Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180225 times)

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2011, 11:49:06 am »

Pit prisoners into the blood. Other than that do not so much as look at the blood unless you want children's feet rotting off and people's eyeballs exploding. Needless to say my past experience with deadly blood has made "deadly" an understatement.

Anyway could I get dorfed in the next migrant wave?

Shino/Shina, swordsdwarf. Batshit crazy nephew/niece to the queen who was sent here either as punishment or came out of boredom after hearing news of the recent attack. If you don't like that or have a large enough military I'll settle for a grumbling furnace operator/metalcrafter working down in the magma forges. Wonderful job so far, looking forward to seeing how the supports work out! And I can't wait to see the finished ‼☼Bridge☼‼
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2011, 12:08:45 pm »

*Shakes head* Tell me. Where did we go so wrong? Also, can you give Heavy weapons guy an iron crossbow, or a artifact crossbow if one shows up?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2011, 04:16:36 pm »

The Third Fortress-Wide Meeting of Oceanbridge: Late Summer 193

“The… um, third? Yes, third or so annual meeting of Oceanbridge will come to order!”

Aban looked around the main hall. It was filled to the walls with dwarfs, all talking at the same time, it seemed. And none of them were looking at her. She sighed. It was a lot harder to get the attention of eighty-five people than it should be. She hoisted herself onto a table, and shouted “Hey! Listen to me, damn it!”

That got some attention. Or at least people were looking at her now. “Ok. Let’s get this meeting started shall we? First order of business is an official commendation for the militia, especially Cilob, Guy, and Cog, for killing the giant bird thing. And one for Nix, Karakzon, and Di for blocking off the corpse so quickly. Apparently the things blood is still sizzling.”

Aban shuffled her papers. “Let’s see. Next order of business is… someone’s called for an election? Well, that can’t be right. Who would we have an election for?”

“If you will excuse me for a moment, Aban. I believe you will find that the Expedition Charter provides that, should the new fortress reach a certain population or measure of wealth determined by the aforementioned charter, or should a significant percentage of the population lose confidence in the leadership capabilities of their, ah, leader, then an election may be called by three or more-"

“Lose confidence? Excuse me, but-“

“That is one of the possible reasons, yes. To continue; By three or more persons of greater than Master skill in their chosen craft. In which case all persons who have reached the appropriate age are, in fact, required to vote, and even stand in the election if they so choose. Er, to put it formally of course.” The dwarf who had interrupted Aban suddenly seemed aware that everyone was looking at her. She held up a stack of papers. "Look, it's all right here. I didn't just make all that up off the top of my head!"

“Well, I guess that’s... I mean, it is in the Charter, you're right, so… What was your name again? Mormota?”

The crafter, who was standing  a few rows down holding her own stack of documents waved and said, “Yes, that's me! I’ve been reading the charter, you know, out of curiosity. Some very strange things in here. Regardless, since someone brought it up, it means we have to hold the election.”

“Well, if we have to…” Before Aban even completed the sentence, the shouting started.

“Vote for me! As mayor, I’ll mandate the production of beer!”

“We already make that, all the time.”

“Then I’ll mandate  good beer!”

“Vote for me, and I’ll bring dignity and solid dwarf values back to…” The office seeker turned to Aban, who was still looking stunned. “Hey, I’m new here. Where do you run this place from?”

“Um, that chair. Over in the corner.”

“I’ll bring dignity back to the Oak Chair!”

The election was held that day, with typical dwarf enthusiasm. That is, everyone got roaring drunk,  Gar and Nerev designed a new and more efficient ballot box, (made from two mechanisms and a huge serrated blade), and everyone went to sleep not sure of what had happened.

The results were counted the next day, and were somewhat surprising.

Next: Murder, Migrants, and Sacrificial Horse Foals.

((working through a backlog of events right now. More soon, hopefully))

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2011, 09:47:29 pm »

((everyone loves a double post!))

Late Summer, 193

Person’s first month in office was uneventful. The aquifer pumps were dismantled and rebuilt as bathing pumps, in order to clean any one who might have been infected by Ostrug’s blood. Heavy Weapons Guy, whose leg had already healed, described the experience as “a delightfully brutal cleansing”. It seemed to work, but Gar felt he could improve the design so that it wouldn't nearly drown the dwarf using it.

Ostrug’s blood was the source of several projects. While there was no sign that it was actually dangerous, most of the dwarfs felt safer with the whole area blocked off. That didn’t mean a curious dwarf couldn’t say, push a spare horse foal down into the pit where the body lay, just to see what might happen.

Nothing did.

Early Autumn, 193

Person had set up his new office in the lower levels, near a nice seam of gold that he was fond of. There should be some perks to the office of mayor, and he figured that actually having his own private office, rather than a chair in the main hall, could be one of them.

He had been at his desk, working on paperwork for a few hours, (paperwork! Say what you like about Aban, but at least she enjoyed working with the stuff) when he heard the door open. He looked up, mildly irritated. "I would prefer that you knock..." He paused.  "I beg you pardon. I do not know your name."

The new dwarf was short, unusually so. She also was carrying a large two handed steel sword. She smiled. “My name is Shina! I’m told you’re the one who runs this place. I've come to join the army!”

"Oh, is that all? Go see Derm. He's the local commander, and he should set you up with a squad." With that, he went back to the paperwork. Sand, that was the problem. They were always short of sand. He looked up again. Shina was still there, leaning on her sword's hilt.

"I did that. He put me in a squad all right. I think I should lead the squad, though. That's why I'm talking to you. Because you're a reasonable man, right? And you see that I'm the kind of person who should lead a squad!" She smiled again. It was an odd smile.

Oh, I'm seeing something, all right, Person thought. Still, there was something about the new dwarf that was prodding his memory. "Shina... that name is familiar."

"Oh, I doubt it, Mayor. The queen is my aunt, you know, but I had to leave a few months back. There was an accident, and they told me to go here, and I thought, why not? Got here today, so I don't see why you'd recognize my name. I wouldn't like you to assume I'm someone I'm not, or someone who did something I didn't, sir!"

"Er, right." Before Person could tell Shina just where he thought she could head, (the magma pit, preferably), someone else started knocking at the door, frantically. He stood up, trying not to look relieved. "We'll talk about this later, Shina. Until then, just pick up your equipment and do what Derm tells you. I've got fortress business to take care of."

Person’s first real act as Mayor had been to mandate the production of one amulet. His first real responsibility as Mayor was distinctly less pleasant.

“All right, tell me what happened.”

“I think she just… fell, sir. No one else was around. I just heard the scream.”

Person nodded, and walked over to where the body lay. There wasn’t really much of a body.

Cog had fallen over 50 stories. She had less hit than ground, and more been painted over it. ”She’s the one who killed Ostrug, right?”

The dwarf who’d found the remains nodded. “Yes, Person. I mean, Mayor, sir. We were going to hold a party in her honor in a week or so, actually.”

Person still wasn’t sure how he’d been elected mayor. He got on well with people, that was true, but… Whether or not he wanted the job, though, he had it. And all the trouble that went along with it. "Start cleaning this... mess up. I'll inform the militia."

Several days after Cog’s death, the horse foal in the pit died.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2011, 08:53:57 am »

((everyone loves a double post!))
I sure do!

I KNEW the blood was deadly! Oh wait, we all did. The delayed effect is delightful for prisoners though. Tossing them in a miasma filled ditch where they slowly suffocate for any number of reasons seems to be a fitting punishment for any captives who dare impede progress on the bridge.

Also - Shina likes crystal glass? No wonder she was never made a proper noble back in the mountainhomes  :P
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:42 am »

Dwarf with two-handed steel sword? nice and rare!

Cog had fallen over 50 stories. She had less hit than ground, and more been painted over it. ”She’s the one who killed Ostrug, right?”

DERM! Your arrogance of being the only beast slayer is overwhelming!!!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2011, 09:04:08 am »

Cog was the greatest hero we ever knew. Not even Derm was as great. *Salute*

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2011, 11:31:44 am »

Dwarf me as a soapmaker named Jacen.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2011, 12:35:01 pm »

Can you dwarf me (as male smith or mechanic)?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2011, 03:29:40 pm »

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties:

I admit that I was little upset when Person became mayor. Then I realized that all the various disasters that are no doubt going to happen would be landing on his desk, not mine, so I felt better. Besides, it’s given me time to get an accurate tally of everything in our stockpiles. Though seem people seemed rather miffed when I was taking stock of the shoes. Hey, I need an accurate count, and that includes the ones on your feet! (378 shoes, by the way. Not sure how that happened. There’s only 92 of us.)

I'm still working to get the bridge built, though. We had another smith arrive with that odd swordswoman, and smiths are always welcome. He didn't seem all too happy to be told to get to smelting pig iron, as he's a weaponsmith, but I told him that weapons and iron bars are basically the same thing. They basically are, right?

The whole bathing chamber thing seems to be going well, as I was approached by a soapmaker (soap? Really?) named Jacen.

He was trying to find out how much spare fat we had lying around. I told him that all of it was spare, do what you want with it, and he seemed happy about that. Should I be worried?

And of course, there’s the whole thing with Cog. Officially, it was an accident. Unofficially, it’s trouble.

Mid Autumn, 193:

Gary Featherlog spotted the creatures first. He’d been out in the now treeless fields, checking up on the various cage traps. One of them had been sprung recently, and he had high hopes for it. Another herd of elephants had moved into the area after all. The more war elephants he could train, the better.

What he saw in the cage was not an elephant, however. Nor was it alone.

After thinking, very briefly that the thing would be a tremendously fun challenge to train, he realized that about fifteen more of them were in the bushes, watching him.

He ran for the fort, screaming the alarm.

((Updates might be a bit spotty, as I'm going to be out of town for a few days. Let's hope the siege goes ok!))

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2011, 03:37:26 pm »

SSSOOOAAAPPP!!! I MUST MAKE SOAP!
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2011, 03:38:45 pm »

ENEMIES! I MUST HARVEST THEIR SOULS!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2011, 05:10:09 pm »

WE NEED A GIANT WATERWHEEL ARRAY
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2011, 11:15:15 am »

PUT UP FISTS.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2011, 07:20:26 pm »

Beak Dog Hunter wants to fight
Gary Featherlog sends out war elephant!
Elephant used Gore!
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 85