Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180516 times)

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2011, 04:43:59 am »

Yes, but limestone.  Everyone knows what limestone's for.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2011, 04:45:32 am »

Obviously, I'm not one of the "Everyone" you're referring to. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2011, 09:10:19 am »

Can i be dwarf as Nerev, a mechanic?
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2011, 11:45:35 am »

This is a masterfully crafted Limestone adult Toy hand made to size.
*ahem*
being your minning co-worker, ide probably have to get you pissed drunk like a monkey with me wile we search for the elusive coal of yonder.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2011, 12:47:39 pm »

Damn, you've reminded me of another my unfinished project: I was trying to make torpedo apparatus out balista so I could shoot at large schools of tuna that were ruining my fps. Sadly, fps death was faster, I'll post plans later.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2011, 02:16:39 pm »

Summer - Autumn

Karakzon’s discovery of the caverns had some unexpected results. First, cave moss proved to be an extremely aggressive invasive species, turning the clean white sand halls of Oceanbridge into a mess of plants and the occasional towercap sapling. Several dwarfs, Aban included woke to find themselves covered in strands of the pale blue stuff. It took the talents of Zuntir Basementnotch, Animal Trainer Extraordinaire, to control the infestation. Tamed horses were let loose in the corridors, and they devoured the plants with glee. Derm and Gar managed to capture a pair of elephants, and volunteered them to help, but Zuntir balked at taming them. He claimed that their trumpeting was “deeply offensive.”

The other revelation was the complete lack of coal, anywhere. Karakzon was getting worried. All he could do was repeat his mantra, "just keep digging".

On the Bridge, Late Summer

“All right, lift… with your knees, your knees, not your back, you damn fool!” Gar shook his head. It was no wonder the bridge was taking so long to build, with workers like these.

“Excuse me, are you Gar?”

“What? Ok, put that block down, and wait for me. You’ll break your damn back the way you were doing it.” Gar turned to the dwarf who’d started talking to him. “Yeah, that’s me. Who are you?”

“The name’s Nerev, sir. The expedition leader told me you need mechanics?”

((ignore the blacksmith. he's got some mechanics skill too, just less))

Gar’s expression changed, becoming friendlier. “Ah, yes. Why don’t you walk with me, Nerve. Now, first, tell me. How do you feel about risking your life in an extraordinarily dangerous but potentially amazing venture?”

“Well, sir, I-“

He was interrupted, nearly permanently when a small, grey creature jumped out from behind a palm tree and slashed at him with a silver dagger.

It missed, more by chance than anything else, and before Gar or Nerev could react, it fled down toward the shore, screaming in fear or anger. Gar recovered first, and swore, “by the bones of Rakust! Someone chase that damn thing!” But there were no soldiers in sight, and the thing escaped down the coast.

“What the… what the hell was that sir?”

“That, my friend, was a goblin. Like an elephant or giraffe, but smaller, and more evil. And where there’s one, well…”

They both could hear the increase in shouting and barking coming from the fort’s entrance. "Should we go help them, sir?"

"Only if you really are completely fine with dying."

The goblin couldn’t believe its luck. It had slipped through the open entrance to Oceanbridge easily, somehow walked right through the crowd in the main hall without being spotted, and now it was free in the empty corridors by the workshops. It knew there were children in the fortress, it could smell them. It was just a matter of searching. But a moment later, its luck ran out, and it was spotted by one of the many dogs that wandered the halls. (Along with the horses.)

Derm was the first one to hear the barking, and the first on his feet, and the first to see the creature as it tried to escape. He smiled, hefted his axe, and roared

“Prepare for death, goblin! To me, soldiers of Oceanbridge! Charge!”

The first charge of the Daggers of Granite was a glorious sight… right up to the point that the narrow corridors of the fort betrayed them. First Derm tripped over a pile of thick cave moss, then Guy followed him. It quickly became a rather embarrassing pile up. Derm could only watch as the goblin turned and slashed out the throat of the dog chasing it in a single stroke, and then leaped, shrieking, onto the fallen soldiers.

It was fortunate for them all that Zuntir Basementnotch, Animal Trainer Extraordinaire was there.

Derm finally managed to dig himself out of the pile, and went over to congratulate Zuntir. "Well done, soldier! I could use someone like you in the militia. What's your name?"

Zuntir gave him a sharp salute. "I'm just an animal trainer, commander. I didn't mean to lose my temper, but that little beast hurt one of my dogs. Couldn't let him get away with it." And with that, he walked off, the sad body of the dog cradled in his arms. Derm watched him go. He'd have to keep an eye on the man.

((Next: Humans, caravans, and magma))

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2011, 01:13:38 am »

Summer - Autumn
It was no wonder the bridge was taking so long to build, with workers like these.
I bet we're building from blocks, not rock boulders, right?
Then set up a number of mason workshops so those workers can train their skill making rock blocks. That'll speed them a bit.

Meanwhile me and Nerev will think of something... well, just something.  :-X
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2011, 04:50:27 pm »

Right now we have six mason shops? Build more? Yeah, I should probably build more.

A quick question: When pumping magma, do all the materials in the pump have to be magma safe? Is there a reasonably safe method for getting magma to the surface? (Ok, I know the answer to that one. This is dwarf fortress after all.)

Also, sorry if that last update was rather... silly. I'd just been painting a deck. I blame the fumes.

Real update when I get the time.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2011, 02:16:58 am »

Right now we have six mason shops? Build more? Yeah, I should probably build more.
From one third to half of number of all masons, I guess. And set them make rock blocks on repeat.
A quick question: When pumping magma, do all the materials in the pump have to be magma safe? Is there a reasonably safe method for getting magma to the surface? (Ok, I know the answer to that one. This is dwarf fortress after all.)
You can use glass for any component. Wiki says that's safe as song as magma doesn't flood passable tile of pump, but I think I saw glass pumps working completely submerged to magma...
Amyway, use glass - we have a fucking shore of enldess sand!
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2011, 05:54:52 am »

I want Heavy Weapons dwarf. :c

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2011, 05:56:07 am »

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2011, 05:56:52 am »

Who, what?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2011, 05:58:29 am »

Who, what?
Large hammer that goblins bring.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2011, 06:01:16 am »

Stop confusing me. I swear, if you do something horrible will happen. More specificly, a forgotten beast made out of a really hard substence that can't be killed and can fly will casually enter the fort and kill everyone.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2011, 10:09:09 am »

As Summer turns to Autumn: Notes from Oceanbridge

8 Galena: Heroic war dog who fell in attack is given funeral worthy of champion. (ie: is thrown in the refuse heap)

10 Galena: Elephant gets loose in the fort, frolics about gaily around before Heavy Weapons Guy puts It down.

21 Galena: A human caravan arrives, to the surprise of no one.

23 Galena: A third goblin thief is scared off by a duck. Person makes fun of goblin, is savaged by an enraged mallard.

1 Sandstone: Cave moss spreads beyond control and covers the fortress like an aquamarine carpet. A really ugly one, too.

Meanwhile, the Quest for Coal continues.

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties:

Well, the humans were quite useful! Though, when I asked their leader how they got here, he looked at me like I was crazy and said “By ship, of course!” Not quite what I was getting at. How does everyone know we’re here? Elves, humans, goblins even. It’s all quite exasperating. But I’m losing the point. The point is, we gave them trinkets, they gave us food and booze and a couple of weapons for Derm’s militia.

After they left, things took a turn for the strange again. From what people tell me, Zuntir Basementnotch (who I hear is a pretty good animal trainer) got a look in his eyes and went straight to the closest workshop, got a bunch of stuff and locked himself in. I’m guessing he’ll make… a table. Or maybe a wardrobe.

Well, it’s not a table.

Is that a good thing? I'm going to say it's a good thing.

The Quest for Coal

Karakzon hadn’t seen the surface for weeks. He  wasn’t sure how far down he’d dug by now, probably over one hundred levels at least. He’d found a few more caverns, including one lit by an evil red light, where the only trees that grew were nightmarish twisted things the color of old blood, but since it didn’t contain any coal, he’d passed it without much thought.

It had been getting warmer the further down he got, which would have struck him as odd if he hadn’t been so intent on his goal. Fortunately, he was still fast enough on his feet to jump back when loose granite gave way under his pick and revealed...

He sat down and stared at for a while. "Huh. Well, that's something else." Then he noticed an odd, blue shimmering light in the distance.

Karakzon was running up the stair two at a time. Then he remembered that he had approximately 150 floors to run up before he reached the surface, so he started to walk. It was, however, a very excited walk.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 85