Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180483 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From The Journals of Aban Brothertreaties:

We've taken back the surface!

Well, we've got a small bit of the surface back, at least. The old trade depot is ours again, basically thanks to Neo, who is, I think, the best soldier we have now, bar none. Unfortunately, we've lost yet another mayor.

Ok, I know I need more detail. After the Soldier and everyone got the first floor back, and we found Gar, Gar himself started demanding that we take the bridge back, immediately. When someone suggested he come up with a plan... well, he had half a dozen of them ready. It's Gar, they should have expected that. The one about releasing a bunch of ape-men on the goblins and hoping they fought/exploded on them was dismissed pretty quickly, (though who knows! It might have worked)

,and instead we settled on drawing the goblins near the depot into a new line of traps. That... didn't work. I mean, we still won, but not that way.

Neo led the a squad up, accompanied by the mayor (who may just have wanted to see the surface again, I don't know). It turned out there were only two spear-goblins left nearby, and they saw Neo before he saw them.

The squad was ambushed, he told me, and while he killed one of the creatures right away, the other went for the mayor.

Who charged madly at the thing, didn't manage to hurt it at all, and was speared through the skull for his troubles.

Neo chopped it to pieces after, but there's not much even the best surgeons can do for a pierced brain. And we don't have the best.

The good news from that is that we are officially no longer under siege! (The fifty-eight goblins remaining being a minor inconvienence apparently). And the other (Good? Bad?) news is that we have a new mayor.

And he seems to be someone who is completely insane. I don't know, I never know.

Next: Rebuilding

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile

Oh man this is great I love you dwarf fortress. and you varnish.

FROM THE DIARY OF MAYOR OH BELGIUM THAT ELEPHANT LOOKS HUNGRY

HUZZAH! I seem to be the new mayor! I have no idea how the last one died. I totally didn't start throwing paper aeroplanes at the squad so he got stabbed in the brain. What is an aeroplane, anyway? I'll have to go look that up.
Anyway, today is the start of my mayor-ly duties! I presume this includes having people shout at me and making stupid mandates. I mean, it's a tradition to make stupid mandates and get someone hit in the skull for it, isn't it? So, what should I make... Adamantine hammers?... Naa, too stupid...
HUZZAH! I'll go mandate the construction of a statue of a duck on the bridge! It will be GLORIOUS. However, Aban seems to not be sure about my insanity! If my name isn't Oh belgium that elephant looks hungry (peace be upon the trampled rotting corpses of my ancestors), I shall go fix this at once! I shall go tell him my mandate, and that I need an office, and that I am completely bonkers thank you very much!

Also I shall do it completely in rhyme.

GOOD DAY, DIARY!
-Oh belgium that elephant looks hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • 10^9
    • View Profile

From the journal of Billon, weaponsmith:

So we have a new mayor who is now yelling something about duck statues. Hope he doesn't want them made out of aluminum.

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile

Excerpt from the Memoirs of Nathail, Animal Trainer and Ghost of Oceanbridge

Mayor died. Saw 'im wandering around, moaning about aluminum. I had a look at the newly elected one; he seems indubitably bonkers. I saw him writing about making a debatably official mandate for a giant duck statue on the Bridge. Given that the Goblins seem to be contemplating building a town there, I doubt that'll pan out.

In other news, I've yet to be resurrected (although it feels like some curse over the cosmos has lifted slightly), and there are no bears or lions as of yet...

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey im just wondering is i could get a dwarf i posted about this before but i think i got overlooked. Anyways id like his name to be dawnofdarkness and if possible a swordsdwarf but any position will do.
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So the good news is that I should have a computer of my own in about... a week? I hope, at least. And the good news is that I'll be able start updating regularly again! And there is no bad news!

Ok.

IcepickTrotsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry to hear things went belly-up for a while there, but happy to see it's all back and going again!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, ok. Now it's going to be back and going again. Now I have a new computer.

Sigh. Moving onwards.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile

I want to share a little information, if it was already mentioned ignore this.

Beware! I know from my own fort over the ocean, that if you visit it later in adventure mode, and the pillar that connects the bridge to the shore is too far away from you (unloads), the game treats the bridge as if it were in mid air, and it will start to disintegrate, the whole fort will fall into the ocean!

I had to put supporting pillars down to the ocean floor, and made sure that the spacing between is not too large, this enables the game to always see one pillar.
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Advice is always welcome, but at this point my main goal is to get rid of the goblins so we actually can work on the bridge again))

The New Mayor

Aban opened the door to the mayor's office. Oddly enough, she didn't feel worried, even though she couldn't remember any meeting with a new mayor that had gone well. It didn't matter this time, though. There was no reason to be worried anymore. No matter how mad this "oh belgium" man was, she was certain that she'd seen madder.

He was, she saw as the door swung open, doing his best to prove her wrong. He was standing on top of the artifact coffin (one of the few artifacts to survive every rise and fall of Oceanbridge, appropriately enough), poking at the ceiling, and occasionally licking it.

"Hello there, Aban! Just the dwarf I called for. And I'm sure that's why you're here, because I called for you. That's great! Anyway, I wanted to tell you that I've been looking all over my new office for something.

I couldn't find it, of course, not even in the roof here, and I realized, the reason that I couldn't find it is because it doesn't exist! Just like that duck statue I demanded! You need to start making non-existant things exist, Aban."

So, she thought, he was going to be one of those. Still, she could try to prevent the inevitable. Maybe the thing he wanted did exist somewhere. So many merchants had died and left their goods behind; it was hard to walk without tripping over some lost lead flute...

She should probably answer, instead of just staring at him, Aban realized. "Well, 'oh belgium'- I mean, Mayor, I've got lists of pretty much everything in the fort. Tell me what you need. Maybe you just haven't looked in the right places, because-"

"Fine pewter flatware, Aban. That's what I want, no, need! And I know what you're thinking, just what is flatware? It's silverware, only made from fine pewter, you foolish person! How can a dine with the finest of cutlery when you don't even know what cutlery is?"

She got through the rest of the conversation on automatic, and left oh belgium that elephant looks hungry trying to make a bed out of the coffin.

Gar was waiting for her outside. "So what does the new "mayor" want us to do"

She shrugged. "Make fine pewter forks, on pain of death or poetry."

"Should I start bricking him up in his office right now?"

"Well... not yet. Honestly, I was expecting something worse."

Next: Merchants?

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

HUZZAH! I have managed to think of a needlessly useless object to mandate! I have ordered the construction of some fine pewter cutlery, which is total and complete idiocy because dwarfs don't even use plates! IT'S BRILLIANT! Now that I've been a useless noble for a while, it's time to go see what I can do.

I wonder if I can use my BRILLIANT CONVERSATION SKILLS to convince the overseer to get rid of those goblins. Now, let's begin with the thinkery...

Ahah! Idea get! Time to prepare what I'm going to say...

GOOD DAY, DIARY!

(attached to the diary, a small speech was found)

Greetings, my favourite and only overseer Aban! Was it Brothertreaties? I forget, I'm writing this out instead of doing this from scratch so I'm just rambling on the paper, you know? That's why I will have this little piece of paper along with me. Now, back to business.

Since I have proved my insanity, and done the traditional task of mandating something completely useless and arbitrary, I would like to ask why by the trampled rotting corpses of my ancestors (peace be upon them) there are still goblins out there. I would like to make a suggestion on how to solve this problem!

(at this point a masterful drawing of a corridor filled with traps and screaming goblins is shown)

THIS, in my own words, IS THE CORRIDOR OF SOLVING THAT PROBLEM WITH ALL THE GOBLINS ON THE BRIDGE! Here is what we need to do.

Firstly, we must obtain a miner and pick. Or some soapmaker with a pick. Either works. Secondly, we must obtain lots and lots of cage traps. Thirdly, we must build those walls with the holes in them that you can shoot through, and put them on either side of the corridor, with someone behind them watching them so we don't get ambushed. Then we station some military dwarfs behind a door. Once this is done, we draw the goblins into the trap with the lure of horrible pain being inflicted upon the fortress, and the majority of them shall be caught. The ones that are not caught shall be set upon by the valiant rabidness of our army, and we shall take the cages into a room before INFLICTING HORRIBLE PAIN UPON THEM MUAHAHAHAHAAAA! Thank you for your time.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

Fine pewter stuff is useful, when loaded into shotgun.

Otherwise else it's a crap.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((What an excellent mayor belgium is going to make)

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties

So, I knew right away that we had nothing made of fine pewter, and certainly no fine pewter bars. I mean, I keep the stockpile records, they're about the only thing that makes sense here. No pewter of any kind, anywhere. And that means resigning ourselves to whatever it is this mayor considers a punishment.

But not yet, because human merchants have arrived! Amazing timing, really. They arrived just after we lifted the siege. And just when we had actually got up to the surface again, and could see them approach, know that they were human, and not try to kill them! Luck, or something else? Or I guess that humans could have been coming for months, and it's just that all the other caravans were massacred while we were stuck inside the caverns.

I hope they aren't angry with us... Balnash is out there letting them in right now.

"I don't like this, Balnash. What if they aren't humans? What if they're just... I don't know, elfs dressed up in the skins of humans?"

"If that ain't a frightenin' picture i don't know what is, but come on, Di, look at 'em. They're human. Elves don't look that dirty or tired, or... normal. Tell 'em to lower the gate."

The human merchant looked surprised when the gate finally did come down, as it almost did so on top of her. She jumped back, and said, "By the spirits! Dwarves!" To her guards, she said "Put the crossbows down, men. Turns out that they are still alive." There were six guards, Balnash noted, but they were poorly armed and had even worse armor, which looked like it had been made out of cast offs. The merchant herself wasn't much better off, dressed in what could only be described as rags. She brushed at them, and then to Balnash said,  "Greetings to you, still living dwarfs. I am Satheth, also still living. May we enter the safety of your walls?"

Balnash nodded and shook her offered hand, saying, " Yeah, of course. But you need to tell me that you're still alive?"

The human nodded, as she motioned for the rest of the caravan to follow her in. "These days, of course. The walking dead are everywhere, speardwarf. Though not around this place, strangely. Perhaps your home lands are protected by yak spirits, as ours are. We had assumed they were not, and that you had all perished."

That wasn't strange, he thougt. "Wait, if you thought we were dead, what were you comin' here for? That would mean no one to trade with. Were you here to steal or something?"

"Oh my, yes. We were just going to loot the place and move on, my friend. No offence meant, of course. But since you are still alive, might we trade with you?"

His first instinct was to say no. His second, and much brighter instinct was to remind himself that the humans were the first non-evil living things they had seen in a long time, dear gods, let them in and buy all the booze and food that they've got, what's wrong with you?

The second though won out.

They had just closed the gate behind him when a group of goblins sprung out of ambush and fired a few arrows in the direction of the fort.

The humans at least were startled, and became even more so at what happened next.

"My word! That goblin just exploded!"

Balnash looked up, and saw a pillar of smoke where the ambush group had been. He shrugged. "Yeah, that happens. So, we got some nice mugs here if you want to take a look..."

Next: In the Tunnel

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the Tunnel

Remalle, Ishar and the other miners were still hard at work in the tunnel. They'd been digging for months, and Ishar was beginning to think that they'd be digging for years more. She (mostly) trusted that Remalle knew where they were going. But they had been digging for a long, long time.

"Hey Remalle. You think we're going to be the best miners the world has ever seen by the time we get to the other side? Wherever that is?"

He didn't answer right away. Mining under an ocean wasn't exactly safe, and he spent a lot of time listening for tell-tale sounds of water tricking into the tunnel. After a long silence, he said, "No. There was a miner, Karakzon. He was the best."

"Karakzon? I think I've heard the name, one of my cousins or aunts might have been here back when he was around! You might have known her too. She was named Ishar." Sure enough, Remalle nodded. Ishar continued, "You remember everyone who lived in Oceanbridge, don't you?"

"I do, yeah. Someone has to. Now stop talking, and dig. We're almost to the other shore, I think."

Next: Hopefully, Dead Goblins

((I got a plan))

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh look. Humans. I hope we get more booze! Their brewing's not good enough to make even the slightest bit of dwarven wine, but those surface plants make the best booze anyway! One day, I can only hope that we have some sort of surface-based farm, the duck proudly looking over them...

Ah, yes, that's a good question. How could we get surface plants? Maybe we could dig a deep pit and drop another chunk of dirt on it, giving the plants a place to grow while being safely underground...

And what did I mandate...? Well, I shall have to ask about that.

GOOD DAY, DIARY!
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 85