Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 177078 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Oh, hello there))

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties:

Well, I can't even guess the last time I wrote anything in this! Months ago, I think. I remember I had a plan... Something I was going to try to get Remalle to do. But whatever it was, it's gone now. Gone gone gone, and forgotten, in a wave of endless bloodshed.

But for once, it wasn't all our blood. No, we have finally, finally, finally cleared the bridge completely of goblins, ogres, and all the other assorted creatures that liked to sit around and kill us. And it only took about five straight months of fighting, which I was involved in, I think. My memory of the whole thing is hazy. Like a haze of blood, which is most of what I remember.

Of course, we lost quite a few people.

Including the newly promoted Naithal, who I do remember going down fighting. Literally. He dove into an axegoblin, and the two of them fell off the bridge together, fighting all the way down.

A bunch of Ogres were knocked into the ocean too, where in defiance of all logic, they're still alive.

Still swimming around in the waves, looking quite happy. I don't understand.

But in the end, it wasn't all that bad. Certainly not compared to, say, every other battle fought in Oceanbridge. About ten deaths for all that fighting? We can survive that. Any number of them might be back some day, besides. And we have our bridge back.

So, now there's only one thing to do. Build.

Next: It Depends.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

woah

hi there

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

Well lookie here! The master bridge builder's are returning!
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

• Bay Watcher
  • 10^9
    • View Profile

Do my eyes deceive me?
Oceanbridge alive again?

Yay!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

The Bridge! Gar is itching to test some of his new designs!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I can't promise anything regular, but I am working on things again. And I'm just so glad to finally see all of those goblins gone. Also, here is some information about people, ie:))

Who Is Still Alive?

Remalle, of course, was still among the living. Though considering he was surrounded by ghosts most of the time, “among the living” wasn't exactly the right term.

Ishar too had survived the fighting (mainly because she had got lost in the tunnels on the way to the battle), and was taking a well deserved break in one of the cleaner rooms in Oceanbridge.

Against all odds, Di-III had not... been killed. Now that the bridge was safe, he and a lot of other dwarfs were busy scouring the surface for anything useful. And for bodies to bury, of course.

Neo had led the army across the bridge from the front, fighting ferociously for five straight months. Now he was asleep. Very, very deeply asleep. No one was too worried about waking him up for a while.

Oh belgium, the mayor, was on break. From what, no one could say. It was better not to ask.

Balnash and the Soldier had survived the battle, and now were making sure that everyone else did as well. There were a lot of very hungry, very thirsty dwarfs on the bridge.

As for the rest, Croaker, Firehawk, Billon, Riczo, Notenome and Slime were all alive as well, and working alongside Di-III to salvage anything worth salvaging. It was a busy time.

And of course, Gar had survived. Gar always survived.

((Not everyone gets a screenshot because they're all hauling stuff off the bridge, and how many screenshots of that do you need? But I hope that covers everyone. I guess I can start dwarfing and redwarfing people too.))

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

And of course, Gar had survived. Gar always survived.
Hell yeah! Gar is a luckiest bastard ever lived here.

Let others be busy with burials and stockpiles, Gar has more important work to do. Repairing the pumpstack, for example. Beware of cavern beasts, and block any unwanted access to the machinery - that's the safety rules that must be obeyed!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)
« Reply #1207 on: February 02, 2014, 02:05:57 am »

((just to show that I am working on this steadily))

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties

And just like that, things are moving forward again.

Well, moving forward as much as they can, considering how everything is still a horrific mess, there's at least twenty people still wounded, and ghosts are still roaming the halls. The rest of the world is, as far as anyone can tell, still falling apart, and I still don't have any clue about what to do about that. At any moment another army of apemen, or bird things, or I guess giants could come and start the siege all over again. The depths of the fortress, and the old magma pump stacks are still flooded, we've still got goblins and ape men locked away in various out of the way rooms, someone's been hearing strange noises from the caverns that might be another horrible monstrosity coming to kill us all, the gods themselves seem have gone insane and are either trying to destroy us or help us, I'm not sure which, death itself seems to have gone wrong, and I've lost my favorite mug.

But I placed a new block in the bridge today, and that means we're moving forward.

Next: Unusual Visitors

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)
« Reply #1208 on: February 07, 2014, 01:31:51 am »

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties:

Nothing is happening. Every day I go out to work on the bridge, and I wait for everything to fall apart, and every day, all that happens is nothing. Oh, there are still a few goblins scattered around, like I mentioned before. They're mainly in the old arena, and the soldiers like to take potshots at them, but that's still nothing.

What can I record in here? Well, one the soldiers had a kid today! A baby girl, it seems. Yet another child running around underfoot, I guess.

Huh. You know, I can't even begin to imagine what a child would think of this place.

A Conversation

"Hello there, Aban my dear friend!"

Aban threw down her pen, wondering for the thousandth time why she hadn't had Gar make a lock for her office door. "What? Oh, Mayor, um, Belgium... What do you want."

The mayor was smiling, and bouncing from one foot to the other (For no reason, of course). "I just wanted to remind you that no one has made me any fine flatware, so I might have to have someone tortured soon, and that there's a whole bunch of friendly merchants waiting to see you!"

"Look, I still don't really know what flatware is and... Did you say merchants? That's impossible. It's autumn. The humans always come in the summer."

"There are dwarfs! Just like us! Not like me, of course, but just like you!"

Aban ignored that, as she was to busy muttering to herself, "There are still other dwarfs out there? Where the hell did these people come from?"

Next: Things Happen (Slowly)

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 12, 2014, 12:00:08 am »

My god, it's still alive! Every time I take a break from DF and come back a few months later, this fort is still alive. This must be how the goblins feel.

From the Thoughts of the Deceased Nathail, Animal Trainer and Soldier of Oceanbridge

...Aaaaand I'm dead. Again. Still, that was a hell of a death. I hope someone saw me tackle that goblin. Hell, I even managed to put some holes in him on the way down! Although he did leave a bigger one where some of my head was supposed to be. I think he may have actually rewired something before actually killing me, I feel a lot more sure of myself than before. Maybe that's just what happens when you do something like that. I dunno, the most impressive thing I've ever done was tame a giant louse back before I ever came to Oceanbridge. I still feel all crawly sometimes. Well, used to. I don't feel anything now...

...A caravan? A dwarven caravan? Here? I thought we were the only body of dwarven governance around! Hmm. Anyway, that weird mayor seems to be causing problems for Aban, and given how she seems to be the sanest dwarf around, I'll have to see if I can do anything about it. Maybe if I follow the mayor, I'll be able to find something that can get 'em kicked out of office. Of course, actually telling anyone will be hard. Perhaps I can tell that one guy all the other ghosts talk to. Remalle, I think? He seems mostly rational, and I know ghosts can talk to him...

Urist McEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I like german.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 12, 2014, 09:56:07 pm »

It's alive? It's alive!

I saw this back when it first began, and I kinda lurked, read for awhile, then forgot about it. Good on ya, Oceanbridge.
Also, if you've got wooden furniture in the dining hall, you have some big issues anyways.
This is Dwarf Fortress, not the Fluffy Wambler Express.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 13, 2014, 12:44:32 am »

It's only been 2 and a half years, the bridge will be finished in no time!
I just started reading this from the start again. Good times.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 16, 2014, 01:31:08 am »

It's only been 2 and a half years, the bridge will be finished in no time!
I just started reading this from the start again. Good times.

I will finish this bridge, even if it takes me until the final version of dwarf fortress is released! (There, that's a promise that I think I can keep)

Working on an update for tomorrow hopefully.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 16, 2014, 05:46:26 am »

BELGIUM RETURNS.

FROM THE DIARY OF MAYOR OH BELGIUM THAT ELEPHANT LOOKS HUNGRY

HUZZAH! After much lying around being a noble figurehead for our fair city (could we call it that, in this state...?), I had a brilliant idea! I was swinging a spoon around, listening to the whooshy-air noises, when I decided to put a bit of cave moss in and throw it. And I realised that we could use it to weaponise the fine pewter! Time to find Gar.

GOOD DAY, DIARY-Oh belgium that elephant looks hungry

(attached to the diary is a masterful drawing of a minecart shotgun in which the cart is first thrown off of a roof and runs over a goblin, and only then delivers its cargo of pewter plates)

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 16, 2014, 05:07:54 pm »

Requesting a dwarfing as Urist the Soon to be Corpse, millitary.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 85