Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 176878 times)

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #525 on: December 29, 2011, 11:30:58 pm »

When are the rest of us fighting in the arena?
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 29, 2011, 11:36:46 pm »

I loved my story. Thanks for writing it!
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 30, 2011, 07:52:08 am »

yeah me too  :) i look forward to defend the fort against those who would wish The Bridge not done!
I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 30, 2011, 04:40:45 pm »

Great story here. Though the inevitable death of all it's characters makes me sad a bit. The better the story the sadder is ending.
By the way, I think that it's not honorary enough for the elder warriors who had fought real enemies to waste their time on such a games. Especially to prove themselves before some newcomer. The way of the warrior is not about entertaining the crowd. Consider this official position of Di-2 on this matter (assuming she's still alive).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:44:18 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 30, 2011, 07:22:57 pm »

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 30, 2011, 09:50:47 pm »

((Ok, some other dwarf stories and GENUINE ACTION next update. I got called in to work today. No time left, no time at all.))

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished

Well, dear readers, a month has passed since I was divested of power. That man Anderson has been keeping the whole fort running every which way with his “arena” nonsense, leaving the real work to those dwarfs still possessed of sense and sensibility. What do I mean, “real work?” Why, the bridge, of course!

Work has continued on said monstrosity since the day I arrived here, stopping only for want of resources. The original settlers might have made a great deal of mistakes while building, but at least they saw fit to protect the approach to their great project!

We added to those defenses, and work continues through siege and ambush.

From the causeway we move to the lovely green glass windows, which provide a distorted and, well, green view out over the merciless ocean, where waves crash against each other, blind and violent and indifferent. I find it quite relaxing, myself!

The span of the bridge itself has been constructed of blocks of all kinds, following the design pattern of “what the hell, let’s put it here.” The statues were not part of the original designer’s plan, I have heard, but as he is no longer among the living (so far as I know), I consider them a nice addition.

My own personal touch on the bridge was to add, here and there, small roofed outworks.

These provide a pleasant space for workers to rest, eat and drink while making the journey over the immense span. I can tell you myself that it’s a long and thirsty journey. Only pride and a sense of prejudice against comfort stopped the previous builders from doing likewise, I would say.

By my estimation, which should by no means be considered accurate, we have used some 1,543 blocks in the construction thus far, as well as 215 steel bars and 105 glass windows.

And still we build.

Next: GENUINE ACTION

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 31, 2011, 03:46:20 am »

215 steel bars for construction? That's hardcore. Nice update, good to know the bridge is going well.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 31, 2011, 09:37:04 am »

WOOOOT GO US! i just noticed the bridge would be a wonderful (plus dramatic) choke point for our troops to rally were they cutted from the fort during an attack. Maybe a couple traps on it could boost this tactical advantage? from my personal experience it pays to have traps not only in your corridors, but in your favourite points of engagement as well.

also I forgot:
Orcrist grinned. "Yes sir! I've been wanting to cleave a few goblins in two with my sword!"
I love you for that  :D i look forward to live up to my namesake
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:06:26 pm by SirFellfire »
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 01, 2012, 02:42:36 am »

The Scout returns! Again! Happy New year also.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 01, 2012, 05:11:56 am »

Merry new year and happy christmas and all that.

I am still reading and enjoying this. Even if I don't post much. Wondering what Roy's been up to, was thinking to suggest she get some animal traps and see about getting some tamed vermin for pets and dwarf snacks.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 01, 2012, 09:41:16 am »

((Happy new year to everyone who uses the gregorian calender! The next few updates will feature action! And most every named dwarf!))

Events of the Summer

Mr. Anderson postponed the arena tests for most of the summer; not for lack of caged creatures, but because the soldiers found themselves fighting a constant invasion from the depths.

More of the the eye creatures came first. Roy nearly lost her life to one of them as it slithered up the stairs, using its eye to blind her before setting down to attempt to feast. But eye creatures, terrifying though they might be, were no match for an infuriated war tiger.

Roy escaped with only minor scrapes.

After that, herds of elk birds and hordes of hungry heads soon joined the general melee. There were a lot of them, which meant a lot of fighting.

A trapper was wounded trying to reset a cage trap, so the army was ordered down into the caverns.

Fighting in the Depths

“Oh gods damn you!” Kogut screamed as the elk bird bore down on him. He’d killed one, only to have its brother come up behind him and break his upper leg with one strike from its hooves. He managed to roll away from the bird as it tried to trample him "I'm not going to die to some oversized horny chicken!"

Fortunately, Kogut wasn’t alone either.

“Take that, whatever the hell you are!” Ishar swung her silver mace in a near-perfect arc, shattering the monster’s skull from behind. It collapsed over Kogut, who groaned. “Sit still, husband. Someone’s going to be here soon to help, and it probably won’t be that Dr. Killpatient.” Kogut moaned again, then lost conciousness.

Balnash joined them, looking worried. “Ah, Ishar, I can’t help but notice that you... you dropped somethin’ back there.”

“I did? What?” She turned and looked where Balnash was pointing. Lying on the floor behind her was another baby.

“Oh!”

Next: Invasions from Above

((I've been having trouble deciding whose to do another background story for. I think I'll decide it at random))

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 01, 2012, 11:04:19 am »

lol now Ishar has another shield, that's what you call an opportunistic fighter!  :D

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 01, 2012, 01:31:11 pm »

lol now Ishar has another shield, that's what you call an opportunistic fighter!  :D
Another shield and a pair of strong dwarven hands!
Seriously, I saw a baby who was carried into battle by mother and he did some punches to troll's face.

((I've been having trouble deciding whose to do another background story for. I think I'll decide it at random))
Me! Take me!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 01, 2012, 06:59:41 pm »

a shield what can carry shields now what is protection

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 02, 2012, 11:07:55 am »

I probably won't have time for an update today (work, work, and more work) but a note of interest: I did some measuring, and the bridge is now slightly beyond the halfway point! (Fer real this time) And I finally got the magma pumps cleaned out and rebuilt, so that part should see some real progress soon, too!

Things are moving forward! (Slowly)
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 85