Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 177087 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #360 on: November 28, 2011, 03:12:22 am »

DF: room filled with gold is an unpleasant surprise.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 28, 2011, 03:36:39 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 28, 2011, 03:56:35 am »

A group of three other refugees found our new home
Bayar and Derm are only two not three ;D
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 28, 2011, 08:44:52 am »

is it just me, or does the style of drawing seem similar to Cyanide & Happiness?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 28, 2011, 08:51:42 am »

is it just me, or does the style of drawing seem similar to Cyanide & Happiness?
Looks like that. I found it here http://www.freegameaccess.com/play-9-doors.htm
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 28, 2011, 06:24:24 pm »

Lets remove the goblins in the bloodiest way possible.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 28, 2011, 08:32:14 pm »

((Man, we aren't going to kill the goblins. The goblins are my bros! ... Oh, fine. We won't kill them yet.))

The Attack of Sted Heartlegends the Godly Crevices:

The forgotten beast (hardly forgotten now) finally came ashore in mid-autumn, while Bayar and Neo were on patrol on the walls. A shouted warning was all it took to get the gate closed , and after that the two soldiers watched with curiosity as the monster rampaged up and down the empty beach. It stopped when a group of goblins spotted it.

A fast and violent fight followed. Neo and Bayar kept up a running commentary.

“Now that’s interesting. I’ve never seen something like that before.” Bayar pointed with his mace.

“You mean, a goblin, flying through the air after being punted by a huge monster made out of ash glaze?” Neo watched as the goblin came down, wincing as it crashed (or perhaps “burst” was more appropriate) on the beach.

“Yeah, that.”

“Not many people have, I think.” They watched as another goblin followed the second.

The fight finally turned around when Jirdo and Oxul, the human scavengers, joined in. Neo heard one of them yell “Damn it, you’re not getting my mugs!”

The beast shook them off, but the distraction lasted just long enough for one of the goblins the strike a hard blow right to the things midsection. To the amazement of everyone involved, the goblin’s scimitar cracked right through the monster’s surface, setting off an explosion of ash and dust.

When it cleared, the monster lay in pieces on the beach. The goblin who'd killed the thing scrambled up onto one of the pieces, and, waving toward the fortress, shouted "Bosa! Bosa!"

Neo almost applauded, despite himself. "These are some pretty damn useful goblins."

He had started down the stairs when he happened to glance down the beach. He saw a small group of dwarfs making their way through the wreckage that still littered the shore. "More migrants?" he thought.

Next: The Story of Two Survivors.

((also, I miscounted the migrants last time. Soon, however, dwarfs for everyone))

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 28, 2011, 08:46:53 pm »

Bosa, Bosa
Dungeon? Dungeon?
Odd Victory Cry...
Anyway redwarf me as
Name: Profesor.Featherlog
Same job as Garry, except he wants to examine every sentient being known to dwarf....(He was Gary's uncle)
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 29, 2011, 02:21:32 pm »

TAKE THE LEMONS BACK, GOBLINS!

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 01, 2011, 03:17:43 pm »

Don't die on me, Oceanbridge!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 01, 2011, 09:41:02 pm »

((It's not dead. Just restin'. Less going on in this post than I intended. Ah well.))

Two Survivors Arrive

It was the largest meeting held in Oceanbridge since it had been reclaimed. As there were only fourteen dwarfs there, it wasn’t large at all. Voices echoed off the mud covered walls in the huge old dining room.

Wilberforce had called the meeting after first speaking to the new arrivals, whose names were Balnash and Remalle, at the front gates. They had arrived, filthy and exhausted, barely alive. Which was how the other migrants had arrived, and how most of the inhabitants felt. But when Balnash had informed Wilberforce that he and Remalle came from Oceanbridge, and had been there when things fell apart, he decided it was worth a meeting, at least.

“Tell all, Balnash. We are all aquiver with anticipation.”

Balash was uncomfortable, not used to so much attention. “Ain’t too much to say. Most of us who stayed sane just kept down and tried to keep livin’ when things got bad. The place was horrible, no one was in control, and you didn’t dare step up to the upper levels for fear some mason might bash in your brains. Happened to a guy right in front of me, in fact. I got to be honest, I wasn’t sure of myself at that point.”

“And well, it got to be that there were bodies lying everywhere, and no one with the will to do a damn thing anymore. Aban and Gar and the rest had just up and abandoned us. So I picked up my spear, drug this guy out of bed,” here Balnash pointed to Remalle,“ and left myself. We’ve been hidin’ out in the jungles since then, survivin’ on what we could find.” He spat. “You get damn sick of monkey after a while, let me tell you.”

Wilberforce interrupted him. “So, you tell me that my dear cousin Aban and others might still be among the living?”

Balnash shrugged. “Don’t know. And since they just left me and the others to die, I don’t much care.”

Remalle spoke for the first time after that. “I’m sorry I can’t add anything much. I was unconscious most of the time. But I think the gods might have cursed this place. The old mayor tried to ban the worship of Rakust... and after that, everything went wrong.”

“A curse?” Wilberforce looked thoughtful, then shrugged. “Curses will have to wait. For now, I’d like a tour of the old grounds, once you two fellows get your energy back. Don’t worry about drink, we’ve got plenty of the stuff to fill you with vim and perhaps even vinegar.”

“What?”

The Scout took Balnash and Remalle in hand. "Come on, I'll show ya to the booze room. We got piles of the stuff. We'll get drunk for a damn week, and then..." he smiled "Then we'll really start drinking. Welcome back."

Several Days Later: An Excerpt from the Tour

“And that exceptionally deep well just west of the burial chambers?”

“That’s the magma pump stack, I’m thinkin’, or what there was of it-“

Peregar had followed along with the tour. When he heard that, his eyes went wide. “You people built a magma pump stack? Why didn’t you mention that before! I have to see this!”

“You’ll need some pumps to pump out the water first, Peregar- Ah, never mind. Watch that man go.” Peregar had already left the room. “We won’t see him back for days. What about those pumps up above, that lead to grates?”

Balnash scratched his head. “I think that was the baths?”

“Baths! Truly a place of wonders, this!” While Balnash was trying to figure out if that was sarcasm, Wilberforce continued, “So, you say this place fell to a curse? Well, I enjoy a good thrilling story as much as anyone, but I’m not one to let a curse bother me. We stay, and we build and damned be the fellows who say no. That’s the code of the Ropenourished family.”

“Strange code.”

The next morning Bayar was woken up by a loud scream. This kind of thing wasn’t normal (yet), so he was out of his bed and into the dining room in a matter of seconds.

What he saw left him breathless. Neo was on the floor next to a table, his back twisted into a painful looking position. He was moaning, proving that at least he was still alive.

Standing over him was an odd transparent, dwarf-like shape. It turned to face him, and Bayar saw a face distorted by hatred and malice. Then the shape dissipated, fading into the floor and the walls.

“What the hell was that?”

As he did his best to pick Neo off the floor, Bayar didn't notice a second figure drift out of the wall, and follow after him.

Dwarfs:

((You may notice some slight differences in Balnash and Remalle. No doubt the trauma they experienced was so great that in echoed backwards on their own personal timelines, changing not only personality, but age, professions and beliefs. That's my explanation, anyway.))

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 02, 2011, 01:32:43 am »

Balnash, you saved me!  My hero <3

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 02, 2011, 02:25:08 am »

Oh. I just realized - if we had to punch through aquifer upon first embark, then after reclaim whole lower fortress is flooded? or what?

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 02, 2011, 06:51:49 am »

That never happened to me, and I reclaimed forts plenty of times.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 02, 2011, 09:42:43 am »

Violent ghosts are funny. But, I don't want people to be beaten to death with their own arms.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 85