Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180436 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #585 on: January 12, 2012, 12:57:37 pm »

((Ishar is invulnerable. Her baby? Less so.))

Things Go Wrong, Part Two:
Reports to the Mayor

Ishar’s Report
We were ambushed, that’s what happened! Someone should have spotted that, you know, there were two more groups of goblins waiting for us out there! I did my part, anyway. I killed one of them, and if I could have saved Balnash, I would have. Don’t blame me for that. He was dead the moment the gate opened. I lost a baby there, too.

Bayar’s Report
It was Balnash gettin’ killed right out the gate that did it. And us gettin’ attacked from every angle. I saw that Orcrist tried to get things under control, but he got stabbed in the back. After that, well, I never saw so many things go wrong at once! We’re all just goddamn lucky to be alive.

Derm's Report
Too many goblins.

Croaker’s Report
It appears to have slipped your notice, but I am operating on a dwarf right now.  Kingfisher? No, I don’t know why he was out there. I don’t know why you’re in here, interrupting me, but I would like you to leave. Now, please.

G’s Report
Damn it, man, wait until they finish operating on me before you ask me questions! I might be missin’ a foot, but I can still chop your damn head off!

Next: What Happens Next? (More problems)

((List of named dead: Orcrist, Balnash, Kingfisher. Not as bad as I first thought, not good, either. That's the way it goes!))

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 12, 2012, 01:20:28 pm »

Shit. I think the things should be fixed as soon as possible!

Can you upload map to dfma? Peregar would like to suggest some crazy mechanical stuff to protect us. Swear not reduce the number of fun occuring here, but make it more spectacular!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 12, 2012, 06:43:47 pm »

From the sauce-stained notebook of Slime:

Don't drink the wine. They put something in to... make you forget. I don't even remember how I got here. The amount consumed might be to blame. You can't take it in slow, not in Oceanbridge. The things you see here... the thing is, exorcism is like cooking, but without fisher berries. Can't make a decent roast without them,  maybe the bookkeeper could show me to some. The only things I can be sure of right now are that not even the kitchen may be safe, and Neo sure as hell doesn't have fisher berries for me.

Mjattie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 12, 2012, 10:58:36 pm »

((Havn't been around for a while, but i'm back now))

The Journal of Mr. Anderson:

The entire fortress has gone to hell! No one even saw it coming, it happened in an instant. I've barricaded myself in one of the chambers deep within the fortress. I only hope that this will die down, because I don't think i'll be able to get out of here alone.
EDIT: I suggest the Baron's quarters look out into the caverns, with bridges between the windows and the flying building destroyers, so they can be opened in an emergency.
Sorry, I saw you accidentally wrote closed, so I fixed it.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 12, 2012, 11:32:32 pm »

Things Go Wrong, Part Three: Problem Solving

Winter had just begun when Dr. Killpatient made his announcement.

The old dining room was packed with dwarfs demanding to see the mayor, or the broker, or anyone at all. Fistfights had broken out, and it was almost impossible for anyone to make themselves heard over the shouting. Wilberforce had already given up and was hiding out on the bridge, with most of the militia, while Mr. Anderson was still nowhere to be found.

The good doctor managed to get heard by breaking a table in half with his warhammer.

He stood one the remains of the table, and clapped his hand in a completely unnecessary attempt to get more attention. “All right! I’ve got an announcement to make, so listen up!” All eyes focused on him, except for the eyes of the mason Tun, who had been knocked unconscious by an angry potter, and the potter, who was busy tearing up plump helmets.

“I’m a doctor, like you know, and I take care of sicknesses. There’s a sickness in this fortress, only, see, it’s in the people’s heads! And I’ve got a way to cure it!” He hefted his hammer. “Rioting, now that’s a symptom of the sickness. Anyone caught doing that will get a light medicinal beating, plus maybe some time in quarantine to keep them from infecting anyone else!”

Everyone was still staring at him, though not silently. The angry potter finished his gardening, and muscled his way through the crowd, shouting “Like hell you are! I'll kick your damned ass and anyone else who tells me that-"

Dr. Killpatient calmly swung his hammer. There was a loud crack, and the potter went down, his face pale.

"There's one patient! Any others out there? We need to start this treatment now, before things get worse, you know!"

Scientist Mk. II was already there, trying to drag the moaning potter away. “Er, are you sure you know what you’re doing, ‘Doctor?’” His voice was nervous.

Killpatient turned to face him, smiling slightly. “That’s Captain Killpatient, to you.”

The new Captain of the Guard got down to work. There was a lot to do.

Next: State of the Fortress Report

((Fun fact: I chose the new captain of the guard at random. Also, I hope that Mr. Anderson has sounded all right so far, Mjattie. Also also, I'll get to work on the map to dfma thing soon. I've never tried doing that before, and I'm hoping I'll get it right,))

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 13, 2012, 04:23:24 am »

damn if this doesn't seem !!FUN!! enough! i suggest this would be an excellent moment to begin pumping magma to the surface, what with those goblins and whatnot sieging and killing, though the riots might be a problem. maybe you could put some of the next migrants to it, if you not have to draft all of them
I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 13, 2012, 04:53:09 am »

damn if this doesn't seem !!FUN!! enough! i suggest this would be an excellent moment to begin pumping magma to the surface, what with those goblins and whatnot sieging and killing, though the riots might be a problem. maybe you could put some of the next migrants to it, if you not have to draft all of them
Let's see the map first.
But you're right, I was thinking of somethink like that.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 13, 2012, 06:12:11 pm »

This doesn't seem so bad. A few casualties, sure, and a little civil unrest to spice it up, but Oceanbridge has seen far worse.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Mjattie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 13, 2012, 07:45:05 pm »

((But Mr. Anderson gets very very paranoid sometimes!))
EDIT: I suggest the Baron's quarters look out into the caverns, with bridges between the windows and the flying building destroyers, so they can be opened in an emergency.
Sorry, I saw you accidentally wrote closed, so I fixed it.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 13, 2012, 10:16:38 pm »

((Ok, State of The Fortress and map later. First, more FUN.))

In the Prison:

“Well, it’s not so bad, Iteb. You’ll be free in a week, and most of your bones have already healed! We’ll look back on this and laugh one day, for sure.”

Iteb, the potter who had been the first arrested by Killpatient, tugged at his chain, and didn’t say anything.

Deler, (a glazer by trade, not a ghost) frowned. “That’s not a good attitude, now is it? Look on the bright side! At least... uh... at least no one is actively trying to kill you right now!”

Iteb continued to say nothing. The cracked ribs may have had something to do with it.

Deler heard another dwarf approach, and turned to look. “Hey, here’s Cerol,  she’s bound to cheer you up. She’s... she’s...” She noticed something. “She’s carrying a dagger...Uh, Cerol, what are you doing?”

Cerol stared for a moment, then made a clumsy swing at her, missing by inches. Deler screamed and ran for the exit, barely making it out in one piece. She shouted “Oh dear Atir, someone call the militia! She’s gone berserk! Cerol’s gone berserk!”

Iteb, unfortunately, couldn’t run.

By the time the militia, led by Ishar and Derm arrived, Iteb was dead, his face slashed to shreds.

Cerol stood over him, seeming almost puzzled by what he had done. His confusion only lasted a second though, and with a furious snarl he attacked the first dwarf he saw.

Ishar calmly moved to one side, and cracked his skull open with her mace as he rushed past. It had the result that sort of thing usually does.

"Well, that was a waste."

Next: State of the Fortress, Maps, and Murder.

((Ishar has more kills, I just cropped it to highlight that one. Anway, don't worry, things always get bad before they get even worse! Wait...))

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 14, 2012, 05:21:23 am »

Please redorf me as a crossbowdwarf.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 14, 2012, 03:43:24 pm »

You guys have no idea how close I am to another reclaim. No idea.

Argh.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 14, 2012, 04:17:08 pm »

Please don't say that. Oceanbridge must live on, come !!FUN!! or high water!

From the Second Book of Croaker

Things have been going to hell in a handcart.

I attended the seance. Remalle, one of the surviving founders, somehow called up the ghost of one Neo, presumably a resident of old Oceanbridge, at the request of overseer Wilberforce. Interestingly, the ghost didn't materialize out of thin air, but out of a local named Neo. Seems like a case of possession to me, though I can't exactly consult with One-Eye on it right now.

About a week later, the goblins came. Dozens of them, armed with sword and spear and greed for dwarven wealth. There were plenty of injuries to go around. We lost good dwarves to the enemy, among them Orcrist, Balnash and Kingfisher, and worst of all, Ishar's baby. Wilberforce thought Kingfisher's death was important enough to interrupt me during surgery for some questions (directed at myself and my patient, no less).

And to kick off the Oceanbridge cultural calendar this winter, we have rioting. While Wilberforce and the militia hid out on the Bridge, the locals gathered in the dining room, probably for a spot of tea and murder with plump helmet biscuits. I took this time to hide the First Book before something terrible happens. I now have the world's most rigid pillow. Soon as I can, I'm asking a miner to dig out a hidden cubbyhole in my room to stash the book properly.

Later I heard the goings-on from Scientist, who was dragging in an injured dwarf. That raving loon Killpatient had gained the position of Captain of the Guard, and was busy 'treating the symptoms of rioting' by way of a warhammer in the grill and a prison sentence. Who the hell appointed him, anyways? I need to have a chat with Wilberforce. There's something sinister afoot in Oceanbridge. I can feel it in my bones.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 15, 2012, 04:53:25 pm »

((Sinister things indeed. And here's where it gets worse. But first an update on some ignored dwarfs. But first...))

State of the Fortress, and Some Dwarfs Within

Alkhemia had been busy. She’d  been busy for years, building the blocks that made the bridge possible. If you’d asked her what was going on in the fortress above, she wouldn’t have answered, becasue she was busy making blocks.

Still, even with that and all the chaos, she'd found love.

The Scout was still confused about that. At least they weren’t married yet... Wait, he wasn’t married, was he? No, probably not. He was sure he would have heard something about that.

Oh gods, what if he was married?

In the meantime, he was proud of being one of the only soldiers in Oceanbridge without a crippling injury.

Mr. Anderson finally emerged from his office after a berserk bone carver bashed down his door and tried to beat him to death while he slept.

Anderson escaped with only a few bruises, and the bone carver was put down by Roy and her war tiger. It was messy.

Lovecraft was out on the bridge when he witnessed a murder. No one believed him, but he swore that he saw another peasant push a metalsmith over the edge.

He’d run all the way to the fortress without looking back. Now everyone thought he’d gone mad, but he knew what he had witnessed was real.

You didn’t need to look far to find madness that winter.  Colonel Kurtz, a dwarf who was avoided by most intelligent people, snuck into a mechanic shop and began stealing various odds and ends for some nefarious purpose.

It turned out he was making a mechanism, of all things.

And then there were the real cases of madness. Every week or so, it seemed, another dwarf lost his or her mind.

The violent cases weren't too common, at least. Siverix was getting tired of cleaning up the bloodstains.

And the winter of 198 finally neared its close.

Next: Ape-Men and other Types of Fun

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((I want to put up the map when the fortress is a bit more stable, so it might take... a moment. Also, I tried some magma pumping, and it absolutely kills the fps. Kills it dead. I'm honestly not sure if this computer can handle it. Annoying.

Here's how far there is to go:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
))

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 15, 2012, 05:41:04 pm »

Hey, that's actually pretty damn close! Throw big-ass party when it's really finished!
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 85