstances, but hardship makes for men of iron, as the poet once said. Or something of that nature. We shall make this our home, and dashed be those that try to stop us.

((Interesting. Not only was Alkhemia #1 still alive, but apparently berserk dwarfs remain on reclaim, and are still enemies? Disturbing.))

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 26, 2011, 02:46:08 pm »

I'd like to be redwarfed, please, preferably as close to the original as possible.  Just say I recovered from my injuries in an off-site hospital, or something.  Thanks for the great read (again), Varnish!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 26, 2011, 03:31:09 pm »

Whoa! It becomes epic from the very begining!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 26, 2011, 04:00:51 pm »

Journal of Scout:

We've arrived at Oceanbridge, and we gotta whole lot of crap goin' on already. The engravings are of dwarves bein' mangled by monsters. Theres a big flood, alot of trash on the ground and feral dwarves lurkin'. Not that im afraid of them. No way pal! Just gotta get a weapon and start caving in some skulls so that it'll teach those other idiots not to mess with Oceanbridge.

We brought too much useless crap along with us. Theres corpses and bones everywhere and we gotta just chuck them in a pile outside. I think I saw a few spirits about too.. might have to bury them instead. But I still think we outta throw em in a pile. After we settle in, clean up the place and recover some treasures I think im going to ask for that bridge to be finished. And get me the strongest hammer I can get my hands on. Maybe add a few statues on the bridge of myself doin' heroic deeds. Immortalized forever.

I think I saw an arena here. I gotta admit, these guys built a helluva a place if it weren't all broken and bashed up. I heard rumors that there was a few artifacts laying about, and I hope that they aren't damaged too much. But anyways, I need to ask our "great and wonderful leader" in the words of a suck-up, to quickly see to our defenses.

Also, this is to remind me to waste that feral dwarf later.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:03:07 pm by Masked_Hunter1825 »

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 26, 2011, 04:27:52 pm »

-requesting redorfing at appropriet time.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 26, 2011, 06:35:57 pm »

Also requesting redwarfing as my brother. Just give me a mace and let me frolic on the battlefield. Possibly even making the occasional carnage angel after a battle.

IcepickTrotsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 26, 2011, 08:32:22 pm »

I find it awesome that my dorf survived this one, but I've already had two die in Hellcannon. Though I guess, given the nature of that fort, I shouldn't be all that surprised. Request redwarfing (on the same character) at the first available opportunity.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 27, 2011, 11:41:01 am »

Reclaim update 3, GOOO!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 27, 2011, 01:22:37 pm »

((Righto. Dull part of the reclaim right now, though))

Rebuilding Oceanbridge

Goblins and maniacal dwarfs were all very interesting, but after the thrill of discovery began to wear off, Wilberforce and the others realized just how tremendous the task that lay ahead of them was. Tremendous, and dull.

Wilberforce quickly ruled out “cleaning up”. Take what they need, bury the poor devils that needed burying, and get to work making the old fort livable, he thought. Leave the approximately ten thousand pig tail left gloves for the scavengers.

Making the fort livable wasn’t going to be easy. G came back from his exploration of the depths white faced and shaken. The ghostly baby (which itself caused problems by wailing all through the night) wasn’t the only ghost around. Fortunately, the things seemed content to wander through walls and moan. They did not seem disposed to answering questions, even when the Scout shouted various obscenities at it.

Flood waters were everywhere, and when they receded they uncovered strange, nightmarish carvings, all apparently the work of one dwarf. One seriously disturbed dwarf.

At the urging of the Scout, Wilberforce and the others started gathering the scattered rock blocks that were, in all likelihood, meant for the bridge. Another monumental task that would need doing.

It was out on the bridge that G saw the creature. He'd been watching the strange fish called marlin (they looked like they would make good eating) when he noticed was an odd wake in the water, far below. Then a shadow appeared, and then, it surfaced.

He stared, and to his horror, the thing stared right back. Turning away, G then ran back toward the fortress as fast as he could. This wasn’t something he could handle alone.

He couldn't help but notice that the monster followed him.

Next: Summer is for Migrants! And Hideous Death Monsters.

((I've noted down all the dwarfings are redwarfings, and will work in as many as I can, next update. Let me know which ones I miss.))

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 27, 2011, 04:09:27 pm »

I'd like to be redwarfed, too. Something like the new guy finding a record, or enraving (if there is something about mine), and deciding to take up his name and weapon.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 27, 2011, 10:08:18 pm »

Summer, 196:

The monster hadn’t attacked yet, by the time G made it back. In fact, it acted like it had no interest in attacking at all.

“What in Steddad’s good name is that thing?” Neo shouted.

“Well, going by outward appearance, It looks like a quadruped, which I believe means four legged animal, or something.” Wilberforce said. He was leaning over the edge of the bridge, watching the monster with every sign of interest “Shaped a bit like one of those long necked things that seem to love this island so. Why it’s made out of ash glaze, I couldn’t say.”

Neo looked annoyed. “I can see that. What I mean is, why the hell is it here? And not in the hell it was spawned from?”

“That, my friend, I cannot answer. I’d be willing to put money down on that little fellow being one of the reasons we found this place in the state it is, though. I say, it really does seem to enjoy the waves, doesn’t it? Look at him, he’s almost frolicking down there.”

“I hope it doesn’t frolic its way up here, is all.”

“Same here.” Wilberforce watched the creature leap along a particularly large wave, then shrugged. “Nothing for it but to watch and wait, I think. I hope that our goblin friends will give us a shout should it make shore. Completely unreal as goblin friends are, of course." He shook his head. "This place baffles me."

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished:

Good news springs from unexpected quarters! I think there’s a saying like that. However you say it, today we rest comfortably in the knowledge that we are not alone here.

A group of three other refugees found our new home, their leader telling me they were guided here by a trail of wreckage and abandoned socks. We welcomed them with open arms, of course.

The three of them are soldiers, which benefits us quite a bit. The one fellow picked up an axe like it was made for him, in fact. I've seen that look in a man's eyes, before, but usually it involved love or exceptional ale

Unfortunately, they too could offer us little in the way of clues as to what happened here, or what occurs in the Mountainhomes. As I said, they too are refugees, fleeing from Atir knows where. One of them, poor fellow, came here in hopes of finding his brother. I had the sad task of informing him that his brother had likely perished, along with my cousin, and I am beginning to admit, everyone else who lived here.

Sad to think on, but we are dwarfs, and even more than that, I am a Ropenourished! We soldier on. Even in such unnatural surroundings as these.

Early Autumn, 196:

Peregar had found something odd in his exploration of the deeper levels. A single basalt door, boarded up and reinforced with steel bars. After some hard work with a pick and a crowbar, he managed to get the door open, only to see a solidly built stone wall behind it.

“What have we got here”, he muttered. He’d heard a few rumours during the trip to Oceanbridge about artifacts. They hadn’t found a single one so far. Maybe this was the vault where they were kept!

What he found was a head high wall of water that nearly swept him down the stairs, into the unknown deeps. He barely survived the deluge, holding as hard as could to the roughly carved wall.

The room was empty, except for a few scattered gold nuggets, a barrel or two, and piled in a corner, more skeletons.

Many of the surprises in Oceanbridge were unpleasant.

Next: The Fighting Goblins of Oceanbridge
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 85