Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180612 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort (.34.02!)
« Reply #840 on: April 21, 2012, 03:42:31 pm »

((Ideas! I'm not sure I understand what is meant when you say "comb pattern", though.))
I mean, even hammers are built hangling from left, while odd ones from right, and separated by height
like that:

top view:
###
  ###
###
  ###
###
  ###
###
  ###

side view:
  ###
  # I
    #
### #
I # #
#   #
# O #

Red ones are set a few level higher, so they aren't connected to each other. This allows them falling one by one, as they hang on supports only.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:45:05 pm by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 21, 2012, 04:43:36 pm »

((Ok! Think I got it. Building these things always takes time, though, because there's always undead birds around. Always.))

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished:

Luck is not with us, readers. Two more burials today (I say burials, but we haven't actually buried anyone, this being one of our main troubles. They were fresh recruits who thought that a few ogres wouldn't take much killing. I can't say if that is true or not, as it was Ishar that killed them.

While Bayar and the rest prepare to deal with the aftermath, I continue my efforts to understand the dwarfs here. I met Gar in the dining room, poring over some new plan of his. An excellent opportunity to find out what his reasons for being here were. I made my approach subtle; as I'm sure you readers will be able to appreciate.

A transcript (more or less) of the conversation follows:

"Gar, is it?"

"That's me. What do you want, Wilber?"

I reminded him that that was not my name, he said that, yes, he knew that, and I asked him just what in any god's name he was doing in a place like this. It may have come out bluntly. I'm not about to get nick-named Wilber.

"Are you joking? This is the only place around that might need a mechanic these days! Everyone else out there is just trying to survive. They've got no energy left for anything else. You show 'em a plan for a multi-tiered animal crushing wheel and they look at you like you're crazy. Bayar, though, she said to me 'great! Come help build this huge bridge I want to build!' That's why I came along."

It was an answer, of sorts. Feeling that line of inquiry die out, I asked him what he was working on.

"Well, look at this mechanism that that Rushmik made:

Pretty amazing, right? We're going to put it in my new trap setup, use it to crush old Ishar into a pulp. Can't see him coming back from that!"

I thanked him for his answer, and wished him the best of luck. He bustled off, very cheerfully. I hope he has good reason for his confidence this time.

Next: Goblins and New Faces Galore.

((Backstory! I'm mostly sure I didn't write an update almost identical to this earlier. It's... getting hard to keep track. Dwarfings in the next update.))

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 22, 2012, 05:23:15 pm »

((Pic-tures))

Ah, spring! The grey clouds are a little less grey, rain falls like rain, rather than thousands of rock hard watery bullets, and life in Oceanbridge becomes almost tolerable!

I kid, of course. But this spring has already produced some remarkable events.

First, goblins! I admit to not being surprised that they survived all the various disasters; if any living thing has a knack for survival, it's those creatures. This particular representative of their kind attempted to kidnap Amost Plankspun, who is someone's daughter. Whose, I don't know; there's a number of the little things running around these days. The goblins was apparently standing right over the girl when a one "Stoutpants" spotted him and raised the alarm.

Stoutpants then ran for his life, but his actions were still fairly brave, so I say "Well done, Stoutpants." Not out loud, though. After reading it, I thing that sentence might sound odd.

Derm and the rest of the soldiers gave chase, and Derm did what he's always done best. By that, I of course mean killing things. He sliced the goblin's head clean away from its shoulders.

This meant, however, that not a soldier was left nearby when Gigmaster spotted another goblin in the middle of the Bridge.

I think we can forgive him his shock, readers, as there is absolutely no reason a goblin should have been there! Did it swim? Do goblins even know how to swim?

Gigmaster told us that he was lucky to escape with his life, but the unfortunate result is that the goblin escaped as well. If the goblins these days are anything like the goblins of the old world, we can expect trouble from this.

The series of events was capped off by the arrival of a kobold thief.

I had a bit of trouble believing that report, but I have looked over the body, and it appears true. Understand, dear reader, that in the days of Old Oceanbridge, kobolds had long been extinct, due to starvation, I believe it was agreed.

They appear to have returned. One wonders how. We can't question this one.

I may have to look for Remalle and Neo once again. Too many mysteries, not enough answers.

Next: Something?

Stoutpants

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
    • View Profile
    • Drunk Fortress!
« Reply #843 on: April 23, 2012, 01:38:55 am »

You choice for my dwarf is right on the mark!
Follow my Drunk Fortress here!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 23, 2012, 05:19:34 am »

Kobolds died off, kobolds returned... who cares at all?

Also, I think I have sketches of Ogre Crushing Device Mk II:

front view:
7 #___# - floors
6 # I # - support
5 # # # - warhead
4 #___#
3 # I #
2 # # #
1 #   #
0 ##O## - Ogre!

top view, with maiteinance constructions:
7 #+++#
  #   #

6 #=I+# - floor section at right used to hang warhead till support is constructed. When it is, floor should be removed. Bridge at left used for linkage
  #   #

5 #=# # - bridge section used for constructing warhead. Since there is a fl0or section above, it hangs safely.
  #   #

4 #   #
  #+++#

3 #   #
  #=I+#

2 #   #
  #=# #

It's easier in construction, but lacks some charisma.. Hammers are cool, and single-block bombs suck. But both should work ::) 

Also, nice color pattern at Bridge. I do like it. How long it is now?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 25, 2012, 08:13:25 am »

REVENGE TIME! Redorf me as kingfisher, vengeful spirit of vengance. He shall enact his vengance upon vengeful zombies with his vengeful axe.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 25, 2012, 02:59:53 pm »

Yay! I win the award for most vulnerable personality ever!

I'm trusting AND quick to anger AND often dejected? I look forward to going berserk with great anticipation.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 26, 2012, 10:18:54 am »

((Woo, finals week! That is all))

DeepBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 30, 2012, 09:29:51 am »

This is awesome! :)

Dorf me please, any kind of smith of metalcrafter if possible.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 04, 2012, 11:05:02 am »

((No more week long breaks, ok?))

The lovely spring has brought us another mixture of migrants, as surely as the robin... I'm not sure, does whatever it is that birds do. This little group actually had the sense to bring along a guard, and the man found himself with plenty of work to do, what with the buzzards, zombies and so on.

Bayar spent some time weighing compassion against good sense, and in the end she opened the gates, and out the militia flew! Fortunately the ogres were busy elsewhere, and in the quick skirmish only Argel was wounded. It's a nasty looking wound, but I'm sure the man will recover.

The migrants reached safety without a scratch among them, and our population is now around 71, I'm told. The rumor is that this is an unprecedented number of dwarfs living in one place! Well, it's certainly becoming cramped, but Old Oceanbridge was much larger. Once again, a reminder of the sorry state this world is in, I think.

In the meantime, I've asked a few people "The Kobold Question", and have received a variety of answers, most of them obscene. They can be summed up as "Why the hell do you care?" I suppose there are more important things to worry about these days.

Next: Bridge Building Information!

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 04, 2012, 04:29:15 pm »

So, am I memorialized or is there a chance of a haunting?
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 04, 2012, 09:40:18 pm »

((Good chance of a haunting, I think))

Early Summer, Year Three

Up on the bridge itself, Neo toiled away. His single-minded dedication to building the bridge meant that he had been named head foreman, or some nonsense like that. In practice, it meant he had to spend too much time directing confused, exhausted peasants down to the middle of the bridge, where he had built a sort of station for builders to rest and recuperate.

It meant he had to fill out order after order for more stone blocks. And it meant he had to keep Slime from turning the bridge into a giant waterwheel constructed solely from cinnabar.

Some parts of the bridge were still pretty colorful.

But the bridge was growing every day.Despite the constant attacks from undead, despite the ghosts... in spite of everything, the bridge was growing.

Next: Possessions!

((Just a way of saying that yes, I am building the bridge.))

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 05, 2012, 06:49:37 am »

Inspired by colorful Bridge and a song from 80's -
A Party Song!
This is B.R.I.D.G.E!
This is B.R.I.D.G.E!

It is B - beautiful!
It is R - rock-constructed!
It is I - incredible!
It is D - damming the ocean!
It is G - ground-trembling!
It is E - yeeeeeeaahh, dude!!!!

Can I have my own statue garden somewhere in the middle of Birdge? Say, at cubicle above that workers resort.  I'd like to place waterfalls there...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:45:26 am by peregarrett »

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 05, 2012, 09:33:12 pm »

((Sure, sure))

Early Summer, Year Three

Counselor and Goldhammer reached the top of the dining room stairs at nearly the same time, both dwarfs out of breath and barely able to speak.

It was a bit of a wasted effort, as no one was in the dining room. So they climbed the last set of stairs to the surface, and collapsed at the feet of Dimaga, the archaeologist.

She looked surprised. "What's wrong with you two? Have the refuse stockpiles started coming back to life again?"

Goldhammer groaned and rolled over, and Counselor shook his head. "No! It's good news for once!" He stood up, with some effort, and said "Tell Bayar that we've done it. We finally broke through to the caverns!"

"It's amazing down there. We saw hematite, whole forests of tower caps, and water! Fresh water! The tunnels look a bit odd, though. Almost like they were carved out on purpose."

Dimaga's eyes grew wide when she heard the last part. She pushed past the two and started climbing down the stairs herself, before Counselor could say "It's probably nothing, though." He thought back over what Dimaga had actually said, and called after her. "And the stockpiles don't come to life. That's just ridiculous!"

"She's gone, Counselor."

"Yeah, kind of rude of her to rush off like that. I wonder what she thinks is down there?"

It looks like we've found the caverns, dear readers, and quite cavernous they are. That discovery hasn't made quite the impact that might be expected; everyone has been distracted by another case of possession.

As usual, madness results in creativity, or in this case, a toy boat.

I'm interested in the caverns myself, of course! There's no telling what we may find down there. One hopes for the best, but Bayar is preparing for the worst. All guards are heading down there in full armor, with the exception of those sent to search for Argel. (The fellow has gone missing! Have I mentioned that? It's been a busy time, dear readers. I've even had to resort to parenthesis.) And I prefer to avoid those.

Next: Death, Violence, and Mayors.

notenome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 05, 2012, 09:56:52 pm »

Did my wildly ambitious, idealistic bridge designing dwarf not make the cut? *sniff* Is he to be a genius not understood in his own time, relegated to AAR obscurity?
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 85