Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180524 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #645 on: February 03, 2012, 11:28:05 pm »

I, for one, am still reading.  Is my dwarf still alive by any chance?

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: February 04, 2012, 03:56:57 am »

That's one badass tapir.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: February 04, 2012, 04:24:45 am »

ARRGGGH!!! My precious pupm stack is destroyed!
REVENGE!!!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: February 04, 2012, 05:20:18 am »

From the journal of Ishar the bazillionth:
So, that was kind of an unsuccessful military operation. By which I mean most of our men capable of holding a weapon are mutilated corpses now. Then again, even though Carila is a fucking serious problem right now, we have to think long term. I have an idea for underground defense I will lay out to the others.
First off, seal the current cavern pass. In our current state, everything crawling through there could be lethal to us all. Then, dig a hole. We are dwarfs, that shouldn't be a problem. The chasm should be three urists wide, maybe ten urists long, and as deep as possible. A one-urist bridge (constructed or natural, doesn't matter) would pass over the center of the chasm, and we would put weapon traps on it, one for each tile. The traps would only need one weapon each - preferably steel though, we are not animals. The purpose of these traps would not need to be to kill any unwanted guests, but if someone tries to get through, either he/she/tapir gets mauled by the traps themselves, OR dodges them - into the pit below. We could fill the bottom with magma, spikes or whatever. Maybe even trap something like Carila there, and let it deal with anything dropped in there afterwards.
What I propose would need mostly digging, and a little bit of masonry and mechanic work. The only weak point I see is flying past it, but the others will surely fix that somehow.

Assuming any of us is left alive by the end of the week.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:46:26 am by Ishar »

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 04, 2012, 01:03:29 pm »

I volunteer to be the next to fight it (hopefully not alone). I will simply possess another body if I die, after all.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: February 04, 2012, 07:37:50 pm »

oh boy...

Yeah I'm still reading as well. FB can be very nasty. Hope that dwarf blood injected thing isn't contagous.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 04, 2012, 11:31:54 pm »

((Still working on Project: Kill the Tapir. Until then, a short artifact update.))

A Brief Interlude With Artifacts, Recorded by Aban Brothertreaties:

Hey, a hideous monster is attacking us! Well, I hope whoever is in charge can find a way to deal with that?

I’ve been keeping a low profile, watching the workshops. I’ve read a few old scrolls that seem to indicate that the artifacts that some people make in those odd moods are messages from the gods, in a sense. (Not a literal sense. That would be too easy. It’s all “symbolic”.)

About a week ago, a metalcrafter snuck into a forge, and I set myself up nearby to wait for the result.

This is what he made.

If it is a message, I sincerely hope it’s not literal.

(It also sounds like the screams of the damned when you play it, but I'm pretty sure that's normal for a piccolo.)

((Remalle is still alive. I just realized I need to redwarf several people. Next update!))

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 06, 2012, 06:54:17 am »

Whoa, battles are bloody ones, good job. Sadly, my dorf failed till the end. What's population status? Aren't we low on fodder?
Dorf me again as Di-3, preferably shooter this time.
And we do read this one.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 06, 2012, 10:47:21 am »

Journal of Scout:

What the hell was that crap?!

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: February 06, 2012, 09:13:02 pm »

I've been reading I just don't post unless I have something to say I'm I still making blocks?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Rgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [RELIGION: JEWISH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 06, 2012, 10:37:59 pm »

Posting to watch. Great job so far!
Rgamer likes dwarves for their industriousness. He dislikes small dogs for their annoying barking, enjoys a good run, and prefers to consume steak, potatoes, or apples whenever possible. He likes native silver, granite, marble, and ebony.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 07, 2012, 11:59:53 am »

Can't post right now, too busy running the furnaces.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 07, 2012, 02:32:38 pm »

((Still working on things. Big test times at the school, etc.))

Making the Plan:

“The bastard is breaking my magma pump! Kill it! Kill it dead! With fire, magma, water, and a half brick to the face, if necessary!”

“We’re working on that, Peregar, old boy. The difficulty seems to be in finding a way to kill it that won’t result in any more death on our part.” Wilberforce shook his head. “Poor Kogut. I can’t imagine he would have wanted to be killed by an enormous tapir. No, crushed by a cave in, that’s the way he wanted to go.”

“A cave in! That might kill the monster!”

“Or,” Ishar said. “We kill it the same way it killed the militia. Tapir monsters can shrug off steel weapons, it seems, but I have yet to see anything that can survive a ten to twenty urist drop.”

“Huh. An interesting idea, but how do we get it to fall? I doubt that the beast will willingly leap to it’s own doom.”

Ishar rolled her eyes. “Here, let me show you. It’s really quite simple.”

She demonstrated the idea on a piece of paper. It was actually quite simple, and it was agreed that they would try it.

Meanwhile:

While Peregar starting constructing the mechanisms nescessary for the plan, and Alkhemia and others gathered weapons, Carila seemed content to sit at the bottom of the pump stack, on top of a pile of bodies. Life in Oceanbridge continued on as before, and that meant precisely what it seemed to mean.

Professor Featherlog had befriended most of the dwarfs in the marksdwarf squad, and was somewhat put out by the fact that most of them were now dead.

Captain Killpatient was happy to provide her with a nice spot to sit and think about it for a few months.

A few dwarfs took suddenly began acting somewhat differently, and referring to themselves by different names. Wilberforce called it “irritating”, and “dangerous nonsense that will be the doom of us all”, but otherwise not much fuss was raised.

A group of goblins tried to attack, and were quickly crushed by the drawbridge for their troubles.

And strange sounds were heard from the depths. There was something sinister in the underground lake; something that no dwarf had ever before seen.

Next: Traps and Berserkers and Goblins Galore.

((Thanks to everyone who is reading! Hopefully the next update will bring plenty of Fun.))

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 07, 2012, 03:05:46 pm »

You could try to pit them against each other in the arena, if the plan doesn't work.

jvm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 08, 2012, 09:30:27 am »

I'm surprised i caught up on 44 pages in a day or so. Good FUN  :D
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 85