Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stop the auto-pause!  (Read 10136 times)

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
Stop the auto-pause!
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:52:07 pm »

I spend an awful, and I mean AWFUL, amount of time in Dwarf Fortress designating my fort's layout. This is not a problem for me, because I like to see the fort going up piece by piece. My problem is that when I'm designating my fortress pauses and I don't want it to. If it didn't pause, then the dwarves could work and continue to grow the fort. Instead, after a day spent pressing arrow keys and enter, I only have those lovely brown rectangles to show for a good days work. Can we (I) please have an auto-pause disable option in the INIT?

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stop the auto-pause!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:53:22 pm »

IIRC you can disable auto-pause.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 10:27:36 pm »

I believe it's actually in the init.  Hang on, I'll check...

Yep.  Look in data>init>announcements.txt.  When you have something like
[AMBUSH_THIEF_SUPPORT_SKULKING:A_D:D_D:P:R], the P:R is what's making it auto-pause.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 11:02:48 pm »

I don't think that actually answers his issue, which is that the game is in a 'paused' state while he's using other commands, in this particular case designation, not that the game is pausing when a thief shows.

Unless [AMBUSH_THIEF_SUPPORT_SKULKING] has nothing to do with thieves or skulking enemies...
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:57:46 am »

Oh, I see what you mean.

You want the game to continue running when you are designating. That would be quite useful.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 03:30:47 pm »

Oh, I see what you mean.

You want the game to continue running when you are designating. That would be quite useful.

That would be quite insane change of pace (for good).

Both constructions and digs would be much less painfull. Especially constructions.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 12:39:15 am »

Instead of an init option, just make it so you can pause/unpause right there ingame.

I prefer keeping it paused when i'm designating, so if for example i make a mistake with designating stuff to mine and i don't realize the mistake until i check everything's designated right, that mistake won't end up with a FB being freed because that one wall i accidentally marked for mining was the one wall keeping the FB out. Etc.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 11:04:37 pm »

That would be quite insane change of pace (for good).

Both constructions and digs would be much less painfull. Especially constructions.

Exactly, and it would be wonders for those of us with slower computers. Time flies when you're designating, but watching dwarves dig is like watching yourself cut your toenails, on repeat.

Instead of an init option, just make it so you can pause/unpause right there ingame.

Much better idea! It already has a separate key binding, so it don't think it would be that much of a game menu behavior change.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 06:41:49 am »

I think the reason this isn't already in the game is that space originally filled the same role as escape does now when navigating menus. Now it doesn't, so I think this would be a good idea.
[Signature]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 12:09:38 pm »

Boy are you guys going to pay for not having the auto-pause.

It will be glorious.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 04:49:47 pm »

Agreed. It should definitely work like the (s)quads menu does, where you can pause the game while giving orders, or leave it running, because there are definitely situations for both.

As a bonus, it'd make the squads menu not feel quite so foreign and different from everything else in dwarf fortress, because you'd be used to pausing/unpausing while in a menu.

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 10:51:18 pm »

One thing that would be helpful and somewhat related to this is the ability to enable/disable auto-pause from within the game. For example wet/warm stone discovery. The reason I am saying from within the game is that there are situations where you know that digging in that area is safe and you want to do it anyway. That add-on to that would be to be able to turn off designation cancellations under certain conditions as well, and for the same reason.
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 06:31:51 am »

I prefer keeping it paused when i'm designating, so if for example i make a mistake with designating stuff to mine and i don't realize the mistake until i check everything's designated right, that mistake won't end up with a FB being freed because that one wall i accidentally marked for mining was the one wall keeping the FB out. Etc.
Agreed. I actually like how the game pauses; it means that my miner won't starve while I'm trying to figure out how to dig him out.

One thing that would be helpful and somewhat related to this is the ability to enable/disable auto-pause from within the game. For example wet/warm stone discovery. The reason I am saying from within the game is that there are situations where you know that digging in that area is safe and you want to do it anyway. That add-on to that would be to be able to turn off designation cancellations under certain conditions as well, and for the same reason.
Like if you know that the stone is damp from the river overhead?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 09:04:31 am »

From the river over head or the room you just flooded playing with levers, or warm from the magma vent below.
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 07:53:21 am »

It needs to be an init option, whether to have normal auto-pause or toggling auto-pause.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.
Pages: [1] 2