Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 176879 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

Man, that's unfortunate.  You had a good long run, though.  Any chance of a Greatbridge III sometime in the future?  :P

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

Man, that's unfortunate.  You had a good long run, though.  Any chance of a Greatbridge III sometime in the future?  :P

I think after this chaos, varnish would want to avoid doing a third. But it would be intersting to see a chronicle of an adventurer dealing with the bridge
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There might be a Third attempt in the future, yeah. I want to finish one of these some day, somehow. See how much of mess I can make of things in the new version whenever it comes out.

I would change up a lot of things probably, though. Like actually come up with a design for the bridge beforehand! Now that would be fancy.

I'm trying to think of a way to give this one a conclusion, because I like closure of some kind.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile

Guy in the lead getting haunted by ghosts going insane, Tantrum Spiral, 7 survivors leave to start another bridge somewhere?

Also, if this happens, dibs on Oh Belgium being a survivor. :P

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

Guy in the lead getting haunted by ghosts going insane, Tantrum Spiral, 7 survivors leave to start another bridge somewhere?

Also, if this happens, dibs on Oh Belgium being a survivor. :P
+1
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, that is one idea.

I need to find a mod similar to the fortress defense mod, though. The newer mods all change too much about the game: I need vanilla gameplay with added enemies.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

Hey, what about Blood for Armok? (shameless plug) It adds two new enemies, three if you count the fire imps.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Respect, I know that making a mod is a lot of work, but it just doesn't seem like the right fit.

Working on a final entry for this one. Hopefully it will be up by tomorrow or the next day.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Wait, fire imps were removed? :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((i dunno))

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties:

Well, this is it.

I have quite a lot that I want to get down, and a very short time to write it in, so I'll have to cover the basics quickly. Remember that tunnel we were digging under the ocean? That tunnel was an enormous success, in that it reached the opposite shore long before the bridge. Unfortunately, it turned out that all of the enemies of Oceanbridge had gathered there. Goblins, naturally, along with the frost giants, the walking dead, and bird men and ape men, and of course those strange undead goat men. The whole menagerie. And they all came down the tunnel and into the fortress. I'd ask how they new that our tunnel would come out there, but I'm sure I know.

But it led to running, panic, and all of that usual fun. I've written about it so many times, do I really need to write it again? How many times can one dwarf write about a fortress falling to disaster?

Why am I still alive to write this? Well of course, some of us are very good at running now, and there's still the safe room. Those of who made it in here in time (or at least, the one's who I know the names of) are: Remalle, Gar, Ishar, Di, the Soldier, Neo, Naithal (At least, I think he's back. How many Naithal's have we had?) Slime, Croaker, the mayor, (Whose name I'm not going to write down), a few others. Enough to make it clear that there aren't many of us left.

I talked to Remalle about everything that's happened. I don't know if he's really all that sane now, but he told me more about that future he says he saw, where Rakust had gone mad. Driven mad, he told me, by the Bridge itself, the Bridge being both a symbol of and a prison for the god. And how he thought that Bomrek, the goddess of Fortresses, had gone mad ages ago when the mountainhomes were built, for the same reasons. That she had started this whole thing by driving the queen mad, and making us start to build this bridge so many years ago. It all made my head spin, and the worst of it is that he thinks that horrible future will still happen, because we failed, somehow.

Yeah, we talked for a long time. I don't know how much of it is true. I do know that there's something pounding at the door of the saferoom that sounds a lot like a frost giant (yes, I know what a frost giant pounding at the door of a saferoom sounds like). I suppose it's time to put this book down, and face up to the whatever the gods have in store for us.

The dwarfs of Oceanbridge were huddled in a small group, behind a pillar in the saferoom, away from the slowly breaking door. Remalle was absentmindedly carving a stone slab in memory of a farmer he'd watched die in the latest attack. Neo was cleaning his sword and preparing for (yet another) death. And Aban was writing, as she had been since the very first day in Oceanbridge.

Gar meanwhile had been watching her write in silence, and then in growing frustration, before he finally just shouted , "So, why the hell aren't we leaving out the back way yet?"

Remalle stopped carving, Aban stopped writing and everyone in the room stared at him as he glared right back. "There's a back way?"

Gar rolled his eyes. "Of course there's a damn back way! You think I'd design a safe room without a back way out? How long have you people known me? Goes right out into the jungles. You can all die here if you want, I know you're all great at that, but I haven't died once yet, and I don't intend to start now."

Aban spoke slowly, a strange new idea entered her head. "You mean, we can just leave? Abandon the whole thing?"

"Of course, why not?"

Remalle shook his head, "Aban, if we abandon the bridge forever, that means-"

"I know what it means, but..." And that was when Aban finally realized something important. "Ok, forget the bridge, forget everything. Let's get the hell out of here. A bunch of insane gods can fight over this ruin till the end of time for all I care. I'm... I'm done with this. This is the door, back here?" She pointed at a patch of off color marble in the wall, near where Gar was standing. He nodded.

"But, Aban, we need to stop them somehow, now, otherwise things will just get worse everywhere! Don't you believe what I said?"

Aban shrugged, and with a gentle push, she opened the door leading to the escape tunnel. It swung open easily, and brought the scent of salt water with it. It felt right. "Well... you know what? I think we've done enough. I mean, look at this place. Look at how huge and confusing and awful it is. Do you know what I think that means? That means that this is the mountainhomes now, and up there is... most of a bridge. Those are they symbols, right? That's got to be worth something. You said in the future you saw, the bridge collapsed when the fortress fell. Well, it hasn't, and I don't think it will. Those stupid gods want us to stay here and follow their insane plans, but... we have changed things, Remalle, somehow. That future won't happen. I admit, the new future might not be better... but we aren't going to find out about it here. I'm going. The rest of you can follow me if you want to."

"That makes not one damn bit of sense."

"Shut up, Gar." Aban turned her back on the saferoom, and with one deep breath, she walked through the door. She turned back, and said "Come on, people. Let's go. We're done here."

And they all followed her.

Remalle did too, though he was the last one to leave. There was something he had to do, something that had somehow become his task. He had to remember.

He looked around the room, at the marble and microcline walls, covered all over with the strange history of Oceanbridge. There was the many deaths of Derm, the Soulchopper. There was Peacespray, the greatest soldier the fortress had know. The forgotten beasts were there too, even the one who had nearly killed Remalle himself so many years ago. Various mad mayors and their individual downfalls, dwarfs running from the bridge and dwarfs returning to it. A engraved image of Wilberforce leading a charge against the apemen, and of Ishar killing a frost giant with her bare hands. Gar and his magma pumps, and so many others that only he remembered, from Karakzon to Guy, from Turk to Person to Nix. The mad queen, long dead and forgotten along with the Mountainhomes. And of course, Rakust and a bridge, over and over.

He took it all in, and then, on a whim, carved a few more quick lines into the floor. They weren't much, but it had to mean something. It all had to mean something, even in the end.

And then he ran.

((That's all))

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

A fitting end for such an epic tale. At least someone survived to tell the story of what happened, and you know Remalle won't give up on his dream...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

Hell yeah.
We'll build a new Oceanbridge for ourselfes, with climbing and multi-tile trees!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile

Praise be to the mighty Oceanbridges!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hell yeah.
We'll build a new Oceanbridge for ourselfes, with climbing and multi-tile trees!

Oceanbridge would not have lasted one year in this new version. Hiding behind walls and hoping the problem would go away was my main defense. Now I may have to actually make an organized military.

I just wanted to thank all of you for reading this thing for so long. Eventually I'm going to try something again, but I've got no idea when.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

Hell yeah.

Oceanbridge would not have lasted one year in this new version. Hiding behind walls and hoping the problem would go away was my main defense. Now I may have to actually make an organized military.

I just wanted to thank all of you for reading this thing for so long. Eventually I'm going to try something again, but I've got no idea when.
Don't worry, just bring more yaks.
As for next try, better wait for Toady to fix most of bugs.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85