Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180440 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Re-re-taking the Bridge, Part One: Neo's Report

No one's going to read this, I know. But I want it known that someone was taking action.

Here's what happened, and why I chose the plan that I did. We know that the goblins are stupid, the ones on the bridge particularly so. It took them months to notice that we were killing them with Gar's drawbridges, and I thought it was safe to assume that they hadn't got much more observant since then. The plan I came up with, then, was to retake the bridge in sections. No dramatic "Long March", no massive, epic battles, just slow, methodical work. If we killed the goblins in small groups, they'd never realize in time to get organized until the end.

Section One, as we called it, was guarded by three goblins. Two were unimportant, but the third was a spearmaster. He'd killed a lot of people in the first attack, but I thought with forty of us charging madly down on him, we'd be safe.

Turns out, it just gave him more dwarfs to stab. The first two goblins we killed almost instantly, but that spear monster moved like... something fast, and downed at least four recruits, all who survived, at least. He might have killed them, but I got behind him and gave him a good hamstringing.

Amazing thing was, he kept crawling and fighting after that. I think he would have caused more casualties still if some marksdwarf named Slime hadn't crushed his skull with one good stomp.

Slime should not be wasted in the crossbow squad. Make a note of that. He's a bit crazy, but it's the good kind if it makes him pull off something like that.

Now, we rest, heal, reorganize, and then take on Section Two.

Three or four goblins? Easy.

Next: Hoping That's True

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile

I approve of having lots of updates!

Saving Belgium's opinion until the bridge is cleared.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

One spearmaster and four recruits down? such a waste.

What about having a ballistae at the our end of bridge and doing a few greeting shots before charging? I guess that could ocassionally maim some goblins.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((that... is an excellent idea. i should also note that the spearmaster was a goblin, and that we've now killed about... eight? goblins without a single death. for this fort, that's pretty good))

Notes from Autumn, 204

No plan goes exactly as planned, and the goblins weren't as unobservant as Neo hoped. Every day, another goblin wandered down the bridge and then, on seeing the dwarfs posted on watch, charged madly at them without any regard to safety.

Where they were immediately killed by Neo, Balnash, the Soldier, or any of the other dozen soldiers who were patrolling the ramp to the bridge.  It wasn't according to plan; it was better.

After using the highly sophisticated scouting technique know as "looking real hard", the official count of monsters on the bridge was now at thirty four goblins, (led by a swordsmaster), and seven ogres.

Make that thirty three.

During the time he'd spent trapped in the food stockpile, Gar had given a lot of thought to siege weapons. Specifically, to how siege weapons were the perfect thing for killing lots of goblins, and how he wished he had about a dozen of them.

Now that he was free, he could make that wish real.

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties

Somehow, migrants got here.

Why are they here? Because Oceanbridge is literally the safest place on the continent right now.

Nothing makes sense.

Next: Still More Stabbing

((is there anything about the fort or individual dwarfs that people would like to hear about?))

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe a list of alive dwarfs and one sentence about what each one was up to for the last year?
I can't even remember what is my dwarf. Is she a soldier or was that previous one?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:26:57 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile

How is Belgium and his quest for silly mandates, a duck on the bridge, total insanity and a large amount of cage traps doing?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe a list of alive dwarfs and one sentence about what each one was up to for the last year?
I can't even remember what is my dwarf. Is she a soldier or was that previous one?

Yes, excellent idea. Working on it now, though one sentence might turn into a couple paragraphs of general update on their condition. Update soon.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

Just got caught up. Loving how you're writing all of this. If there are any alive, I would like to be dorfed as the following as your best swordsdwarf who is almost at par with Neo:

Name: Highmax

Profession: Swords Enthusiast

From: A fortress overrun by strange monsters with zombie wars. Fortress fell from a zombie's head ( )

Personality: Believes the Soldier about the dead walking. Fears necromancers. Loves to fight. Always ready to lead the charge with a war cry and a victory speech. Also very quick to anger, but very kind and almost childlike when at peace. Also hates elves with a passion for their love of trees and their cannibalism. He is intrigued by the Jotunar (yay Jotunheim!)

As a side note, is it 40d that allows marriage or is that part of the mod you're using?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)
« Reply #1178 on: September 02, 2013, 10:28:17 am »

I'm still a luuuurrrrkeerrrrr... For now.

MOAR NAO!!!

OCEANBRIDGE WITHDRAWALS... SO... AGONIZING...

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)
« Reply #1179 on: September 20, 2013, 12:07:19 pm »

Did this thread just die?  :-\

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: September 20, 2013, 02:59:39 pm »

No, you just applied the defib in time.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: September 20, 2013, 03:29:13 pm »

Don't worry, it's been dormant for much longer in the past.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: September 20, 2013, 09:20:20 pm »

Whoot! Lets hope we get an update soon! Btw, paaaad, love your image. Its bionicle, right?

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: September 21, 2013, 06:04:31 pm »

Whoot! Lets hope we get an update soon! Btw, paaaad, love your image. Its bionicle, right?

Recolored, but yes.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: September 21, 2013, 06:14:57 pm »

Ok, yes. Should get an update out soon! Also, I swear now that I'll never again say "update soon" after this, because that never seems to go well.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 85