Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180454 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #330 on: November 24, 2011, 07:41:34 am »

trudge through. every great fortress worth its salt comes to its knees due to tantrumn spirals. you must trudge through dear gentle dwarf, survive and bring oceanbridge up again!
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 24, 2011, 08:15:48 am »

"for there are many storms before us, some of them may even reduce us to ash, but like a phoenix, the dwarven forts shall rise out of their ashes and be more magnificen than they ever were!"

-some guy, once upon a time in the 1900s.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 24, 2011, 08:54:12 am »

I just love that gauntlet: maligned fool, made out of soapmaker, priceless.
If it's time for me to make redorfing request, I'd like to ask either military axedorf or captain of guard if that position becomes vacant armed with that gauntlet. Di-X, an assassin cyborg sent to Oceanbridge from future to kill one particular dwarf, however after drinking too much he/she forgot who exactly was marked for death, so Di hopes that by delivering beatings she/he will eventually kill right dwarf.  :D
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 24, 2011, 09:00:04 am »

Yep, gauntlet is awesome.
When the king arrives, make him the captain of guard and make him equip this gauntlet. He'll rule with dwarf bone fist!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 24, 2011, 08:43:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The battered remains of the army of Oceanbridge met in the crypt, these days. Bayar was still alive, though he had a broken arm from a confrontation with a berserk cook, and Cilob, Heavy Weapons Guy, and Balnash.

Guy was talking. “We just got to hold on for a bit longer. There’s bound to be some migrants comin’ soon. We’ll keep them safe, keep ‘em away from the mad ones. Then we’ll rebuild.”

Cilob looked worried, even more so than she had for a while. “I’m just not sure. We haven’t had migrants for over a year. Even with all the sieges, that seems strange. Maybe-“

She was interrupted as Alkhemia, the mason, broke down the door to the outer crypt. He was panting heavily, his eyes glazed over and drool dripping through his beard. And he had, significantly, a large granite stone gripped in his hand.

“Right!” Heavy Weapons Guy roared. “This fellow is mine!” He brought up his crossbow, but Alkhemia, blind with madness and rage, batted it aside without breaking stride, and with his other fist knocked Guy to the ground.

Cilob could only watch in horror as Alkhemia then brought the rock down on Guy’s head, crushing his skull and killing him instantly. Then the insane mason turned on her.

She might not have survived if Balnash hadn’t regained some of his wits, and run Alkhemia through with his bronze spear.

The three of them looked over the carnage. Cilob was shaking, and she covered Guy’s body with a piece of cloth. The best she could do now. They had long since run out of coffins. She shook her head. “He was a damn good soldier, you know? For all that he was odd, he was one of the best.

Two more dead, and it was only midsummer.

More died as summer wore on. Ten in the early summer, seven in Mid-Summer, and thirteen as the season drew to a close.

No one seemed immune. Some were calling it a curse, whether from Rakust or some other offended god didn't seem to matter.

Lokum Tells a Story, of Sorts:

Out of the seven who had founded Oceanbridge, only four were still alive and still somewhat in control of themselves. Aban, Gar, Nix, and Karakzon were meeting for what Aban suspected might be the last time. In unspoken agreement, they had got together in the old main hall, and from there tracked down the (now former) mayor, Lokum Gemkiss. If he was still alive. He certainly wasn't sane anymore.

The once dapper and smiling dwarf was now a babbling wreck, curled up in a corner of one of the furnace rooms. But after Gar applied a few “convincing arguments” to the man’s chest, they managed to get... something resembling answers.

“It... it wasn’t my fault, you know. I was just doing what... what was best for everyone. The queen, she hasn’t been seen in three years, and no one has heard anything from any.... anywhere at all! There aren’t any left, I think.”

“Any what?” Gar shouted, before Aban told him to be quiet. Lokum hardly noticed.

“Something happened, I know. I thought... if everyone was distracted, they wouldn’t find out, they wouldn’t think that everything had gone wrong... Wouldn‘t wonder why there were no migrants. Just a little distraction, after all, no one really cares about the gods that much! But that damn Cog talked to a merchant... That’s what went wrong. That’s where it must have all gone wrong. I don't know if there's anyone left, anyone at all. But I couldn't let it get out or... everything might have fallen apart. Everything fell apart.” He whimpered, and then curled up on the floor, and went silent.

Gar stared at the sad remains of the former mayor for a minute, then turned to Aban. "That was useless. The babblings of a maniac, I'd say."

Aban nodded. "Well, he was mad, I think. But he might have told us something. Now it's just a matter of what we're going to do about it."

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties

Well, journal, this might be the last time I write anything here. Or write anything at all, really. That’s cheerful, isn’t it! Well, so is madness.

The mayor revealed his plan to me, shortly before he went mad. (Cheerful!) Five dwarfs, with Bayar as a leader were locked into a room with food and booze. The idea is that they might survive, split off from the rest of us. Now, I’d say that I’m a tad bit upset about being stuck out here as “the rest”, but the mayor stayed out too. One point to his credit.

But it didn’t work. The ones we put it there succumbed to the same madness that killed Turk and Person. That leaves five or so of us still sane.

It’s summer now. The elves left, and the ape-men are gone as well. This is probably the only chance we’ll get.

And that’s it, really. Gar, the children, (at least, the ones I can find) and the others who have managed to hold onto their sanity are leaving. We’ll take our luck out there on Nightmare Island, which really has turned out to be an appropriate name. If we can, we’ll make for the mountainhomes, and find out if what that damned idiot Lokum told us is really true. At least, I will. Not sure if any of the others are going to follow me.

And I’m leaving this book here. If we don’t make it, at least there will be some record of what happened here at Oceanbridge.

I hope there’s still a home to go back to.

End of Part One

((As I said, I only did this because I think there's no choice. I do plan to reclaim. I'm sorry if this is disappointing.))

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 24, 2011, 09:18:05 pm »

How dead was I?
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 25, 2011, 02:03:16 am »

Ha! Gar was the sanest dwarf in this madness! I'm proud of him.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 25, 2011, 03:17:16 am »

Is it possible to show full list of alive dwarves? (Before abandoning)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:06:44 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 25, 2011, 03:53:58 am »

In such an event, I have prepared myself. AHGNYAADA *Heavy death cry.* Anyways, in the reclaim redwarf me as a hammerdwarf named THE SCOUT.

Edit: What of the arena?!

Another edit: I would make a Tvtropes page of this, but I have no idea how to do that.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 03:58:12 am by Masked_Hunter1825 »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 25, 2011, 09:33:34 am »

You know, I forgot this is fortress defense mod and migrants either get slaughtered at the edge of map or simply do not come due to sieges. Guess reclaim is more than acceptable in this case. By the way what exactly happened to those five locked away and whats up with those suffocations?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 25, 2011, 10:01:56 am »

Is it possible to show full list of alive dwarves? (Before abandoning)

Not sure of the exact list, but the named dwarfs I remember were as follows:

Gar
Karakzon
Balnash
Nix
Aban
Remalle (remarkably. Perhaps the fact that he was still crippled and bed-ridden helped)

And that's it. Let me add that all of them were miserable, and wounded in some way, from the various fights. Gar was the only one still willing to work. There weren't more than two or three others still sane, named or unnamed.

By the way what exactly happened to those five locked away and whats up with those suffocations?

The five locked away either went mad or died. The suffocation I'm not sure of, but I have my suspicions...

Working on how to approach the reclaim, story-wise, right now.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 25, 2011, 10:04:41 am »

Dibs on mechanic/architect in reclaim party!

Name him.. well.. Peregar =)

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 25, 2011, 02:58:49 pm »

Can i get dwarfed as a profesional hero potash maker? in a migrant wave ofcourse

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 25, 2011, 09:58:52 pm »

If you get a hammerdwarf or bring one on reclaim, I'd like to be dorfed as Dr. KillPatient. I see his character as very intelligent, but eccentric and anti-authority. Why he signed up for the military (or maybe he didn't), I'm not sure. Perhaps he isn't quite certain either.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 25, 2011, 10:21:02 pm »

Axedwarf. Male. G. NAO.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 85