Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180561 times)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile

Oh ho I spoke to soon or maybe I jinx it.
How could it get any worse  ;D
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

post to follow :)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((right on))

The Fire, Part One:

"Ok, so close the gates!" Aban was pacing up and down in the old meeting hall. There wasn't much room to pace, as the room was packed, so she was mainly walking in a very small circle.

Gar said, "Bit of a problem with that Aban. Not one these idiots can remember which fucking lever works the gate."

Remalle spoke up. "Didn't you build it, Gar? Surely you must know which lever is which."

"I built a lot of things, Remalle. Right now, I've got to go build a new set of pumps. Deal with this thing yourself."

Ishar pushed forward as Gar made his way back to the stairs.  "Look, all we need to do is pull some of the levers, and hope nothing disastrous happens, right? The worst that could happen is we all drown or burn to death, right? Both of them can't happen at once, probably!"

"Yes, thanks for that, Ishar."

"You're welcome, boss. I'll just pull this lever right here then!"

Against all odds, it turned out to be the right lever, and the solid stone gates of Oceanbridge swung shut. They were safe.

As Ishar pulled the lever, Aban noticed something odd out of the corner of her eye. A strange flickering light near one of the walls.

Just a ghost, she realized. Nothing out of the ordinary about a ghost-

She blinked, and it was gone.

Next: Sieges, Fires, and Bird-Men = Problems.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

There is a command in new dfhack that shows linkages of mechanisms. In case you really forgot where that lever is, not just roleplaying.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I actually have forgotten what most of the levers do, so that's useful to know))

The Fire, Part Two

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties

Well, this is something else! This is a brand new nightmare. A nightmare aside from whatever it was that I saw in the old hall, which was nothing, so why do I mention it?

The fire... I'm not up to the task of describing it. It's all around the fort right now. No one dares step outside because of the heat. The noise is nearly worse, and if some sort of monster comes roaring out of the depths right now, I don't think anyone would notice it until it started killing.

We all watched as the flames rushed over the fields outside. The goblins didn't  even try to escape (Which was exceptionally creepy, I have to add), and were burnt up where they stood.

A few of the ice giants were out there too, and they went up like candles. Very large candles. That screamed.

When the flames reached the old arena, everyone fled to the lower levels. Smoke is everywhere, the fire itself has stopped at the walls. I wouldn't touch the walls, for fear of, you know, bursting into flame. But we've got a safe shelter here.

At least nothing much worse can happen.

Wait, what the hell am I saying? Erase that! I never wrote that!

Damn it, now Neo is telling me that there's sounds of battle coming from the shore. It must be a very loud battle, for anyone to hear it. We must be under siege again.

Hopefully the fire will burn them too.

Next: Traps are Problematic.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

Are those elves on the shore? Smart bastards, staying close to water.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile

Am I the only one that believes the armed-with-cabinets is a reference?
I hope the Goblins win that fight; Less problems that way.
Quote from: Confucius
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Quote from: Isaac Asimov
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

Am I the only one that believes the armed-with-cabinets is a reference?
It almost certainly is.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, it is. That's the reason I started playing Dwarf Fortress in the first place.

Working on an update, probably a big one.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Diary of ... no wait, diaries are for girls, real men write journals. Oh, okay, let's just start this from the beginning.
The journal of Di-III, the proud descendant of Diaconatian family.
Can't even remember how much time has passed since I've arrived to once glorious fortress of Oceanbridge for the first time. Though some part of me is little uncertain whether this has place ever been glorious, but the elders of my clan were certain that my destiny is to succeed in what my numerous siblings failed or to lay my life in the foundation of future triumph of Diaconatian family and dwarvendom.

The fortress was glorious in one thing indeed, falling. By the miracle I've survived but didn't manage to get away from it enough. Looks like someone's going to clean up the mess.

Hasn't been long before we've found remains of Di-3, his unburied bones were just lying around in a grass up there. Didn't know he even was here. I swear I'd tear nearest goblin apart with my bare hands if parents hadn't trained me how to control my anger. We were somewhat of a rivals him being from the neighbouring family. Di-shomes they called themselves I believe. We've fought and called each other the names throughout our childhood. Then we'd challenge each other in a drinking duel whenever we met near a tavern.
We weren't friends yet now when all what remains from him lies in a pile of mud and grass I feel emptiness inside.

More and more dwarves kept coming to this place telling stories about horrors at the north, I can only hope that gods and geography protected the secluded commune from where I come. Someone of them managed to speak with greenskins and informed us that all the giants, trolls and goblins are here to ensure we don't build a bridge. Only ogre are guarding the bridge itself though. Maybe if we tell them we're building fortress on the bridge, not the bridge itself they won't mind?

Someone has opened fortress to the lake down below. Looks like it's my moment of glory. Point to remember: better stay on the dry side.

Some fellow lost a tooth to a fish. Why didn't they let me seal that water tube completely?

Monkey men are coming and dying. And coming and dying hope that army girl and her creepy sidekick will learn a lot from fighting them. More than those goblins hanging around.

Some of newcomers has made a nice table. Soothefeeds. Hope the ghosts that occupied it have found some soothiness for themselves in it. Gods. I'm so totally making those coffins as soon as I finish all the other stuff.

The giant scorpion monstrosity managed to sneak inside. Dammit, I thought I've closed all the gaps in our walls. Are miners assisting them?! That Neo guy, now looks even more creepy.

Another monkey battle. Did someone drop a torch?

The fire is raging outside burning lush vegetation and goblins to ashes alike. There's something poetic in the resoluteness with which they (goblins, not plants) stood their ground even when facing sure death in flames.

Probably I should churn a harp or a drum from a rock and put my musical talents to use to memorize this terrible wonder.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Something like this

p.s. Sorry guys I've tried to control my scribbling mania but I've had an outburst today.
Also, varnish, good job. You've made me launch the game today, the first time in a couple of months.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 06:19:23 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I like the journal thing, Di. I always like when people add their own characters views))

The Fire, Part Three: Fighting in the Fort

The farmer was dead by the time the Soldier turned the corner. One of the "beak-wolves" was standing over what remained of the woman, poking at the... bits with one of its sharp claws.

There had been a few of the "bird-men", as the older Oceanbridger's called them, around since she had arrived. They didn't bother anyone, and Gar had assured her that his cage traps would take care of them if they ever got "frisky".

He was wrong, she thought. The bird-men had been watching the whole time, and they new exactly where the traps were, and how to avoid them. And now they were all over the fortress,

All of that went through the soldier's head pretty quickly in the time it took for the bird-man to leap at her, claws and beak bared.

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties

Gods. (Go away, gods.) It's been some time since we saw this kind of bloodshed in the halls of the fort itself. The last time was... the last time it fell. So that's a wonderful reminder.

But for now the fighting is over. We lost some more people, all from the refugee groups, but that's the way things go. And I have actual official reports on the attack, (actual and official!) from Neo and the Soldier, which I'll just copy on into here.

Report of the Soldier:

Must write with one hand, as bird thing bit chunk from other arm

Was attacked by "beak-wolf" in upper halls, wounded, but managed to kill beast despite getting bit. Monster had torn farmer to shreds. Stabbed farmer to ensure she would not rise again, made way to main food storage room after hearing screams.

Found more bird monsters menacing hapless civilians, killed them all. Not the civilians, they aren't a danger yet.

A good fight, but not where one would like to fight. Let's try to fight outside next time.

Two notes:
1. Cage traps were useless.
2. Twenty goblins or more still in halls. When they attack, it will be bad.

Only comfort of recent events is the burning of corpses and skeletons outside. The fire may be a blessing.

Neo's Report

As defending this place is my duty, I suppose I must also report on that defense. I feel it is mostly useless, however, and a waste time that might be used for something constructive. Nevertheless, here is my report.

While the Soldier and her squad fought off the monsters in the stockpiles, the rest of the militia and myself had our hands full in the old hospital.

The largest of the monsters were here, and it was only after they savaged three good recruits that we put them down. I hold very little hope for their survival.

Aban's Journal:

So that's that. Everyone, myself included, is worried about what will happen if these goblins attack. Everyone says, Hey! Get rid of them! But no one has any real ideas on how.

Maybe things will become clearer after this damn fire is gone. It's reached the gate, now.

One Week Later:

The fire had passed, but the air around the fortress was still filled with smoke, making it impossible to see more than a few yards. Remalle was pacing the walls, looking for some sign of life out in the blackened fields. So far as he could tell, there was none. All of the goblins were dead (leaving out the ones on the bridge, and in the fort itself.) That left the question: who had started the fire in the first place? The goblins... probably wouldn't have deliberately burned themselves to death, and the ape-men didn't have the brains to do something like that, he felt. So who?

The smoke was actually clearing away quickly, carried off by the endless wind that blew off the ocean. Already he could see past the arena.

And it was just past the arena's walls that he saw the giants. They were walking unscathed over the hot ashes, and they were coming straight for the fortress.

Next: Giant Problems.

((So tired. Got to check this over tomorrow and hope it makes sense))

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another riot inside fort is coming, yay!
By the way, does my dwarf has any weapon?
Since badger is his former relative I guess he'll be more confident to fight than average civilian. On the other hand, make sure he doesn't go insane while armed.
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((he's a crossbow wielder, so potentially either useless or dangerous. This post was hard to write for some reason.))

Talking to Giants:

Aban, Neo, Ishar, and most of the others watched the giants approach. It was very dramatic, she had to admit. Fifteen immense creatures, striding almost silently over ash, wreathed in smoke, and so on. She might have appreciated the moment more if they hadn't also been holding weapons that were larger than three dwarfs were high. And they knew how to use them. The birdmen weren't attacking anymore.

She turned to Neo and said, "Have we ever fought off these things before? Successfully?"

Neo nodded. "Once, I remember. Ishar drove them off."

"No I didn't!"

"Not you, Ishar. One of the others."

The conversation stopped there, as the giants had reached the gate. The largest of them (it was hard to tell, as they were all enormous) stepped forward, thumped his axe handle on the ground twice, and spoke one word.

"Doom."

Then it was silent again.

Aban scratched her head, and tried to think of an appropriate response. "Yes, well."

The giant didn't knowledge her, but continued in the same vein. "Yes, doom approaches, puny dwarfs! It watches you all as you huddle in your pits. It calls out your names one by one, and you recognize it not. It breathes alongside you, and you feel you are alone. Rakust stirs in his eternal slumber, and you poke at him with the sticks of awakening!"

"What?"

"End your building of this... this bridge or perish, foolish dwarf."

"I see. Well, let me get this straight. You already tried to kill us all once, and you almost did, but you let us come back, for some reason. And now you threaten us again? Why didn't you just kill us all before?"

"Doom will come for you if you build, dwarf." That seemed to be all he was going to say. The giants waited in a half-circle around the gate, their weapons at their sides.

Neo nodded to Aban, and said "This same thing happened before, the last time they attacked us. It was only a bit after that that the fortress fell again. Just, uh... a word to the wise." He shrugged.

"Hold on, no. I'm not going to take this." Aban climbed up onto the ramparts in an attempt to look the giant's leader in the eye. She had to settle for looking him in the chest. "Listen, you giant thing, or whatever you are. We've already faced whatever doom you might have! We've been facing it since the very day we can to this horrible island! And no, we are not going to stop building. We've all fought too hard, and lost too much to just pack in a give up because a bunch of over-sized humans think we're offending a god or something. I've heard a few gods myself, and they tell me to keep on building! Neo!"

"I'm right here, don't shout."

"Pick up a block, and get out on the bridge. We are going to start building again."

"Ah. Right. Again. What about the goblins?"

"There are about twenty goblins left here. There are fifty-four of us now." Aban pointed to the Soldier. "Arm the militia. The goblins can try to stop us if they really want to. But I am going to finish this bridge."

The giants didn't attack, yet. But they didn't leave their position near the gate either. They watched.

Next: The Soldier is Possessed (It's a Problem)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties:

What's the word for this sort of feeling? Exhiliration, I think. Spring is here, we've begun building the bridge again, and the goblins don't dare lift a finger against us while the militia is watching. Things are actually going ok!

Well, ok. There have been a few problems since we started rebuilding the bridge. (Not that it has anything to with... all right, it probably does.)

Gar and the others have been trying to find a source of fresh water, and there just aren't any. None of our old methods are working either, not the pumps or the cisterns. Even the water in the caverns has become too salty to drink. We know this, because one of the wounded refugees died of thirst while he was being treated.

And the Soldier went missing for some time. She's still alive, but was found in a crafter's workshop muttering all sorts of horrible things. But she has something in her hands, and it was... interesting.

We don't have a king anymore, or a queen. But we don't think about these days. I wonder why we don't think about it, or the Mountainhomes?

There's just no time to think about the rest of the world, I guess.

Next: An Endless Parade of Horrifying Madness, or, An Update on the Named Dwarfs

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The journal of Di-III, the most decorated musician of glorious fortress Oceanbridge.
Giants besiege us. And not only they guard the outside but they've brought some black sorcery with them. As if forcing injured dwarves to drink water wasn't enough, they've made it not only non-alcohol but undrinkable at all.
One of the dwarves recently injured by beakdogs  has died without a drink. A brewer dying of thirst. Oh the irony, you're so cruel.
Using my stoneworking talents I've made a drum for myself. Probably I'll write a sad song in memory of poor Stukos.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 85