Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180428 times)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #570 on: January 08, 2012, 03:19:07 am »

Yeah, I've done that plenty of times. Make a backup save, just in case, but you should be fine. The Yak entry is in Dwarf Fortress\data\save\regionX\raw\objects\creature_domestic.txt. You only have to add [TRAINABLE] to it, and there you go, war yaks. I've never really tried it with peaceful grazers though, so the [BENIGN] tag may be a problem, but I doubt it.

If it works, and you don't have any more plans for it, give me the yak after training. We're gonna kick some serious goblin ass.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:21:11 am by Ishar »
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 08, 2012, 03:24:32 am »

You dont KICK goblin ass.

You hang goblin ass up on steel hooks and apply magma to them. That's the dwarf way, unless your a filthy elf. :P

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 08, 2012, 04:41:37 am »

Before you start training more, might be nice if you gave that war tiger to Roy. The first war animal of the group, and after it saved her life, makes sense.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 08, 2012, 05:02:59 am »

Journal of Kingfisher
Ah, I have arrived. The bridge was stark on the horizon as I trekked with these people who I did not know. The fort's  hospital is not the best stocked, but I will do as much as possible to help.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 09, 2012, 08:07:49 pm »

((Writing the next update right now, but wanted to make sure I got something up here today. A busy day, because of partying.

Clearly, varnish knows how to party like a dwarf.  :P
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 09, 2012, 08:17:00 pm »

((STORY TIME. EVERYTHING IS SERIOUS))

The Meeting:

It took most of the day to get all the dwarfs Wilberforce had called for into one room, but with some heavy (and literal) prodding from Balnash, they managed it. The doctor Croaker followed along, looking curious.

“Light the candles, Remalle. We’re going to have a seance.”

Remalle sighed, and stood up. He already had the candle lighter in hand.

“Really? That’s why you brought us all here? I could be training right now!”

“Calm down, Di-2. This involves you.” Wilberforce cleared his throat and looked around. “Everyone seated? Good! I called us all here because I wish to contact a ghost.”

Di-2 pointed. “There’s a ghost right there! See? Old Deler.”

Deler howled.

Wilberforce waved his hand vaguely at the ghost. “Yes, I can see him. There’s not a day goes past that I can’t see him, or hear him. I have a specific ghost in mind, the ghost of my old friend Neo. Perform the ceremony, Remalle.”

Remalle still wasn’t sure if there was a ceremony, but chanting had worked before. He gave it his best, proposing in a vague way that Rakust, God of Death, might find the time to help them out.

For a while, again, nothing happened. Then the candles flickered out, one by one.

What happened next was alarming, not least for Neo, who not only saw, but felt it happen. Wilberforce later described it “as if Neo’s very soul was lifted out of his body, like a bird into the sky. Except  the bird was shaped exactly like Neo, and it just sort of bobbed on the ceiling, awkwardly.”

Neo didn’t try to describe what happened.

One of the newest cooks, a dwarf with the unfortunate name Slime, was passing through on his way to the kitchen. He recovered, eventually.

Remalle stopped chanting, alarmed, and the apparition faded. Neo jerked in his chair, then fell to the floor, barely conscious.

In the stunned silence that followed, Remalle shook himself off and went to relight the candles.

Wilberforce managed to speak first. “That was... unexpected. Nevertheless...” His voice was shaky. “I believe that has confirmed what I believe to be true.” He turned to Neo. “You didn’t just choose that name, did you. You are Neo, who died several years ago.”

Neo got to his feet. “I... Sort of, I think you could say.”

“No doubt your spirit was freed to wander bodiless, until it came into the possession of another one.”

“I-“

“I do not want an answer, please.” He turned to the others. “I note that a number of you may be in similar situations. The dead, running around possessing the living!” He shrugged.

“I don’t want to talk about it here, and obviously no-one is going to be punished for this, as if it’s a crime, it’s one that no punishment exists for. “ He shook his head. “Ghosts and possessions and I don’t know what else. There’s something wrong here, something seriously wrong. But we’re going to figure it out, if my name isn’t Wilberforce Ambrose Ropenourished!”

“And is that your name?” asked Croaker, who was taking notes in a small notepad.

“Indeed it is. And the Ropenourisheds are not known for ignoring problems. If any of you want to speak to me in private, I shall be in my office.”

"Ya mean that little dugout next to the main hall?" Balnash asked

"Yes, that."

Meanwhile:

G, Ishar, Kogut, and the rest of the militia had been training hard for weeks. It was time to test that training out. Mr. Anderson had gathered a few of them in the arena.

“Are you ready, G?”

“Hell yes, I’m ready! Drunk as I can get, and ready to kill, boss!”

“Are you ready, Ishar?”

Ishar nudged her daughter, Kogut III in the direction of the door, then pushed the other one into her backpack. “Yes, I am.”

“Then pull the lever!”

There wasn’t as much of an audience this time, which was a shame, as things went exactly as intended.

A Ferric Elf bowman, half-starved from its time in the cage, charged at Ishar in a blind rage, and was rewarded with a mace to the skull.

Kogut III applauded from the side door.

G watched with disappointment as one of the other, lower rank axe-dwarfs killed the dark strangler that had been released.

He had to content himself with chopping a giant rat in half.

Their training had paid off.  Not one soldier was injured, and six caged enemies were killed.

How will the Dwarfs of Oceanbridge deal with the news that the dead are posessing the living? Should it really have taken that long for Wilberforce to realize it, considering they all gave themselves the same name? What's the connection between the bridge and the ghosts and everything else? Will everyone die in a goblin siege before we find out the answers to any of these questions? Find out Next Time!

((Notes: Roy was assigned the tiger some time back, which I forgot to mention, I suppose. Also, does everyone love sieges? Because I think that you had better love sieges.))

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 09, 2012, 09:15:32 pm »

Excerpt from the Diary of Neo:
Well, that went better than expected.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 10, 2012, 10:33:49 pm »

((Hold on. Everybody might be about to die again. Working on it.))

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 11, 2012, 01:27:13 am »

That is the classic DF phrase.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 11, 2012, 03:33:28 am »

((Hold on. Everybody might be about to die again. Working on it.))
He's trying to kill us! (again?)
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 11, 2012, 06:18:05 am »

Oh nifty. Kinda curious as to what it(the tiger) was named. Either way, if you need another military dwarf, Roy might work out well if you have a whip or a scourge handy. To go with the trainer theme.

Also, since I don't post in here as often as I might, I get the feeling I may be saying the same things over again. XD So just ignore me if I do.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:02:01 am by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 11, 2012, 08:58:05 pm »

((Problems time!))

Things Go Wrong, Part One:

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished

Dear readers, I can’t even fathom how to tell you of the latest events in Oceanbridge. For one reason, I was only conscious for a portion of them. Mild head injuries have a way of, well...

Nevertheless, I began putting together these little memoirs of mine for a reason, and while that reason escapes me, I shall continue in the task I set myself to.

After the little “incident” involving Neo (we shall speak no more of it, now), we had a week of quiet. Then the goblins came. This little group didn’t come as sneaking ambushers, but as an army, marching up to our gates as bold as a cavy.

They were led by a particularly large member of the species, who rode a cave-bird of some kind. He made quite a sight, flying up and down, shouting at us in goblin-ese, or whatever one might call their language.

Mr. Anderson, who, I might mention, has gone missing these last days, ordered the attack. I hadn’t been to the fight, as they say, in some time, so I got out my old sword and made ready.

And that is where things go blank. I woke in a bed, to see the face of Scientist Mk II over me. Once I recovered from that shock, I assured him that I was as healthy as beans, and promptly fell face first off the bed.

I took his advice and regained my post. Perhaps my recovery will be a few days in coming.

As I sit in the bed, scribbling out these words, I hear the rumors filtering in. We’ve lost a number of soldiers and civilians, and there are injured in every bed in the hospital. There’s rioting in the upper levels,

and more than one dwarf has lost his mind, they say. It appears the curse of Oceanbridge has returned, and in full force.

I have only one question: how? And what will we do about it, of course. And why did this happen, as well? In fact, I’m not going to limit myself when it comes to questions. Plenty to go around these days.

Next: What, How, Not Why.

((GAAAAH))

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 11, 2012, 09:56:26 pm »

Who remains among the living?

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 11, 2012, 10:00:51 pm »

See, Croaker must be some sort of genius. He ended up at a fort guaranteed to give him plenty of work!

Is he still alive, by the way? I'd like to write another excerpt of the Second Book if he is.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 12, 2012, 11:30:47 am »

I'm pretty sure my dwarf is okay. Maybe lost some body parts, but mainly okay. (Isn't she?)
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 85