Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180497 times)

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #285 on: November 15, 2011, 06:11:33 am »

A beautiful artifact! Very good! Very, very good!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 15, 2011, 03:31:14 pm »

So, I'm struggling to write an update that adequately conveys what is going on in the fortress right now. The most accurate version would probably simply read:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!

More later.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 15, 2011, 07:32:44 pm »

((well, here's nothing much.))

The Mayor of Oceanbridge Meets with the Manager

“Aban, hello! So good to see you, especially following the unpleasantness during the siege. And let me just say that you handled yourself splendidly during that incident.”

“Ah! Yes? I mean, what? Yes?”

Lokum sat down in the chair opposite hers, turning his smile on her and saying “Now! About these orders I gave you some time ago. I did ask, quite politely, for those statues and carvings to be destroyed, and from what I can see, this has yet to happen. Now, I know that you are terribly busy, and of course I have no wish to impose on your time, but I had hoped that you could see your way clear to carrying those orders out?”

Aban shuffled some papers around in an attempt to look puzzled. “Well, I know I got some orders from you, but you know, with the siege...” She shrugged. “I mean, I couldn’t even get to my office for a while. They might have been lost or destroyed or something. You could send them again...”

Lokum’s smile remained, but it froze on his face “Oh, Aban. I wasn’t asking you to look for the memos. I am telling you to carry out my orders, right now. I should not like to have my two assoc iates, ah there they are. Wonderful fellows, just like you. I should not like to have to ask them to convince you of the necessity of these orders. So be a dear, and go do it, please.”

He and his two compatriots left the room, leaving Aban fuming. “Be a dear!” she muttered. Next time he said something like that, she was going to... well, she was going to be annoyed, that's all.

A Battle of Five Armies, Part One
:

Derm had come to surface in order to protect the woodcutters. There was no way he was going to use his new axe on something so mundane as chopping down trees himself, of course, but if any goblins popped up...

So he was up there, almost completely alone, when the ape men arrived. Alone, and with no safe path back to the fortress.

But he was Derm, the Soulchopper. No mob of hooting three eyed apes was going to make him run, not now. Not even if they were, he saw, all riding alligators, while capering.

No, he thought. There's no way I'm going to run away from an enemy that's that fucking ridiculous.

He took one last deep breath, and then ran at the enemy, The Disemboweled Ring held high in his hands.

Two of the ape men fell immediately, along with their mounts. Coated in blood and gore, Derm turned on the survivors.

And found that they had surrounded him. The capering wasn't just for show, the things moved damn fast. Derm had no time to recover. One alligator clawed at his leg, while another swept its tail under his feet, and then, hooting, the ape men jumped on him, their dark clawed hands ripping and tearing.

Meanwhile, Heavy Weapons Guy stood, alone himself, firing bolt after bolt into the massed alligators. It didn’t seem to bother them much. They ignored him, to his fury, and chased after the poor civilians.

Ishar was cut off from both of them by the lower wall. She managed to get off one shot, wounding an alligator, before she and the farmer she was trying to protect were swarmed and ripped apart.

Fifteen dwarfs had been on the surface when the attack began. Five made it back into the fortress safely.

Aban had been watching the battle from the ramparts, increasingly horrified as she saw what happened. That meant she was in an ideal position to see the ferric elfs as they came around the coast.

Unlike the ape men, they were marching in good order; some of them were riding war giraffes like their leader before, others rode elephants, leopards, and even giant eagles. And there were a hell of a lot of them.

"Dear gods..." She ran back down to the main hall. Forgetting for the moment that she wasn't the expedition leader, she yelled "Get the trap corridor open, and get everything else closed! Hurry, because we're probably all about to die!"

Next: Floods, Despair, and a Little Thing Called a Tantrum Spiral

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 15, 2011, 07:36:25 pm »

They didn't have weapons and I had steel/adamantine armor?

um... Was I even fully equipped?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 16, 2011, 12:41:35 am »

They didn't have weapons and I had steel/adamantine armor?

um... Was I even fully equipped?

... Yeah, that one was my fault. I had thought that I had him equipped with steel greaves, but they weren't there. I screwed that up somewhere. If you want a new dwarf, feel free to ask. Though the fortress will have to survive this siege first, probably...

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 16, 2011, 12:52:19 am »

ITS TEAM TIME, DOCTOR!

Also, maybe we can use the capra demons against them?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:01:05 am by Masked_Hunter1825 »

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 16, 2011, 01:20:52 am »

A Battle of Five Armies, Part Two

Gar had it this time. The elfs had been drawn into the trap corridor. Aban had managed to get all the floodgates closed in time, so the bastards were trapped.

All they needed now was someone to fire up the pumps and flood the corridor, and the worthless little invaders would drown. And Gar? Gar would be called a hero, just as he damn well deserved to be called.

If only his assistants weren’t such damn cowards.

Hamlet had never been busier. She wasn’t fond of beating people, but Rakust be damned if they weren’t lining up for the privilege.  Even the mayor had “lost his temper”, as they liked to say. Well, rank didn’t exempt you from justice. He’d get his turn, just like everyone else.

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties:

I don’t know what anyone wants from me. I’m staying in my office until this whole thing blows over. If it ever does. Oh dear lord it might not ever... This really is a nightmare, isn't it?

((OOC section))

ITS TEAM TIME, DOCTOR!

Also, maybe we can use the capra demons against them?

((I have no idea. Maybe?

Also also, as a side note. If you are interested in my first attempt at a fortress of this type, you may find it here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33299.0

I wish I could say that I had gained in competence since those days, but no. Foolishness is the one thing I got going for me.))

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 16, 2011, 12:55:29 pm »

Oooh... why didn't I powered it with windmill???
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

IcepickTrotsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 17, 2011, 04:58:11 am »

This is out of character... but I've been reading all the epic threads on this forum, and it seems like Derm is in every one... and this is the first one I've read where he dies. I'm frightened.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 17, 2011, 05:06:40 am »

Im not. Because Heavy Weapons guy is here.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 17, 2011, 08:45:34 am »

This is out of character... but I've been reading all the epic threads on this forum, and it seems like Derm is in every one...
Yup, with some dedication he could get the same position in Community Games board as Necro on general or Footkerchief on suggestion boards.
and this is the first one I've read where he dies. I'm frightened.
Actually, I was surprised it took so long for someone named to die. Seems varnish overseeing isn't that bad. ;)
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 17, 2011, 09:02:31 am »

It was only because I was improperly armored, really.

And yes, give me another. I SHALL BECOME RENOWNED IN COMMUNITY GAMES! NOT SUCCESSION BECAUSE I HAVEN'T ACTUALLY PLAYED DF FOR ABOUT 5 MONTHS NOW.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 17, 2011, 02:25:05 pm »

lol :)

its nice to get your name into a story with a characteristic persona.

I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 17, 2011, 03:45:01 pm »

There's been no update lately because I've spent the last couple days shoveling snow. I might have done other things, but shoveling snow is all that I can remember.

Hopefully back soon, with a new (and well armored, damn it) dwarf for Derm.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 17, 2011, 03:46:51 pm »

Make it so his restless spirit possesses another dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 85