Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180477 times)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #615 on: January 18, 2012, 10:22:24 am »

Pets get healed like dwarves right? I seem to remember them having jobs assigned them in the hospital when I last played.

Actually, no. They regenerate on their own, but no hospital care, I'm fairly certain.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 18, 2012, 10:54:29 am »

Awesome. :)

But how's the tiger looking? Pets get healed like dwarves right? I seem to remember them having jobs assigned them in the hospital when I last played.

Ishar's right, they heal on their own. He's already healed the major wound, and has a massive jagged scar on his chest. Also, his name is Nil Chewedwhips, which I keep forgetting to note down. It's a good name for a tiger, I think.

Holy carp. Roy is badass!

What about map, btw? Amd magma?

Map, right. Ok, that's next on the list too. Then you can all see just how badly the fortress is designed! (I prefer the "organic sprawl" method of design.)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 20, 2012, 03:13:25 pm »

hmm...  le mini bump?
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 20, 2012, 10:16:56 pm »

((STILL I LIVE. Having trouble with the map compressing program, though. Exception errors all over the place? Hm.

Very short post, involving story.))

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties, Spring 199

Well, I made it back.

I didn’t know what to expect when I got back here, honestly. Ruins? Skeletons? Ruins coated in skeletons? For a while on the journey back, I kind of wondered if I might be the only dwarf left in the world, even though the voice in my... er, I mean, “Tholtig” assured me that wasn’t true.

And it was right. After I washed ashore (I’m so sick of almost drowning, journal), the first thing I noticed was how much longer the bridge was. People have been working here. How’s that for baffling?

The next thing I noticed was that the beach was covered in trash; broken pots, spilled wine, etc, and that some of those things were moving around on their own. Floating, I mean. I don’t know what that’s about.

I don't know who has taken over here, and I don't know if they've heard about the mountainhomes, and I don't know if they'll even notice when I arrive. I think I might sneak in the back way... If it still exists.

Oceanbridge has changed since the last time I was here. It’s time to find out how.

Next: Maps, (hopefully) Re-Introductions, and Recaps.

((Not a lot here, I know. The next update will be better))

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 21, 2012, 01:45:28 pm »

((Hooray it's the map!))

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10947-oceanbridge

That's all I got right now.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 21, 2012, 03:19:19 pm »

Oh, finally!!!

Now I can think of some defences... Do we have magma already? With all this rotting crap laying around it would be the best solution.

But speaking of actual things,did someone test "shocking dust trap"? I mean, we have a road without any traps, and a wall along it. When invaders are marching at our gates, we pull levers and pieces of wall dropping near the road, so dust hits them againist the wall. Dropping rock over their heads is overpowered. Also, it's easy to reset trap, when we drop constructed wall it should deconstruct to boulders, right?

I think the perfect place for it would be east from gates, after dried pool. something like this:

Code: [Select]
<- gate there  ^ pool ends here
O=============================================O
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ enter here
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
O=========O.................................... - here drops the wall
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:25:42 pm by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 21, 2012, 05:03:40 pm »

YAY! the post is to page 42. This makes me happy.

oh and I must say that I am truly impressed with the amount you got done considering the sieges, ambushes, reclaims, yaks, and other issues that have come up.
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 23, 2012, 09:37:38 am »

Wow, it's mess indeed. Especially the socks that cover all the grass even on the other side, if it were me, I'd quickdump those to magma sea and pretend a wizard did that.
There seems to be no way of editing points of interest after adding them (discovered that after making one, sorry), so it'd be better if you made those by yourself. For example, is that fortification square arena? And what's that tunel to ocean for?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 23, 2012, 12:33:55 pm »

I'll take a look at the map and add some points of interest soon.

Is quick-dumping a dwarf therapist thing? I'd really like to clear out the trash, and at this point I don't care how it happens.

Sorry for no updates lately. Got a nasty steam burn on my hand at work, typing hurts.
\

Oh, and that little spot was actually part of the original attempt to tunnel through the aquifer. Why the lower part doesn't show up is beyond me. It later got re purposed as a really crude baths.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 23, 2012, 01:05:03 pm »

quick-dumping is actually DF hack, which is seperate from dwarf therapist. basically you select a few things for dumping and then when you type autodump into DF hack, it quick dumps them to your cursor.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:09:11 pm by +!!scientist!!+ »
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 23, 2012, 01:21:35 pm »

Got a nasty steam burn on my hand at work

That sounds hardcore. Spartan, what is your profession?

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 23, 2012, 03:00:54 pm »

Woah, finally got back from vacation and took a while to catch up on this. You've got a great... well, everything here. I like to see the different approaches to fortresses, especially ones that differ from mine. In that they work. I wind up having a massive smoothed, carved entryway and around that time I realize I've forgotten something vital. Like food.

Anyway, I'd love to see more of the non-military dwarves behind the scenes. It seems like death and destruction would phase everyone differently and might be fun to explore. Though you may be too busy killing things. Or providing medical care. Speaking of that, someone needs to make a utility that tracks fortress statistics. It'd be nice to look up how many dwarves have received medical care, how many animals have been butchered, bolts fired, dwarves gone insane, sentients magmafied, etc.

Keep up the good work! Can't wait for an update.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 23, 2012, 10:40:53 pm »

Got a nasty steam burn on my hand at work

That sounds hardcore. Spartan, what is your profession?

There's nothing more hardcore than washing dishes for a living.

I added some points of interest to the map! They probably don't clear up anything, but, you know. Check it out.

Real updates are in the works!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 24, 2012, 08:02:44 am »

((Small update))

Excerpt from a pamphlet found in the dining hall:

Craftsmen of Oceanbrige Unite!

Tell Mayer Anderson that youre sick of masons and soldiers geting all the work! Tell him that skilled craftsmen shuld not be made to chip blocks all day long while there talents rot! Tell him that if wants another vote to go his way, hell find real work for the real workers, not a bunch of rock lovers and lazy soldiers!

And if he doesnt, kick him right out and vote a dwarf who will.

Signed by the Metalworker and Craftsman Union of Oceanbridge

Wilberforce Interrogates the Jotunar Leader

“Tell all, my rather large friend. Why did you come here? Why do you want to destroy this place? That’s not exactly a polite thing for a sentient creature like yourself to do, now is it?”

The Rime Giant, who looked quite uncomfortable hunched over a cage designed to hold badgers, ignored him, as he had been doing for some time.

Seeing the peasant Lovecraft pass by, he brightened up and intoned “Doom! Doom approaches for you, little dwarf! The doom of the gods is upon you!” Lovecraft’s eyes grew wide, and he screamed and ran from the room.

“Yes, well.” Wilberforce sighed. “Tell you what, let’s take a break. Feel free to torture yourself for information; frankly, I haven’t got the stomach for that sort of thing."

"Doom."

"Quite." Wilberforce turned away, and walked out of the room.

After stopping in to inform Mr. Anderson that he had no new information to offer, Wilberforce headed to his own office, a floor above. To his surprise, he found a small note nailed to the door, (his brand new, high quality limestone door, he thought, annoyed.) Picking the little piece of paper off, he read: "Wilberforce. Meet in the old furnace room. Important information to discuss. Signed, a Friend."

Well, that was interesting.

Next: Stuff, and Probably Things (How often have these "next" things actually been accurate, anyway?)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 24, 2012, 11:40:31 am »

Looking forward to the stuff. Can't wait for things.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 85