Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 177066 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #555 on: January 05, 2012, 07:56:25 am »

One goblin? Please tell me he was spearmaster or military is performing hauling nine months a year. Also, wasn't there derm at the gates when goblin got in.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 05, 2012, 09:14:11 am »

wow that was some crazy infiltration skills on that gobbo I wonder how he got past Derm, too. by the way peregarrett i asked for my character's obsidian sword and i think the rest of the militia equipment is more or less up to your standards, given that we have spent more than 200 steel bars only in constructions and the infromation of previous battle reports. and 1 enemy defeating more than one dorf is what they happen to be somewhat skilled and have some luck with their rolls, we are lucky enough that the lasher only killed the merchants damnit, if he had joined the spearman we would have endured more casualties of dorfs who were unconcious, or a baby  :D
I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 05, 2012, 01:25:19 pm »

((Brief explanation. The goblin got in after derm had wandered off to chase a warthog near the gates, the moron. Forgot to mention that.

As for the wounds, it looks like I got my equipment orders mixed up again. There are thirty five dwarfs in the militia, and I'm having trouble keeping the armor organized. The military is not my strong suit! Getting dwarfs killed through incompetence is my strong suit. Sigh.

In good news, our fortress just got a new pet!

Also, hopefully coming soon: MAGMA

Update soonish.))

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 05, 2012, 04:48:21 pm »

Is naming pets possible somehow? I tried to find it, but to no avail. If you can, name him Peacespray Jr.

If it was me, I'd edit to raws to allow the training of war yaks, but that's just me...
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 06, 2012, 06:12:58 am »

Did you dorf me?
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 06, 2012, 09:05:28 pm »

((Blah.))

In the Hospital:

“Oy! Get the man away from me!” Karakzon had just been brought to his bed, unconscious, a state he did not stay in.

The diagnoser, a dwarf named Croaker tried to push him back down. “You’re wounded, Miner. I need to look that leg over to see what needs doing.”

“Nonsense! Time was a dwarf could do his healing in his own way. I don’t need you doctors messing around with a little flesh wound like this.” He pointed at the long ragged scar on his leg. “I’m off to do some digging. Still getting a feel for the changes you boys have made around here.” Karakzon stood, wincing slightly, then pushed his way through the door.

Croaker shrugged. “Go and die of infection, then. I’ve got five more wounds to diagnose in here. Where’s that surgeon...”

“Hey!” Scientist Mk. II (Croaker hadn’t asked him about the name), arrived at his shoulder.

“Can you fix this one?” He handed the surgeon a sheet of paper.

"... Depends on what you mean by fix. She won't walk again without help."

"Get to work then, otherwise she won't ever walk at all."

Meanwhile, Karakzon limped out into the dining room, which was mostly empty, with the exception of Wilberforce and a rather nervous looking peasant.

Wilberforce cheerily waved.

“Karakzon! Glad you could stop by. I trust your wounds have healed?”

“Yeah, sure. What do you need... Wilberforce, right?”

“Yes.” Wilberforce ignored the way that Karakzon had spoken. He had something else on his mind. “Tell me, my friend, while the battle was going on, did you see a certain dwarf? The one wielding an axe taller than his own self?” Karakzon considered the question, then nodded. “Did he look familiar to you?”

“Well, I don’t... Actually, yeah! He did! Looked a lot like old Derm. He was before your time here, o'course One of the founders, like me."

Wilberforce smiled, though he looked unhappy overall. “Thank you, Karakzon. You don’t do much to relieve my mind, but you do confirm a suspicion I have held for some time.”

“Eh?”

“I’m not quite sure how to explain it, actually. But I would like to meet with you, that dwarf Derm, and Neo, Balnash, Remalle, and... Di-2, soon. I have a few... questions to ask them."

"Nice significant pause, there."

"Thank you."

Next: More on Ghosts, More on Yaks

Did you dorf me?

I'm not sure. I'm having trouble finding your original request. Will keep looking.

Also, this thing has over 10,000 views?! Jeeze! I need to get back to regular updating! I do not want to disappoint.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 06, 2012, 09:38:19 pm »

Kingfisher, a doctor.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 06, 2012, 10:05:12 pm »

Also, this thing has over 10,000 views?! Jeeze! I need to get back to regular updating! I do not want to disappoint.

Merely a testament to the awesome that is Oceanbridge.

And now for even MORE references to The Black Company!

From the Second Book of Croaker

There were omens and portents enough. The gulls shat on all the statues of gods along the Bridge. A ball of yak fur was found in the stomach of a disemboweled strangler. The mighty Peacesprays left us, and shortly afterwards a yak calf was born. There were rumors of stones bleeding, trees rustling of their own volition when the sea breeze died down. We should have seen it coming.

In those days, I was in service to The Hatchet of Incidents. They had taken up residence in a previously abandoned sea fort by the name of Oceanbridge. Their task was to build a massive bridge from the island to the mainland, though why they'd want a bridge to this place was anyone's guess. To make things more interesting, the genius who comissioned the project decided it would be a better idea to start on the island, as opposed to the mainland where we could have the materials sent to us by supply train. But no, that would have made sense.

They call me Croaker. I'm a doctor. Not the best doctor in the world, but I've seen enough wounds and diseases in my time. I have five years of formal medical education and damn near forty years of experience. I've worked countless fortress hospitals and twice as many field hospitals. I've seen more good dwarves die to cholera and dysentery than to battlefield wounds, though the wounds far outnumbered the diseases. I'll let you guess why.

Today the laws of probability decided to go on strike. Goblins attacked, and were all caught in our traps. Save for one. That particular bastard went on to injure several dwarves, including some of Oceanbridge's finest, before Orcrist put him down. I had a busy day of caring for the dwarves who were injured in that little mishap. A miner with a busted leg decided he was afraid of doctors and wandered off before I could examine him. If that thing turns gangrenous, it'll be his own damned fault.

After I'd diagnosed all the wounded, I got Scientist Mk. II working surgery. I've done plenty of surgery before, but he seems to have a much steadier hand for it. Odd name, but then again, I've walked with countless armies and put up with all their idiosyncrasies. Scientist Mk. II isn't as bad as a sadistic sargeant called Mercy, or a bald guy everyone calls Curly. Or a doctor they call Croaker, for that matter.

In my time in the dining hall, I've heard talk of savage ghosts and forlorn haunts roaming the halls. This bears investigating. As I recall, two of the founders are still with us. I think I'll track them down and have them recount the history of the place. I could certainly use that for these Annals. Speaking of which, I'll have to get myself a good place to store the first volume before the sea air has its way with the pages. Maybe I can request a chest for my quarters or some such crap. Above all else, that book
must survive.

Dang. Haven't written like that in a while. Hope I captured some of Croaker's piss and vinegar. Sorry if it's a bit long-winded, I can cut down on length for future updates. Trying to tell the tale of Croaker, and get him more involved in fortress afairs if I can (and varnish feels it'll make for a good story).
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 07, 2012, 05:10:41 am »

That "ability to stand lost" isn't me, is it? How badly did the goblin wound my dwarf?

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 07, 2012, 08:41:33 am »

Walking is overrated anyway I say we give the dorf a dagger and let him pretend he's a corpse until goblins come and start stabbing them in the balls.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 07, 2012, 11:00:50 am »

That "ability to stand lost" isn't me, is it? How badly did the goblin wound my dwarf?
Aww, intrigue. Three injured female dwarves, one of them can't walk anymore. Who is it? Find out next time  ;)
However, if you reread the previous update, it comes clear already. I'm sorry my friend.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 07, 2012, 11:34:50 am »

I'm getting used to crippled dwarfs.

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 07, 2012, 01:35:07 pm »

man, what did you expect? it's a fucking bridge through the ocean, with tons of ambushes and ferric elves and children snatchers, and peace sprayed all over their skulls! we all here feel the urge to see the bridge completed, the evildoers vanquished, the sign that there's a place in this unforgiving world for a dorf to bring to life the mad blabberings of a power-crazy noble cow who hasn't met an incapacitating health hazzard... yet.
I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 07, 2012, 02:43:10 pm »

How did I manage to ignore this magnificent fort all this time? Dorf me as Slime, and let's make him a cook while we're at it. Haven't seen a lot of those.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 07, 2012, 11:03:36 pm »

((That was great, Rhaken! And it definitely helps me get a handle on the character. Also, Ishar isn't crippled. At least, no more crippled than she was before. Slime dwarfed in the next update.))

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished
, Autumn 198

Dear readers, these are the times that try dwarf’s souls. I’m not sure how they try them, but that’s how the saying goes, I believe. The hour for my “meeting” is coming up, and I can only hope that I’ve prepared adequately. I’ll have the answers in a day!

Beyond that, Oceanbridge is in a time of peace for once. I’ve walked the length of the bridge more three times this autumn, and each time the journey is longer. A good thing, of course, but hard on the legs. I lay down here a few notes from the season, for the edification of you, my readers.

Our local ghosts have become completely accepted parts of the landscape.

One walks into the dining room, nods to the spectral figure floating over the table, with a friendly smile says:

“Good day, Deler, I trust you are well?”

Deler, of course, responds with hideous tormented shrieking, as is his wont.

“Wonderful!”

And so on.

Roy had told me that she had been expending all of her efforts into training the new yak, just lately grown into bull, for the arts of war. She hasn’t had much luck. When confronted with a stuffed goblin carcass and told to maim, the poor beast merely lows pitifully and makes for the floor fungus. Perhaps Peacespray represented the whole martial prowess of the species! We should not have let him leave us.

And, one of those odd secretive moods came over a mason.

The fellow burrowed into a workshop and started demanding silk cloth. Once again, our stocks are low, and I fear for him. I suppose that if he survives, he might well become our next mayor.

So autumn passes, to the sound of soldiers training.

Then afterwards the sound of soldiers being told to stop hopping around like idiots, and really train. A few minor wounds have been suffered, but Anderson seems to have sorted out the armor issue, so all credit to the man there. We have a solid troupe of doctors, it seems, as I just met one named Kingfisher, a bone doctor by trade. She’s had a lot of practice these last few weeks.

Now I go to prepare for the meeting. For better or for worse, for sickness, health, and whatnot, I am going to get this settled.

Next: The Meeting, The Disappointing Consequences of Foreshadowing

((Writing the next update right now, but wanted to make sure I got something up here today. A busy day, because of partying. Also, for the yak: can you edit the raws to make something trainable without restarting?))
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 85